Anyone know more about this lead seal?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found this is a 1860-1910 location but cant find any info on it. Even when cleaned it is hard to read so i hope the star and pointy think may help in figuring it out.
Untitled by Marc Russo, on Flickr

put a bit of paper over it and gently go over with a pencil? (Practice on a different coin first)

I've swiveled the pic to make the 'pointy thing' upright, which might help:

1554779675_lead_seal.jpg

Could it be a clocktower? If I squint hard, I can almost make out a tower with a clock face near the peak, but it may just be my imagination. And is that the latin word FIDEI (faith), between about 1 o'clock and 3 o'clock on the upright seal?

It's funny how we see different things. I think I can almost make out "HEIDE" from your FIDEI, (beginning at 12 o'clock). I thought maybe 'Heidelberg', but not sure there's enough space around for all the letters. Heidelberg Printing Presses came to mind.

Could be completely wrong though! :)

Could be a bottle top with that little pulled out bit at the top of the lip. lol

MegsyB007 said:
It's funny how we see different things. I think I can almost make out "HEIDE" from your FIDEI, (beginning at 12 o'clock). I thought maybe 'Heidelberg', but not sure there's enough space around for all the letters. Heidelberg Printing Presses came to mind.
Could be completely wrong though! :)
Could be a bottle top with that little pulled out bit at the top of the lip. lol

Heineken have used both a windmill and a star on bottle caps:
http://tinyurl.com/y46bhpe4

Maybe back in the day they used both insignia in one design?

How did a paper rub look? I think I can see HEIDSTEL from the top of the star going right then at the star at about 10 oclock looks like a L

and a picture of the other side to see if a lead seal that went over a cork in a bottle or a cloth seal etc

tailormarc said:
I found this is a 1860-1910 location but cant find any info on it. Even when cleaned it is hard to read so i hope the star and pointy think may help in figuring it out.

hi,
the pointy thing looks like it might be an obelisk, pyramid on top of a tapering tower.
Pretty sure this piece is related to Heidsieck champagne. According to wikipedia, the company went through several name changes which may help you to date it if you can identify the first word. The pic below (found on google images) is a 1907 bottle rescued from a shipwreck, has a very similar logo to your picture.

ST

1555332997_heidsieck-champagne-660x507.jpg

Latest posts