Protocols in using dam water for highbanking

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anolphart

Zol Straub
Reaction score
I would like to know what protocols/laws there are in using dam water for highbanking in the gold fields of Victoria (not on private land). My intention is to sample some of the mullock heaps and from any dam feeder creeks.

Are any areas out of bounds, and where do I look for that information?

Can you elaborate the term "dam water" etc.
I cant imagine any rules changing or exemption of doing so. But I would definitely stay within the standard guidelines of vic.
Im sure you will more accurate info shortly but.
Explain your set technique of pump, water transfers etc perhaps a bit more

To my knowledge if your using a water supply such as a dam or large puddle (pretty much non exist ant at the moment) of water in a state forest or permitted areas of national parks in Victoria your right to go. Mostly dam's in these areas are a water supply for fire fighting purposes other than that they are a water source for the animals, with this in mind always recirculate the water back to the supply source. My first experience seeing a high banker in use was from a large puddle after decent rain, it was really good paydirt :Y: And the bloke I was with still works this area today with impressive results. So much so he's purchased a block and trommel and collects paydirt to process.

Check Parks Victoria website and Earth Resources for detailed information.

IN the GT prospectors bucket up dirt from dry gullies and mulch heaps, then take to the nearest dam
and use the water to run high bankers. Now looking at condition of Miners right? Holes must be back filled?
Doing this does not result in the hole been refilled, usually the overall gold production is very low to.

Just imagine if everyone did it, would have the dams full of tailings and all the historic diggings flattened out and ruined. 8.( :eek:

mudgee hunter said:
Can you elaborate the term "dam water" etc.
I cant imagine any rules changing or exemption of doing so. But I would definitely stay within the standard guidelines of vic.
Im sure you will more accurate info shortly but.
Explain your set technique of pump, water transfers etc perhaps a bit more

Well as far as dam water is concerned RM Outback pretty well defined it. Anywhere there is a quantity of water (not in a catchment area) available to be sucked up by a petrol pump for processing through a highbanker. I have seen small dirt dams built in the forests, some by the old timers and I guess some for the CFA.

I have about 50 meters of 1.5 layflat hose and expect to introduce a settling pond or race to filter as much sediment before returning the water to its source, pretty much as you would in a creek.

Im just not certain whether there are restrictions to their use that I wasnt aware of.

Swinging & digging said:
IN the GT prospectors bucket up dirt from dry gullies and mulch heaps, then take to the nearest dam
and use the water to run high bankers. Now looking at condition of Miners right? Holes must be back filled?
Doing this does not result in the hole been refilled, usually the overall gold production is very low to.

Just imagine if everyone did it, would have the dams full of tailings and all the historic diggings flattened out and ruined. 8.( :eek:

This is one of the reasons that I'm asking as I want to do the right thing.

Is it a done thing?

Is it morally right?

Is it abused?

I very much doubt that ALL of the mullock heaps would disappear by this method as it would entail a LOT of work. I think normal weathering through wind and rain has flattened a lot already.

Yes people are doing it.
I don't think its allowed when looking at the regulations.
Yes its abused and evidence is visible for a long time where its been done.

Could be used against prospectors to ban high banking in Victoria.

Swinging & digging said:
Yes people are doing it.
I don't think its allowed when looking at the regulations.
Yes its abused and evidence is visible for a long time where its been done.

Could be used against prospectors to ban high banking in Victoria.

Agreed.
There are dams in the Gt where you can find heaps of material that has been classified, in piles along the ridge line of the dam.

Personally I think there would be less environmental impact than that the normal way.
And if there was any real concern, it would be already be stated in a clause.
Taking material off the top of a heap isnt exactly diging a hole the ground.

The leaving of detector holes unfilled after targets dug and located by some is an issue and its not just other Prospectors seeing this,
the regulating government authorities and greenies do.

I have seen a few locations in the GT where mullock heaps have been hacked into and dug up and the dirt carted away for processing
and it looks way worse than an unfilled hole.

The practice seems to be growing in popularity which could result in a clause been stated like what your saying. 8.( :drooling: :awful: :mad:

Yup, Im guilty of nipping the top off some mullocks :p ...

1553590039_0d33c2fb-168a-485b-867b-c03c94e934dd.jpg

Anolphart said:
I would like to know what protocols/laws there are in using dam water for highbanking in the gold fields of Victoria (not on private land). My intention is to sample some of the mullock heaps and from any dam feeder creeks.

You'll find some mullocs are listed as historic. Hell it's a pile of dirt, but hey just play along.
I know some get their knickers in a knot about processing material into a dam, but really all those dams were initially put there for processing plants, they are always next to areas of surfaced or majorly worked areas.
So they are not, and never have been pristine swimming holes that are a habitat for rare poowong frogs or platypus.

If you set the banker up on the peak of the dam wall so the water flows back in, then you can spread the tailings out at the end of your effort, and all you have done is increade the dam wall height by a couple of mm by the time it spread out.
Most of the people I have seen do it right next to the waters edge and leave a neat pile right there. That is wrong in my book.

We are lucky here in Vic, we can use trommels even, so it's in out best interest to keep a low profile and not be obviously effecting the landscape.

This also goes for detectorists. EVERY time I go bush you can see fresh dig holes and not even an effort to drag the dirt across with their boot is evident, no effort made whatsoever.

Thanks everyone for your input. So far I havent heard any compelling evidence to say its either illegal or ethically inappropriate because, like with panning, sluicing or highbanking in creeks as well as detecting, some people will do the right thing and some will do the wrong thing. The ones doing the wrong thing will leave their evidence no matter where they go or what they do. The ones doing the right thing wont get noticed.

Many dams have been created from road/trail works. They quarry out of suitable road base for fill used on the track, and make a dam from the hole. Its a win win situation.
Then in say 2 years time, they also have a local close supply of water for the water cart in road maintenance, and as another bonus..... fire truck supply.

Anolphart said:

To get a correct response you would really need to contact the land manager i.e. Parks Victoria, VicForests etc. & even then you may get baffled with BS. As the land managers they are responsible for any dams.
IMO (& it's only an opinion) if you are in an area where fossicking/prospecting is allowed & you do the right things like reduce/remove sediment from going into the dam by filtering water back into it, flatten out tailings etc. then you shouldn't have any dramas.

Latest posts