Detecting On Red Clay

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tassie Daz

Darryl Rowley
Reaction score
Hi all, hey I'm detecting on red clay and I can't get my 4500 to run quiet. Any suggestions would help but please a little more than "play with the knobs".
TIA.
I guess I should say Ive set on Factory settings and I have the stock 11" commander coil on. I could change to my 14x9 advantage or a Sadie if thatll help.

Drop down your sensitivity lol....
well that's what I gotta do at the beach to counter all the mineralization..... the red in the clay would be iron

Hi Daz, Gen/Enhanced with fact settings should be ok but reduce your RX a little if needed, if that doesn't help try changing Swing Speed to Very Slow, then Audio from Normal to Quiet if needed, if you're still finding it too noisy then detect somewhere else is all I can suggest.
Leave it in Fixed and Ground balance when things get noisy, that way you'll know where the real hot mineralized spots are.
Personally I used to run my 4500 as stable as possible but now prefer hotter settings so I can hear what the ground is doing, targets still POP out no problem.
Best of luck.

Hi Daz,
Give the 14x9 a go. I wouldn't worry about the sadie if the ground is as bad as it sounds. A small coil will likely get swamped by the mineralisation.
If the 14x9 is no better (assume you're already using Enhance?) then you have a few options (in no particular order):
- try tracking (try slow - then med & fast if really bad)
- lower gain/stab settings
- try special timing, sensitive smooth
- use a DD coil
- if the ground is wet, wait for it to dry out a bit

Thanks fellas. I've only just arrived and went out for an hour to have a swing. Would you believe I harnessed up and stood there thinking, "there's something else I have to do" but for the life of me I could think what. So I looked again at the front panel, and suddenly.........
An A Ha moment, I had to do a scan.
The things you forget when ya dont use a PI machine for like 6mths or more.

Haha at least you won't forget that next time, hope it's running better after that and you get the confidence back in it :Y:

Latest posts