Cabbing/Carving

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm in the market for a cabbing machine and carving tool and I was just wondering what you all like the best about your machine/tools and what you might change if you could?

I guess the best option would be to buy a six wheel cabbing machine, but I would like to know if anyone is having success with any other combination for example the Lortone LU6x has a trim saw, two wheel setup. I want to do some carving, but not sure the best way to go about grinding and polishing.

I was thinking of the foredom flexi shaft for carving which I can buy an attachment for to grind and carve but it looks a little awkward and I,m thinking it might cut the life of the tool considerably using it for grinding/polishing. Also,I was wanting to try to make some cabochons so a cabbing machine would probably be my best option.

I was wondering if anyone had some tips for me before I make a purchase.

I would be cutting/polishing/ carving hard stone,

cheers, K.

PS I live in a rural area and I don't have access to a lapidary club which has machines set up to try :/

I used to use a trim saw / 2 wheel machine with rough and fine sanding paper to carve jade and agate also using a foredom hand-piece for fine cutting, grinding and polishing the fiddlier parts and the whole lot worked fine for me at that time.

I was told by a jade miner to get the finest sanding paper for my final polishing, cut it into rounds to fit the wheel, rub two of the fine rounds together to get a smoother paper and get the stone as hot as possible to create a final, glossy finish polish. As I said, it worked fine for me in the day, but today I would finish with 50k diamond powder and possibly a spritz of 100k diamond spray on a ceramic/perspex wheel.

Hi Pat!

Thanks for your input.

I take it your happy with your foredom tool and hand piece? I was thinking of buying the H30 hand piece to use with the tool as this is the one I used when I had a go at jade carving. It felt quite comfortable to use and I think it is quite versatile being able to use reverse with it and add a good assortment of attachments.

I'm thinking since I am just starting out it may be best to go for less wheels until I'm sure I am going to stick to carving/polishing. Maybe with the hand tool I won't need the whole 6 wheels. I now need to work out if I want expanding drums, the lortone trim saw and two wheel unit with 1 expanding drum, or the Lortone BA64 with 4 wheels and two on the end. All options are around the same price but I get the benefit of a trim saw with one.

Thanks for the great polishing tips Pat. It is much appreciated. Looking back on the polishing of the jade I carved before Christmas I could have done a lot better finish :).

Latest posts