MDC Robson XTT

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
junkdog said:
Just a small update . caravans you can only up load another 300kg,,,,my camper van I can upload an 800kg and still be on the legal road weight ...

some allow a bit more,all comes down to the tare and gvm,can be upgraded to with a bit of work (suspension) and an inspection apparently,i allways thought the mdcs were good value for the $$$,there a pretty solid base when ya look at some,bit of work here an there to bullet proof them a bit is easily done,as doug has done and was it you that junkdog that said if ya cant fix anything dont go bush,your on the money there.....

My Avan Cruisliner is 1150 Kilo's unladen,
1500 is max for me.
Prado's do not have a good reputation for towing.
All good along the flat but hit a good hill, Down
a few gears and watch the fuel gauges drop. :)
That is why I do not hurry. :cool:

HeyTath, a tad off topic, heard on 3aw this morning that staff had been locked out of the Avan factory.
Doesn't sound too good for the workforce.
A few RV companies hitting the wall lately.

Goldchaser1 said:
junkdog said:
Just a small update . caravans you can only up load another 300kg,,,,my camper van I can upload an 800kg and still be on the legal road weight ...

some allow a bit more,all comes down to the tare and gvm,can be upgraded to with a bit of work (suspension) and an inspection apparently,i allways thought the mdcs were good value for the $$$,there a pretty solid base when ya look at some,bit of work here an there to bullet proof them a bit is easily done,as doug has done and was it you that junkdog that said if ya cant fix anything dont go bush,your on the money there.....

And some allow a lot more. My big van is 1800kg dry weight, 2200kg with tanks full and loaded with tucker etc but can be loaded to 2850kg if I need however I am a fan of light weight.
My little van is 650kg loaded including generator and can go to 1450kg

I have taken the dry weight into account. As my prado has a few performance mods towing it should be no hassle. Might not be to good on the fuel though towing this kind of camper. I do look after my gear but I do not know how a MDC would go with some of the places I take my campers. The Gibb river, the finkie, out back WA and some secret spots around Esperance only accessible at low tide are the kind of places I head. My family also plan to head up to the cape one day.

shakergt said:
I have taken the dry weight into account. As my prado has a few performance mods towing it should be no hassle. Might not be to good on the fuel though towing this kind of camper. I do look after my gear but I do not know how a MDC would go with some of the places I take my campers. The Gibb river, the finkie, out back WA and some secret spots around Esperance only accessible at low tide are the kind of places I head. My family also plan to head up to the cape one day.

What ever you get make the necessary changes for the places you know and intend to go. Of the places you've mentioned what ever your set up it'll be right for the Cape. Like all remote locations with towing anything always pack spares. Mount your spare wheel/s on a axle stud for a ready made quick bearing fix also consider suspension, nothing worse than being stranded by the dead weight on a trip of a lifetime with family.

"some secret spots around Esperance only accessible at low tide"

Don't think anyone makes a complete stainless steel camper trailer.

I would take my MDC camper to all the other places you mentioned no problems at all. We don't like beaches much so going to places on low tide isn't a problem for us. Maintenance and thorough clean out after big trips is a must for all camper trailers and caravans. Poor Maintenance and not driving to conditions is what kills all vehicles in the outback.

Cheers

Doug

Uh Oh.
shame, Better stock up on a few spares.
Oh, Mine is the "Semi Off Road " version
Double heavier chassis under it.
Not that I would take it that far off road..
Drags the rear end a bit.

Redfin said:
HeyTath, a tad off topic, heard on 3aw this morning that staff had been locked out of the Avan factory.

just had a look at the mdc site,that camper looks pretty good shaker,which reminds me,a work mates selling his mdc soon,its about 3 yrs old,not sure which model it is but its got the coil springs,theyve only used it for the nullabour muster each year,think its on next month,after that he reckons hes selling it,they just dont have time to use it,can pass his no on if ya thought it was worth a squizz......

Redfin said:

Turns out was the Jurgens RV Factory, the Avan CEO was on the radio this morning to reassure his customers.

Well after going to the Perth Caravan and camping show I now have decided that a Blue Water Lachlan is the go. Hopefully the new job ends up full time and then I can definitely look at purchasing the camper. I am impressed with the blue water and it ticks all the boxes of my needs and wants in a camper.

Hi Shaker,

Just a little point that the chief cook and bottle washer pointed out and frankly I agree. The sink is in the corner. If you or the missus is of larger size you will find it a bit annoying having to stand there in the corner. That kitchen layout could be a lot better.

One thing I have found in the years of going bush is that you don't put the other half in a corner like that.

Cheers

Doug (battered husband)

Latest posts