Out to the FAD for some Mahi Mahi action

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Left the heads about 7 am in my mates 4.5m boat and headed for the FAD (about 21km away) :argh:
All the reports said the day would improve weather/swell wise, and although it was a bit lumpy and uncomfortable for a while, the conditions did improve and we had a cracking day out on the water.
The first pass of the FAD resulted in a hookup of a slightly undersized Dollie and from then on it was action stations with fish after fish caught and released until they finally slowed up as the sun got higher.
Around 14 fish were caught and we kept 2 that were above legal size for a feed later.
It was my first time catching one, and due to the conditions, I ended up catching the lot as my mate the skipper had his hands full of steering wheel :playful:
What an awesome fish!!
The colours truly have to be seen to be believed and they have to be one of the tastiest fish out there :drooling:
Every muscle is sore today, but I cant wait to get out there and hook in again soon :cool:
1552996777_31fe2748-ecb0-4fda-b180-f27b9536ee03.jpg

1552996777_b341fe14-f95c-4a9c-b77c-2482e3c11aff.jpg

1552996969_c19f6950-0a9a-4cfb-830b-9872d260a0be.jpg

1552996969_d83aadb5-4901-4d22-9d64-d69f0ecb18fd.jpg

Billy said:
silver said:

Gday Mr Silver :D
Twas about 150m deep and cobalt blue :gemstone:
There were a few storms/showers about and managed to catch the right angle for all the colours of the bow :rainbow: ;)
Awesome stuff!!
Must be near on 40 yrs since I been out to sea Billy.... but we had a flat sea with a blue sky one day " fishbowl ".... no horizon line at all... that I remember still !
You're doin well on the fish mate :p

Such a pity they lose a lot of their colour when they are out of the water. Beautiful fish.

One of the prettiest and tastiest fish in the ocean and put up a pretty good fight too. Incredibly fast growing too so no problem keeping a couple for a feed.

Great work. Ive always wanted to catch a Dolphin fish but never have. Do they fight well and how did you cook them?

GT :trophy:

goldtruck59 said:
Great work. Ive always wanted to catch a Dolphin fish but never have. Do they fight well and how did you cook them?

GT :trophy:

Thanks GT, they have been on my bucket list for a while now too. Its a long way out there in a little boat, so have to pick the days carefully :argh:
The dozen or so we caught were all around the 60cm mark and while they did put up a good fight they were hauled in relatively easily with the big gear we were using. What was also cool, was watching them launch out of the water all around the FAD and then having their mates swimming around underneath them as we got a hooked one boat side :Y:
To cook them I kept it simple and just heated up some butter and garlic in a frypan and shallow fried the fillets for a few minutes either side.
Absolutely beautiful tasting fish and as fresh as you will get :drooling: