Snake Gaiters

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These may not be scary enough to keep the snakes away but would be a good conversation starter
1499857309_2017-07-12-20-59-04--1489442251.jpg

old hand said:
GAITERS-Gold prospecting (no metal) Minelab,Snake protection,Hiking - FREE POST
( 162585702366 :Y:

Do a search old hand and you should find a post by Vstrom who used oversized (by 1 size) gumboots. Cut them off so they fit over your boot across the bridge and around the back of your heal from memory. Pretty cheap set of gaiters :Y: if your local Op-Shop has the right size.

Gilly, I could tell you, but Im a Manly supporter......

Nah, there a post somewhere here on gators, go back a few pages, best I saw, were gum boots with the foot part cut away with a stanly knife, leaving the calf covering only, put the gator on, then ya boots.

I have been doing some work on a property with bush, creeks and long grass in the paddocks. It hadn't worried me up until now, but after seeing 2 snakes, one either an eastern brown or dark tiger snake, I decided some snake gaiters would be the go. For peace of mind if anything. Just wondering who wears them out in the scrub, and what brand or recommendations you may have.

I wear Double D canvas gaiters, they cost $75 from DoubleD

https://doubledleather.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=78&search=gaiters

The trick is to not wear them too tight. You want a bit of an air gap between them and your pants underneath (although when it's stinking hot I still wear them with shorts anyway). I haven't encountered any snakes in the short time I've been detecting yet, but over the years when fishing I came across them occassionally and twice came close to being bitten by Tiger snakes and once by a Copperhead. I also carry a couple of snakebite bandages that have a compression indicator just in case.

I have seen some online that come from the US and they look armour-like with lots of articulating hard plates. I guess like with any equipment you get what you pay for.

-Deepseeker

Deepseeker said:
I wear Double D canvas gaiters, they cost $75 from DoubleD

I have seen some online that come from the US and they look armour-like with lots of articulating hard plates.

-Deepseeker

I think the DD gaiters are sufficient for our breed of snakes are in OZ, most have relatively short fangs, unlike the rattlesnake, whose fangs are huge.

Latest posts