Panning in Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am an absolute noob when it comes to prospecting, anything to do with cartography and it seems being able to decipher any sort of information. Before I start, I dont want your secrets ;) just a little bit of information that may send me in the right direction. Ive read through a good couple of posts and seem to have made myself more confused. When it comes to prospecting, are you only allowed to do it at the 12 parks that are stated on the Parkweb website?
If a river or stream isnt on the exempt list does that mean you can go for it?
Can you ask rangers to prospect on parks that arent on the Parkweb website?
Ive only been out once so far and realised how little I know. Had a great day out though.

Thanks

Hi Mugnut,

The Parks Victoria website gives you some extraordinary options to fossick in Parks that would otherwise be banned, being in National Parks. Make sure you check the maps they supply and stay in the designated prospecting areas.
You can prospect in State Forests in Victoria, as long as the waterway is not on the Exempt list.
And if a river is not on the Exempt list, you can certainly prospect on it, as long as it's not within a banned park area.
You can try asking a Park Ranger if you want to try that for permission. In some cases they allow it, such as on Reedy Creek at Beechworth, that is actually on the Exempt list, but is allowed by the Rangers there.

You might also try the Victorian Goldfields Guide, but make sure you select the "Gold Prospecting" tag in the search option, because not all sites listed on it have prospecting allowed there.

https://www.goldfieldsguide.com.au/explore/search/t/16,/c/0/searchterm//

Good luck!

Cheers,
Megsy

Appreciate the reply Megsy. Thats cleared up a lot for me and the goldfields guide is great. Youre a legend, thanks heaps.

Latest posts