First detector short list - Makro Racer 2 or Equinox 600

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all and thanks for a very informative forum. Ive searched around the forum and started to pick up some useful information - thanks to you all.

As my first detector I have narrowed my choice down to either a Makro Racer 2 or a Nox 600.

Id be really interested in hearing from members who have experience or knowledge on both to help with comparing the two.

Cheers, Jack

DropBear said:
Welcome dude!
Thanks Drop Bear :Y: looking forward to the big learning curve ahead

old hand said:
what do you want the detector for coins relics. I had a makro am using a equinox 800 now much happier regards john :D

Sorry I should have clarified that I am using it for coins and relics.

The Nox promotes the multifrequency ability unlike the Makro Racer 2. Im interested in opinions on this also. Does this significantly make the Nox 600 superior?

Hi Jack,

Welcome to the forum.

The Racer 2 at its new price of $725 and the Nox 6000 at $999 rrp, I think the Racer 2 is probably more closely in line with the X-terra 705, but I have personally owned both, and am an agent for both brands, so happy to do a a quick comparo:

Batteries:
Racer 2 runs on 4 x AAs, Equinox uses a built-in LiPo pack.

Coils:
Racer 2 comes stock with an 11x7" coil, Equinox comes with an 11" round
Racer 2 has about 8 optional accessory coils, Equinox has 2.

Weight/balance:
Both are about the same weight, but I think the Racer 2 is better balanced, mainly due to having some of the circuitry and batteries out the back under the armrest.
But there's also ergonomic differences with the straight shaft vs s-bend shaft, with fans of both, so this is very much a personal thing.

Waterproof'ness:
Equinox is rated to 3m (not the stock headphones), Racer 2 is not waterproof, only the coils.

Wireless:
Racer 2 has 2.4 Ghz wireless ability, but can only pair up with Nokta/Makro wireless headphones.
Equinox can pair up to Bluetooth or Low Latency Bluetooth, so you have many more options when it comes to headphones.

Frequency:
Racer 2 is using a common happy medium 14 kHz. This is perfectly fine for most coin and relic hunting.
Equinox 600 has a choice of 5, 10 or 15 kHz, or MultiIQ (multi simultaneous freq)

Performance:
This is a very tricky one, as a lot comes down to settings, and user experience, coil being used, how you are using the machines discrimination etc etc.
One key difference is that the Racer 2's recovery speed is pre-set for each mode. The Equinox 600's recovery speed is adjustable.
The MultiIQ is also very good on low conductors, and seems to have the sensitivity of a machine with a frequency closer to 30 kHz. On the beach the Racer 2 is very stable for a VLF, but ground balance needs to be at or close to zero, so some depth is lost. The Equinox works very well on wet salt sand - this is probably one of the biggest differences with Minelab multi-frequency machines.

In general terms, the Nokta & Makro machines like other Euro detectors are very fast machines with very little filtering, so they "talk" to you. You can really hear what is going on under your coil, but in saying this, the Racer 2 is one of the more tame units they've put out - not a roaring lion like the Fors Relic is/was. Minelab machines tend to be quieter running, but the Equinox with a fast recovery and high sensitivity can start to talk to you if that's what you want.

There are many other subtle differences and lots of similarities but I don't want this becoming an essay ;)

Hope that gives you a better idea on some of the key differences.

Cheers, Nenad

Wallaby Jack said:
The Nox promotes the multifrequency ability unlike the Makro Racer 2. Im interested in opinions on this also. Does this significantly make the Nox 600 superior?

It certainly does if you think you might like to try hunting for coins and jewellery in damp sand or shallow water at a beach. A multi-frequency detector can handle both the mineralisation of the sand/mud AND the effect of the salt water, whereas a single frequency detector cannot do both at the same time and will be very noisy to operate unless its sensitivity is turned down, in which case it loses much of the depth at which it can detect a metal object.

Thanks very much Nenad for your comprehensive comparison. Exactly what I was after :Y:

If I can ask you another question regarding the Nox 800 with the gold function. I don't plan to do any dedicated gold detecting, and I understand the gold function on a NOX 800 will not be as good as a dedicated gold detector. I have read that it will work to a point depending on how mineralised the ground is?

cheers grubstake :Y: I plan to do a lot around the surf coast so this will help, cheers grubstake :Y:

I cannot speak on the equinox 600 as I does not have the gold mode that why I got the 800, there are others on the forum using 600 they are using them for coin and relic detecting.What ever you decide on make a few phone calls to get the best $ even try Anaconda regards john :Y:

Wallaby Jack said:
Thanks very much Nenad for your comprehensive comparison. Exactly what I was after :Y:

If I can ask you another question regarding the Nox 800 with the gold function. I don't plan to do any dedicated gold detecting, and I understand the gold function on a NOX 800 will not be as good as a dedicated gold detector. I have read that it will work to a point depending on how mineralised the ground is?

cheers grubstake :Y: I plan to do a lot around the surf coast so this will help, cheers grubstake :Y:

Yes, the Gold modes on the 800 give you extra flexibility, and not just for gold detecting. It basically gives you a tone modulated signal response option. I've found this goes very deep on gold rings. The 800 also gives you 20 and 40 kHz single frequency options.

The Racer 2 all metal mode is a true threshold based mode which can be used in the goldfields. It also has an adjustable iSat so you can fine tune it for different soils and keep the threshold steady.

Hope that helps.