Second Trip Out To Castlemaine

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I took my (unmentionably cheap detector) out to Castlemaine gold fields today. More of an experience trip than anything, learning to look for the places and signs described by Loamer and others in the how to find gold thread.

I went on my motorbike rather than my car this time, it allows me to get a bit deeper off the beaten track.

I started off in a dry creek bed, which would no doubt be promising with a better detector, but only got single beeps then nothing, after going over the same spot :8 . There was signs of someone else being around recently though, lots of small dug up patches and flipped rocks. So I moved a few hundred metres up the bed where there was less, and much older signs of action.

No gold, but I did find this though, which was kind of cool.

ibmhk5.jpg

I also found some mullock heaps and associated holes in the middle of nowhere, but they were chokers full of bark and logs unfortunately.

I did learns some things about my detector though. It'll still ping off a. 22 shell in dirt, but passes over anything smaller. So probably good for finding coins at the beach, but not much else. So next trip out I reckon I'll make a weekend of it, and hire a mine lab to check out those spots again. ;)

you're right Wishfull, if only the bank balance would allow! Good luck with the sale though, It's a great piece of kit at a good price :)