Matting at head of sluice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hehe riffles arse bout isn't ideal.
I think you may be right with regards to heaps of cons, I had decent flow, more than normal and it was struggling to clean and dance around.
Guess well see how it goes next time. :Y:

Good discussion guys!!

Reminds me of the old days, bashing idea's around with Wal!!

Anyway, if I may, no riffles in the top of the launder... let the material bash onto the slick plate, and start to move...
That is a very important part of stratification..

Then, have your version of hungarian riffles, facing the right way!! (Shit I've done it on a big plant!!!..dont ask the outcome.. )

In my experiance, all your gold will be in the first third of the launder, if you find gold further down, you need to look at your inputs.. ie water, and burden.
Do not clean up every 10 minutes!! Set it up right, and do the day, if you are in a producing area!

Agreed with a comment above, I wouldn't even bothered to set every thing up, unless I got colour in the pan..

I have left a plant overnight, with the sluice 'loaded', I was tired, big day, went home...
In the morning I could not even scratch the dirt in the mesh.... it was like concrete!, so when I started the plant up, and turned the water on, did any gold in the new dirt, just go straight on thru??
I'll never know, but I never did it again!
Clean up at the end of the day!

Simmo said:
Do not clean up every 10 minutes!! Set it up right, and do the day, if you are in a producing area!
You see the difference is you are/were apparently mining as a business.
Myself and the OP are just going simply to have an enjoyable day out.
Digging all day and nothing else doesn't do it for me.
Also , when I start my hole , I like to know in which direction I need to enlarge my hole , and without frequent cleanups , you wouldn't know.
You could well be digging material void of gold.

I go to Slaty Creek and there ain't a lot of Gold because it has been turned over many many times , and there is every chance you could be shovelling somebodies tailings.

Nah there is no differance apart from scale. The concept is the same.
Gold is where you find it and can be/is very patchy.
Very rarely would you find a solid 'run'.
And stopping going in one direction because you think the run has stopped is quite counter productive really. You can tell that in a couple of shovels full.

Hi all going to walhalla this Thursday and Friday and never have been there before to do a little panning, the wife has had some major shoulder surgery so not wanting to go to much off road she needs to get away for a bit and I need to fix that itch . Are there any creeks or streams that might have good access to?? For a few hrs is there anywhere in stringers creek that's allowed?? Or in the surrounding area thanks all.

Aw dang
Did he dirt soften up with water passing over ?
My area that most times I find gold spec her and there is freestone creek above briagalong.

If I crevis Ill just pan it out.
But digging a hole behind something like a big rock and theres a bit more rock and dirt involve I like
To suck it pump it classify and send it on down the sluice. Then after that hole is done check clean up then see whats in the pan.

Definetly interested to see how you go at whalhala
Im keen to go back to that area and coopers creek.
Two weekends ago after a failed mechanical failure forby trip got mobile and swung into coopers on the way home to sale.
Found a few specs just panning.
But the spot I was in made me feel a bit weird lol
It smelt funny not like the bush normally does and chemically oil slick in the water.
Found a tunnel but didnt have waders or gumboots.
If you head to Wally or its not far from you it might be good to catch up.
I dont know many people here let alone prospectors.
Cheers cam

Guys there is no need to do clean ups to see if your still on the gold, thats what the pan is for lol
Just simply do a pan or two every few buckets and if your still getting gold in the pan you keep sluicing it, clean up is only needed if your riffles are visibly blocked up which shouldnt happen but in some places it can due to heavy amounts of ironston.
For example at tuena theres a heap of ironstone and I mean a heap so i run for half day and clean out the top section, to see the results the matting gets rinsed into a bucket and I reset and keep running, even so I believe I could run all day and not loose any gold.
Also different areas such as high ironstone areas is where differen riffle types come into the equation

Or you could just run a vortex dream mat and you can see the gold in the mat without doing clean ups. using miners moss and expanded mesh is just so time consuming

Thanks fellas
Yeah I do understand the logic following good etc
I just like running he sluice just because lol
Its cool its a toy to play with and I like to set it up
And experiment with setup also.
Im hanging to build a highbanker to have a fonat a bank Ive found.
Same sort of scenario with the sluice I want to just shovel it in and see what comes out.
Came very close to buying some dream mat lol

Some spots I like to pan or use the mini sluice.
Cheers :Y:

Digginholes said:
Guys there is no need to do clean ups to see if your still on the gold, thats what the pan is for lol
Just simply do a pan or two every few buckets
i can do a clean up in less time than it takes to do 2 pans

Answered my own question: Bunning's still sell the matting "Ideal 1m Black Fine Rib Rubber Matting Sheet" I/N: 6611081, they cut lengths less than 1m despite quoting a price per meter only.

Cheers
Luke