Split rims

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madtuna

Only owns one toaster
Reaction score
I run 16 ply rag tyres on my Landrover Perentie, the only drama is it is almost impossible to change them on a standard rim using hand tools.
No option but to take them to town where they struggle to change them on the machine. Plus they charge a forune.

I can buy genuine Landrover split rims from LR but ...$1500 each!! :eek:

Solution - Summerfield Rims, Wheel & rim repair service in Baldivis, Western Australia ph: 0400 801 204

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Wheel---Rim-Repair-Service/Summerfield-Rims-228595090997167/

This guy takes a standard Toyota split rim and fabricates a Landrover centre for $220 each.
If you're chasing splitties for what ever vehicle he can fabricate rims to suit.
His work is excellent and at the price, only one and a half punctures and a rim has paid for itself at Laverton prices.

Not a brilliant pic but this is some he done for a friends Landy

BEKD0XR.png

That's a great result MT, why they never had a split rim option on the Defender range defies logic.
A great bush vehicle with just a few shortcomings like that.

Unlike so many, I have never wanted to change from the original splits on my L/Cruiser trayback, in fact I also use the identical rims/tyres on the Supreme Getaway van which more or less live permanently behind the truck. (pic. on this topic here) This means I can have up to 4 spares, its very unusual from where we end up that at least one has not copped a mulga spike.

being "self sufficient" to us is more than extra water and baked beans!
mike

Hi Mike,

yep $1500 per rim for a Landrover is rediculous, why they weren't a standard item concidering the type of vehicle and thier usual use is beyond me.
I've also got a Supreme Getaway and fitted split rims to it. :Y:

Mine is on P7 14/11/14 this topic.
Spent a long time looking for a side door model, saw too many dust problems with a rear door, if not inside, at least around it.
This one turned out to be totally dust proof (that goldfields dust penetrates well) plus made up a rear spare wheel carrier in addition to the underneath one.
mike

Hi Pete, nope the Landrover studs are wider apart plus hefty compared to the Toyota ones. I wish!

This brings back memories of Fitting & Turning apprenticeship days. Being the "boys" in the shop one of our early machining jobs was to split VW rims and weld in a 3" more or less spacer for the ever increasing popularity of VW dune buggies. Can recall more than one occasion where someone got stuck in the hollow between the dunes. As most know a VW wouldn't pull the skin off a custard so another bug couldn't tow out the bogged one. Four bolts and a couple of wires and we could lift the engine out of the stranded beetle. Load the engine onto another buggie, drive out then return and tow the engine free one out. Boys will be boys.....

Just an update on those rims.
They turned up the other week and I couldn't be happier with them! Have been tooling around on them over some righteously crap ground without a hint of a problem.

Admittedly I have no bitumen to test them on but flat out on any smooth dirt I can find shows no hint of a wobble or shudder. The guy did an absoluetly magic job and I'd have no hesitation at all recommending him! :Y:

kWgKF8T.jpg

J08hL2S.jpg

The good thing about a 6x6 is they are almost unstoppable, With split rims you can't Air Down no were near as low as the pressures you can using Tubeless Rims and Tyre's, Just a thing to be aware of, :Y:

Great looking rim Steve, and that price is around what you would expect to pay for a new rim anyway.
JIM

Just out of curiosity Steve have you had any punctures on the Super Lugs. The rims look the goods :Y: :power: more curiosity are they (edit, the rims) speed rated if so what's the upper limit.

Hi Rm, not sure of the upper rating, all it says on the side is "tube type highway service" I have driven to Kalgoorlie on them which is about 400 klms without a problem but I generally sit on about 80 to 90

When I was using radials, punctures were averaging 1 a day and I even did 5 in 1 day. Still punture the MRF's but lucky to get 1 a month.

RR as for airing down, out here we air up! We do have sand, infact we have full on dunes. Sand wont stop us, you just spin your way through it.
Even when these things are flat they still stay relatively upright

madtuna said:
Hi Rm, not sure of the upper rating, all it says on the side is "tube type highway service" I have driven to Kalgoorlie on them which is about 400 klms without a problem but I generally sit on about 80 to 90

When I was using radials, punctures were averaging 1 a day and I even did 5 in 1 day. Still punture the MRF's but lucky to get 1 a month.

RR as for airing down, out here we air up! We do have sand, infact we have full on dunes. Sand wont stop us, you just spin your way through it.
Even when these things are flat they still stay relatively upright

Yeah MT it is an awesome Truck and if that won't do it nothing will, Great set of wheels too and at a good price, :Y:

Latest posts