Gone Beepin For Treasure

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A mixed bag from the beach this morning.

1550197645_img_20190215_124513.jpg

Tide was going out but I was starting to fry so pulled the pin. Would have been nice in the water.

1550197782_img_20190215_111443.jpg

Hey PT, on that last photo, the beach scene, would detect up on the top high water mark and then proceed to the bottom one ? I am very curious as I have not detected a beach.
Cheers
Mackka

I normally like targeting the gutters, but on a flat beach like in the picture I do a loose zig zag up and down to try and find a target line. Sometimes there is but sometimes there is just a loose cluster. Once I'm getting a few targets, I start a tighter grid.

Tends to be lot of deep sand up that end of town unless hit by storms providing a steep cut in the beach or exposed gutters. Working further south there tends to be more gutters and exposed rocks at low tide = good catchment for older coins, rings, sinkers etc. All depends on the erosion and other factors like dumping of sand to replenish the beaches - you really have to regularly check out the conditions to get a good handle on where the most prospective zones are. If the beaches are sanded in (ie flat or lumped up with sand), then you are really left with no choice but to chase after recent drops anywhere between the high & low tide line - most heavies may be too deep.

I remember when they dumped sand on the most southern metro beaches for replenishment that it ultimately sanded in all the beaches to the north. The only saving graces were physical barriers that affect the depth of the sand on the next beach, things like water outfalls, breakwaters etc. Those barriers ultimately starve the next section of beach of sand which will lead to low spots, including exposed rocks on the lowest of tides, so something to look out for. The barriers also cause heavy items to drop out and deposit when the wave action carrying finds is disturbed. I have found coins/rings both before and after such physical barriers.

Whilst "reading" the beach can and will help out, sometimes you get clusters of coins in the strangest of places. Best bet is to just grid and see what pops up, quite a relaxing activity at night with no one around. ;)

I've usually found the most coins when I look at spots where I would sit if on the beach for the day plenty of coins that the kids dig out and keep :clap:
The best other spots according to tips from U-Tube are looking at when the tides in and where people are standing at waist depth , try to pinpoint that area by means of a stick in the sand then go back at low tide and detect the line. :cool:

Went for a hunt with a mate who was keen on giving the Anfibio Multi a run. We chose one of the trashiest parks I know. He had a good session, considering he just switched the machine on and went hunting.

1553569909_img_20190326_122413.jpg

I used the Impact and scored a nice silver ring.

1553570012_img_20190326_105820.jpg

Some of the junk from today and my last hunt!

1553570091_img_20190326_122652.jpg

Latest posts