Stones I have cut

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MegsyB007 said:
Lefty said:
Aussie peridot, courtesy of SC. Weighs 0.9 of a carat and measures around 6.2mm in diameter in a Dutch Rose cut.

Beautiful material and I should cut it more often - such a shame the the best public peridot diggings in the northern half of QLD (Chudleigh Park) have now been closed due to public liability :mad: 8.(

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...787_203334527292483_3482857609608822784_n.jpg

Good to see my birthstone making an appearance in your lovely work Lefty!

It seems a darker green than I've usually seen. It's often a very light, wishy washy green, which I haven't particularly liked.
I like your one a lot better! So thanks for posting this and improving my opinion on it! :)

Cheers,
Megsy

Cheers Megsy :) Yes, this one was a really nice shade of green :perfect: . Seems to be like pyralspite garnets of a good colour (not overly dark) - they are there but in the minority.

I asked Lefty to cut a stone for the pendant I am in the middle of, he suggested peridot as its a similar colour the the boulder opal I am using. What a beautiful cut stone a true craftsman Lefty. Thanks a million. Cheers Noel. :)

Cheers Noel :D Makes me want to try and get hold of some more of the stuff now. Alas, it won;t be from Chudleigh Park (unless it's stuff that was found there years ago)

After the trials and tribulations of the last stone, decided to pick a bit of colour and enjoy a simple cut; Akhavan's Speed Demon on a lovely little Pyrope Garnet. Hellisly hard to photograph to bring out the fire in this stone, but I think these picks might indicate what's hiding.

1552976835_3.35ct-pyrope.jpg

1552976855_3.35ct-pyrope-1.jpg

This is one of your pieces Martyz, ;) the fine points of a trillion always make me nervous, particularly when one sees the little inclusion hiding in the right hand one of the points.

Cut to a 3.65ct stone, 10.5mm across.

That looks amazing Dihusky. Im glad you left a tiny little bit of personality in that corner to set it apart. Youve made my day.
Hows Mrs Dihusky going with some of the other stones she had to play with.
Its great the way these stones can still be used to share the joy of what my dad found all those years ago. :Y: :)
Cheers,
Martyz

Very nice Dihusky :perfect: Yes, sometimes simple is what really does it. There's another very simple trillion by Arya called "Treforze" that works an absolute treat by creating a snowflake-like reflection pattern. Well it does in quartz at least, haven't tried it in higher RI's.

Martyz said:
That looks amazing Dihusky. Im glad you left a tiny little bit of personality in that corner to set it apart. Youve made my day.
Hows Mrs Dihusky going with some of the other stones she had to play with.
Its great the way these stones can still be used to share the joy of what my dad found all those years ago. :Y: :)
Cheers,
Martyz

Glad you like it mate, it was a fun stone to cut and in the right setting could be pretty eye catching :inlove:

Lefty said:
Very nice Dihusky :perfect: Yes, sometimes simple is what really does it. There's another very simple trillion by Arya called "Treforze" that works an absolute treat by creating a snowflake-like reflection pattern. Well it does in quartz at least, haven't tried it in higher RI's.

Just had a look and I have 'Treforze' in Gemcuts, got some small stones in Chrysoberyl, Sapphire and Peridot so might give it a whirl once I've finished Martyz stones, have some Topaz to cut for him.

Dihusky said:
Glad you like it Lefty, it was a fun stone to cut, can be tricky picking a cut that balances bling with colour and the colour in this stone is pretty intense

Yeah, many pyralspite-type garnets have a beautiful intense colour when backlit but getting it to really show in a faceted stone isn't always easy due to the depth of saturation.

This almandine is in the transfer jig right now, it's got excellent not-too-saturated depth of colour for this type of garnet...

1552986312_54192490_203884750570794_7232874077793288192_o.jpg

I see what you mean, that's going to be an absolute beauty. One of the pieces I have is 19.25ct rough weight and perfectly shaped for something like Henk Prins' "Isotangle' but the darkness and size of the stone is concerning me, might not let any light in, with intense light it's awesome but in ambient it's black.

1552989951_19ct-rough.jpg

Dihusky I just showed my wife the garnet you cut and she loved it. Said it looked sporty or racey. I showed her the name of the design and she really appreciated how well it communicated what the designer was thinking. Then she asked me what sort of stone it was so I said its a garnet and this ones yours. She almost cried. :lol:
Cheers mate. Youre making me look good here. :trophy:

A 2.5 carat Harts range zircon - colour is pale mauve, not sure where the camera is getting brown from (could have been the reflection of the wooden table surface I guess). I did manage to capture a small hint of the amazing colour dispersion these stones are capable of showing - they can be like an exploding rainbow!

A small cleavage crack in the crown broke out during removing from the first dop, forcing me to change the crown from the original design to a step crown, and it worked great! Spot the "dark angel" in the reflection pattern.

1553615528_55509733_205755223717080_9188590455388897280_n.jpg

1553615546_55460033_205755253717077_6689951032887214080_n.jpg

Nice one Lefty :cool:

:rainbow: exploding rainbow; they are exactly the words that come to mind when you take a Harts Range zircon out in the sunshine.

Latest posts