A Few Questions.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all.
After being side-tracked over the past 6 months I'm now (almost) ready to start my gold fossicking adventures and I have a few questions.
Just before that I must warn you all that I'm a complete novice so some of my questions and terminology will show my lack of knowledge.

1. After a few responses on my previous post on which detector I've settled on the GARRETT AT Gold. If I source it in OZ I'm looking at around $1,200 but looking on
EBAY I can get one from the US for AU$820-$900 including taxes and freight. So my question is, is it worth saving $300???

2. My other question is, once I've found a few nuggets how do I sell them? I've looked around a bit on the net and on this site and I cant see any reference a merchant
who buys raw gold (I believe that's what you call unrefined nuggets?) and secondary to that, is there a site I can see what the current price is for raw nuggets?

Thanks.

Question 2 at the top of the page there are 5 icons left is a house the right is a magnifying glass press the middle one
Most major cities have people that buy gold

Gday Nuggets 66 , honestly I think you should think about getting a pulse induction detector if your after nuggets the ace is not really a gold machine suited for Australian mineralization you would have to be extremely lucky to find gold, not impossible but unlikely. Best get a sdc as Macca says or a second hand 4500 quite a few for sale here at the moment as for where to sell , I wouldnt worry about that till after you find few , I could never sell mine , to hard to find .
Cheers Booney.

Why would you sell your gold ? I love every nugget like a child , if you think its a good source of income you will be in for a reality check unless your a lucky or very knowledgeable person, 1 in a 1000 prospectors make more from gold than what they spend on gear.

Not trying to burst your bubble just making it clear , i hope you prove me wrong :D

It's good to be confident :)

I have to agree with the above comment... There are some well looked after second hand GPX 4500's at the moment. So if you want to give yourself the best chance at deep and shallow nuggets, that would be a much better option.

aussiefarmer said:
Why would you sell your gold ? I love every nugget like a child , if you think its a good source of income you will be in for a reality check unless your a lucky or very knowledgeable person, 1 in a 1000 prospectors make more from gold than what they spend on gear.
I sold the first couple of bits i found to help cover the cost of gear to get into this hobby
I would like to get some nice quartz specis one day to hold onto ... I just like the look of them :goldnugget: :D

Thanks all.
I do like the cost of the equinox 800 metal detector (the guy at 'losttreasuresaustralia' on eBay has one for $1,169) and the fact I can get it in Oz is more comforting for warranty and the like.
it's a hobby I'm looking at getting into at a reasonable price that might pay for it's self rather than to find a 60lb nugget.
thanks again.