You are not logged in.

  • Register to access all forum features  

#1

ben2363
Member
Joined: 05 April 2016
Posts: 145
Member
15 April 2019 03:27 pm

I found a big patch of pyrite in a quartz vein. What is the likelihood of it containing gold??

#2

grubstake
Member
From: Perth, WA
Joined: 20 October 2014
Posts: 1,858
Member
15 April 2019 03:53 pm

How far away is the nearest known occurrence of gold?


Where it is, there it is.

#3

ben2363
Member
Joined: 05 April 2016
Posts: 145
Member
15 April 2019 03:57 pm

Same area.. good gold came out of a mine about 200 metres north

#4

ben2363
Member
Joined: 05 April 2016
Posts: 145
Member
18 April 2019 06:15 am

Most of the pyrites are in the host rock which is slate.

1 user likes this post: Hunting the yellow

#5

Hunting the yellow
Member
From: down a hole
Joined: 20 December 2012
Posts: 1,792
Member
21 April 2019 08:17 pm

ben2363 wrote:

Most of the pyrites are in the host rock which is slate.

can be a good indicator if its a type of layer/vain of pyrites in the slate or in-between the slate and a quartz reef


A dream written down with a date becomes a goal a goal broken down into steps becomes a plan a plan backed by action becomes reality.

1 user likes this post: CreviceSucker

#6

goldierocks
Member
Joined: 10 January 2015
Posts: 1,489
Member
21 April 2019 09:16 pm

Hunting the yellow wrote:
ben2363 wrote:

Most of the pyrites are in the host rock which is slate.

can be a good indicator if its a type of layer/vain of pyrites in the slate or in-between the slate and a quartz reef

In places like Victoria, most pyrite in slate is older than gold and not directly associated with it. Why not dolly your sample and pan it?


Robert Benchley...
I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it.

#7

crustydog
Member
Joined: 14 April 2015
Posts: 76
Member
23 April 2019 09:01 am

My observations were that the gold was not contained in or in contact with the pyrite. There was however plenty of gold in the quartz veins in the same vicinity. This was from a underground narrow vein gold mine in a very well known gold feild.
Crush and sample would be the only way to know for sure.


One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make it worth watching.

1 user likes this post: Hunting the yellow

#8

ben2363
Member
Joined: 05 April 2016
Posts: 145
Member
26 April 2019 01:06 pm

In the old reports a mine in the same tonne was getting 10oz to a tonne by ccrushing and possessing the pyrites..

As the pyrite is in the quartz and also the host rock ill have to go back and get a sample and see

1 user likes this post: crustydog

#9

goldierocks
Member
Joined: 10 January 2015
Posts: 1,489
Member
26 April 2019 01:24 pm

Gold in pyrite is tricky. Firstly, you need to be sure that the pyrite is of the same age as the gold (a geologist can tell, but it is tricky for anyone else). Secondly, when gold does occur in pyrite and arsenopyrite, it can be extremely rich in some cases e.g more than 10 oz/tonne but so fine that if you dolly it, it can float on water simply because of the surface tension of water (less than one micron grain size). No easy answer, try dollying it - otherwise assay is the only way.


Robert Benchley...
I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it.

3 users like this post: crustydog, CreviceSucker, Hunting the yellow

#10

jethro
Member
From: North East , VIC
Joined: 06 September 2013
Posts: 544
Member
26 April 2019 03:13 pm

goldierocks wrote:

. No easy answer, try dollying it - otherwise assay is the only way.

Could the test using Stannous chloride to indicate the presence of Gold be used on a sample of crushed Pyrite.?

#11

CreviceSucker
Member
Joined: 24 November 2013
Posts: 82
Member
26 April 2019 08:05 pm

You have some good answers to your OP question above so I don’t need to add anything , just sharing these pics though.

I have had this speci for years , it’s got some weight in it but it’s been packed away and I have never waved a detector over it , pyrite is well bonded under the quartz , it’s about 4 inches long.

1556269921_ad45bf03-3103-45dd-8336-fe7f98477d55.jpg

1556270145_pyrite_and.jpg

Last edited by CreviceSucker (26 April 2019 08:15 pm)

1 user likes this post: RM Outback

#12

Hunting the yellow
Member
From: down a hole
Joined: 20 December 2012
Posts: 1,792
Member
26 April 2019 08:32 pm

goldierocks wrote:
Hunting the yellow wrote:
ben2363 wrote:

Most of the pyrites are in the host rock which is slate.

can be a good indicator if its a type of layer/vain of pyrites in the slate or in-between the slate and a quartz reef

In places like Victoria, most pyrite in slate is older than gold and not directly associated with it. Why not dolly your sample and pan it?

I said in-between the slate and vain as an indicator to gold I've found this handy because in some places there's gold in the quartz reef. not in/with the gold directly/combined to it chemically. are you a qualified geologist ?? or even worked in the mining industry ? because most of the things you say don't make much sense to me maybe not enough actual field study and more just reading of books on geology.


A dream written down with a date becomes a goal a goal broken down into steps becomes a plan a plan backed by action becomes reality.

#13

Hunting the yellow
Member
From: down a hole
Joined: 20 December 2012
Posts: 1,792
Member
26 April 2019 08:35 pm

crustydog wrote:

My observations were that the gold was not contained in or in contact with the pyrite. There was however plenty of gold in the quartz veins in the same vicinity. This was from a underground narrow vein gold mine in a very well known gold feild.
Crush and sample would be the only way to know for sure.

yes that is what I mean like a sandwich quartz vain in the middle slate both sides and pyrite in-between the slate and quartz reef have found this to be a valuable indicator as gold is sometimes found in the quartz reef.


A dream written down with a date becomes a goal a goal broken down into steps becomes a plan a plan backed by action becomes reality.

#14

Hunting the yellow
Member
From: down a hole
Joined: 20 December 2012
Posts: 1,792
Member
26 April 2019 08:37 pm

CreviceSucker wrote:

You have some good answers to your OP question above so I don’t need to add anything , just sharing these pics though.

I have had this speci for years , it’s got some weight in it but it’s been packed away and I have never waved a detector over it , pyrite is well bonded under the quartz , it’s about 4 inches long.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … 477d55.jpg

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … te_and.jpg

beautiful specimen


A dream written down with a date becomes a goal a goal broken down into steps becomes a plan a plan backed by action becomes reality.

#15

grubstake
Member
From: Perth, WA
Joined: 20 October 2014
Posts: 1,858
Member
26 April 2019 08:49 pm

Hunting the yellow wrote:
goldierocks wrote:
Hunting the yellow wrote:
ben2363 wrote:

Most of the pyrites are in the host rock which is slate.

can be a good indicator if its a type of layer/vain of pyrites in the slate or in-between the slate and a quartz reef

In places like Victoria, most pyrite in slate is older than gold and not directly associated with it. Why not dolly your sample and pan it?

I said in-between the slate and vain as an indicator to gold I've found this handy because in some places there's gold in the quartz reef. not in/with the gold directly/combined to it chemically. are you a qualified geologist ?? or even worked in the mining industry ? because most of the things you say don't make much sense to me maybe not enough actual field study and more just reading of books on geology.

You're not doing yourself any favours by questioning the credentials of one of the most highly-qualified and experienced contributors to PA, mate.

From https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … 51#p125651:

goldierocks wrote:

I graduated 45 years ago and have a PhD in it and have been a full-time geology lecturer, researcher (eg CSIRO gold research group) and gold explorer ever since, on four continents, and have found some mines, one gold mine still operating


Where it is, there it is.

4 users like this post: Eluvial, RM Outback, Billy, rusting

#16

goldierocks
Member
Joined: 10 January 2015
Posts: 1,489
Member
26 April 2019 09:16 pm

Hunting the yellow wrote:
goldierocks wrote:
Hunting the yellow wrote:
ben2363 wrote:

Most of the pyrites are in the host rock which is slate.

can be a good indicator if its a type of layer/vain of pyrites in the slate or in-between the slate and a quartz reef

In places like Victoria, most pyrite in slate is older than gold and not directly associated with it. Why not dolly your sample and pan it?

I said in-between the slate and vain as an indicator to gold I've found this handy because in some places there's gold in the quartz reef. not in/with the gold directly/combined to it chemically. are you a qualified geologist ?? or even worked in the mining industry ? because most of the things you say don't make much sense to me maybe not enough actual field study and more just reading of books on geology.

Probably, combined with many decades consulting to the mining industry on gold, on many continents, and finding at least one gold mine smile

Always thought I was qualified sad

All tongue in cheek - what I told you was correct though...…

I think someone else not you made that as a general comment - you only provided the information about how the pyrite occurred in the same way in your example AFTER I replied to you. I would agree pyrite of that type is probably the same age as the gold. Not clear what " most of the things" were that you disagreed with. Happy to give examples if you clarify.

Last edited by goldierocks (26 April 2019 10:15 pm)


Robert Benchley...
I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it.

3 users like this post: RM Outback, grubstake, Billy

#17

Ward69
Member
Joined: 16 May 2018
Posts: 371
Member
26 April 2019 09:32 pm

Hi Goldierocks. I need a little help from you please. Can you read my topic. Today's finds. And give me a pm. I don't understand the logic. Thanks. Mark

#18

goldierocks
Member
Joined: 10 January 2015
Posts: 1,489
Member
26 April 2019 10:10 pm

Ward69 wrote:

Hi Goldierocks. I need a little help from you please. Can you read my topic. Today's finds. And give me a pm. I don't understand the logic. Thanks. Mark

Sorry I don't understand the question (I went to Todays Finds and it seems to relate to coins)?


Robert Benchley...
I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it.

#19

grubstake
Member
From: Perth, WA
Joined: 20 October 2014
Posts: 1,858
Member
26 April 2019 10:16 pm

goldierocks wrote:
Ward69 wrote:

Hi Goldierocks. I need a little help from you please. Can you read my topic. Today's finds. And give me a pm. I don't understand the logic. Thanks. Mark

Sorry I don't understand the question (I went to Todays Finds and it seems to relate to coins)?

This is the one (scroll down):
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … =30256&p=1


Where it is, there it is.

#20

goldierocks
Member
Joined: 10 January 2015
Posts: 1,489
Member
26 April 2019 10:31 pm

grubstake wrote:
goldierocks wrote:
Ward69 wrote:

Hi Goldierocks. I need a little help from you please. Can you read my topic. Today's finds. And give me a pm. I don't understand the logic. Thanks. Mark

Sorry I don't understand the question (I went to Todays Finds and it seems to relate to coins)?

This is the one (scroll down):
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … =30256&p=1

Have sent PM - interesting!


Robert Benchley...
I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it.

#21

ben2363
Member
Joined: 05 April 2016
Posts: 145
Member
06 May 2019 03:02 pm

Update i got a some chip samples.. of the pyrite crush some and there is gold very fine but gold


Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site

Top