Blob of what the?????

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys now im pretty good as sussing different metals out but this one has got me wondering what it is....
Found in a location that has items no later than 1915 and goes back as early as 1860

Now its ....

Quite Magnetic
Hard as (not lead)
Dont think its tin as this is really magnetic,
Dont think its silver as its magnetic and doesnt give off the egg smell when rubbed with foil
Not pewter as its magnetic
Has a shiny crystalline structure and been out in elements over 100yrs so no iron or it would be rusted like the other stuff ive found

1553487569_img_6540.jpg

1553487584_img_6541.jpg

1553487600_img_6542.jpg

1553487670_img_6543.jpg

1553487689_img_6544.jpg

I agree it looks like a meteorite , broken in half none the less.
Note the melted looking flat side (incoming side) and the rougher looking (trailing side).
It looks very similar to a much smaller one I found years ago, not knowing what I had I broke it with a hammer and the fracture is exactly the same, crystalline looking iron/nickel meteorite.
Congratulations!
Maybe search the area for the other half.
regards from Ken

Keen Ken said:
Note the melted looking flat side (incoming side) and the rougher looking (trailing side).
It looks very similar to a much smaller one I found years ago, not knowing what I had I broke it with a hammer and the fracture is exactly the same, crystalline looking iron/nickel meteorite.
Congratulations!
regards from Ken
Funny you should say that, big meteorite made landfall not far from here a little while back . Not getting my hopes up but never know. Only problem is there is no way to tell forsure because if i take it to wA museam and it turns out to be meteorite they will seize it . Here is the article
https://www.google.com.au/amp/amp.abc.net.au/article/10179826

Rockhunter62 said:
I would of thought that it was excess/spillage from someone smeltering and pouring into a mold.

Cheers

Doug
Thats what I was thinking but none of the metals I can think of are similar as in magnetic, no rusting really really hard etc

tailormarc said:
Keen Ken said:
Congratulations!
regards from Ken
Funny you should say that, big meteorite made landfall not far from here a little while back . Not getting my hopes up but never know. Only problem is there is no way to tell forsure because if i take it to wA museam and it turns out to be meteorite they will seize it . Here is the article
https://www.google.com.au/amp/amp.abc.net.au/article/10179826

Don't go posting on here then. :)

Maybe try and do a streak test on the back of a rough tile or something similar, the colour of the streak should give some more clues.

Was it in an historic mining area? I'll eat my hard hat if that isn't antimony metal. Definitely a smelter product of some sort. Check out "antimony regulus" or star metal on google image search for some comparisons. I frequent a site that's got quite a lot of it, makes an awesome noise! The magnetism could be a bit of a red herring for ID, I'm going to guess that there's some blobs of iron in there giving it magnetic properties.

The photo of the inside's a bit hard to see but that perhaps may be stibnite in the middle of the lump.

Cobalt might be unlikely? I understand it's a fair bit of work to separate cobalt from the other metals it occurs with, doesn't seem like the kind of thing to just discard when you've put a lot of work in it. And that's a fair chunk!

edit: just tested with a couple of my found lumps of antimony, some are pretty magnetic, some aren't at all. Got to be some iron contamination here, no nickel or cobalt around and I know they quarried ironstone nearby to use as smelter flux.

Latest posts