Monelab GPX4500 With 17x9 Evo Coil near powerlines

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you get any smaller coils with the detector that you can also test? You are starting out with a large, hyper-sensitive coil, which is a bit like running before you can walk. I think the standard 11" Minelab Commander (preferably double-D wiring), would be an easier entry point into learning the skills of pulse induction gold detecting.

Northeast said:
Out bush yes, but lets be reasonable.

Another forum member here uses a 15 evo on a 5000 within 5 kilometers of Huntly.

You shouldnt have to get more than 5 ks out of town.

Post 19 says he'd hate to drive 2 hours but I agree with you :100: I like Huntly just don't get the chance these days.

Northeast said:

Another forum member here uses a 15 evo on a 5000 within 5 kilometers of Huntly.

If you go into street view on google maps where he said he was testing, there are 11KV power lines within several hundred meters. That will make most PI detectors wail like a banshee.

richardl said:
Just swapped coils for no difference, can only adjust threshold in cancel but then it doesnt detect any thing in cancel, im going for a drive to try my luck elsewhere, ironically the old soverign works great in my yard, but gotta move with the technology to hopefully get the reward

Definitely sounds like a classic interference response

So are you saying the ambulance siren disappears or decreases in Cancel? If so you can be pretty confident it's EMI

Hi richardl,

Don't be overwhelmed with the behaviour of your new GPX4500, they are a very powerful detector and it does look like your issue is that you are trying to test it too close to town and EMI sources.
As others have said, you really need to get right out of town away from everything to test it properly otherwise you are just going to get frustrated as to why it won't settle for you, even when you manage a trip out bush it will still be fairly unstable depending on the mineralisation of the area. As others have suggested it is probably most beneficial to have a training day as it will point you in the right direction, once you get familiar with how to run the 4500 and the best use of settings you will see how good a machine it is, you just need to get some basics under your belt to start with, following the user manual is not much help to get you started unless you understand how these powerful PI detectors respond to EMI and ground conditions compared to other detectors that you can run at home in the front yard.

Don't be discouraged, trust that you have a very powerful machine there and you just need to get a few helpful hints to get a good understanding of the basics, from there you will not look back as far as searching for gold goes, once you understand why it responds how it currently is.

Trust that the members here on the forum just want to help you get on your way, what they are saying to you is from their own experience and learning curve so please take as much on board as possible, the user manual is a guide only, the members experience is from hours of testing, trying and learning the hard way, and trying to help fast track your learning.

Get away bush for a weekend and then give it a run in General / Enhanced with factory settings, ground balance often and set up a target test patch to try settings on, but don't fuss too much about changing settings until you know the detectors responses well, as factory settings are still pretty powerful but most of all don't over think it, keep it basic for starters, best of luck :Y:

RM Outback said:
Northeast said:

Post 19 says he'd hate to drive 2 hours but I agree with you :100: I like Huntly just don't get the chance these days.

Happy to drive the 2hrs or more so long as its working as it should

isolation said:
richardl said:
Just swapped coils for no difference, can only adjust threshold in cancel but then it doesnt detect any thing in cancel, im going for a drive to try my luck elsewhere, ironically the old soverign works great in my yard, but gotta move with the technology to hopefully get the reward

Definitely sounds like a classic interference response

So are you saying the ambulance siren disappears or decreases in Cancel? If so you can be pretty confident it's EMI

Gone in cancel but wont detect anything, ive got to learn the machine

Gotta reinforce what others have said - do the free training day.
When in cancel the signal from a target is greatly diminished. As an example when digging a deepish hole a target may overload the coil & be very loud making it hard to pinpoint exactly where it is. By switching into cancel you can diminish this signal to a faint response allowing better pinpointing- if you're not used to the GPX then you may be missing the signal in cancel & mistakingly thinking it's not detecting anything.
Don't despair - get in contact with the retailer & get on the training day. :Y:

Richard
My two bobs worth.
Start again.
Turn machine off.
Make sure battery is charged.
Disconnect coil and reconnect making sure good tight connection.
Disconnect Quick Track green button lead and reconnect.
Disconnect battery at the battery and at the machine and reconnect making sure good tight connection.
Front panel switches switched to: General, Enhanced, Fixed, Mono
Take machine outside away from power lines.
Hold power on switch down and default the machine (check instructions if not sure).
Is problem resolved?
If not and machine squeels switch to cancel.
In cancel wave coil over a tin can. It should sound.
You have either a 14x9 or 17x13 Evo.
Default settings will work perfectly fine on the Evos.
Good luck.

Dignit said:
Richard
My two bobs worth.
Start again.
Turn machine off.
Make sure battery is charged.
Disconnect coil and reconnect making sure good tight connection.
Disconnect Quick Track green button lead and reconnect.
Disconnect battery at the battery and at the machine and reconnect making sure good tight connection.
Front panel switches switched to: General, Enhanced, Fixed, Mono
Take machine outside away from power lines.
Hold power on switch down and default the machine (check instructions if not sure).
Is problem resolved?
If not and machine squeels switch to cancel.
In cancel wave coil over a tin can. It should sound.
You have either a 14x9 or 17x13 Evo.
Default settings will work perfectly fine on the Evos.
Good luck.

Will try, 17x13 evo

Err, pardon me butting in here:

When using a mono coil, never use cancel. It can only be useful with a mono coil when pinpointing a large target. When using cancel with a mono coil, you receive about 5% signal. The detector should be dead quiet if using a mono in cancel.

In built up areas, use your 11" DD coil, set it to cancel. The left half will be more sensitive. There should be bugger all emi when set up like this.

To test this detector out properly, you need to get out of town a bit(1 to 2 k's) away from the power and telephone lines, yes, buried telephone lines interfere with these detectors too.

If you really want to play with it in suburbia put the 11" dd coil on, front switch to cancel, timing switch on the front to normal. Turn your gain to 1. I live in a small country town and this is the only way I would be able to run mine without overloading emi.

Even gain on 1 will pick up things like your watch or a coin at decent depth, if its stable turn the gain on the LCD screen up until it gets noisy.
This will at least let you hear the machine.
The 4500 is a serious gold prospecting machine though, it's not meant for playing around the suburbs.

Hello all
Reporting back after reading lots[also have to point out the NF coil is 17x13 not 17x9 in my original post]
Went out to the Mary river at the Connondale end with a mate that has a sdc2300.
My machine worked great and i found lots of junk at 40cm or so deep in the river bed[barb wire/bottle tops/20c coin and chunks of rusted steel]
So im happy with my machine knowing that it works[just not in the suburbs] and will keep searching for the yellow stuff
Thanks for all the replies and advice
Richard

Latest posts