Madagascar lace agates

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
No doubt many of you are familiar with these stunning brightly coloured and patterned agate pebbles from Madagascar. They look too good to be true and perhaps they are. There is talk that they have been heat treated, soaked in a sugar solution and then boiled in a sulphuric acid solution to produce their colours. I own a couple and I'm not sure - is anyone across this? Cheers, Ed

Ive heard of agate being dyed for colour enhancement and heated but nothing like what youve described

'Ocean Jasper', 'Sea Jasper or Sea Agate' are other names for them.. . There is a lot of conjecture about them... Not many know for sure as there is too much unrest over there for anyone to find out for sure what treatment, if any they have had done to them... the Chinese have just just about cornered the market over there with anything coming out of Madagascar now.... As they do with anything unique...
ATM Madagascar is a very unsafe place to go and i feel for the unique wildlife that will suffer with this unrest.... :koala:

I have a nice collection of them, around 50 or so of various sizes and none of them Burn, meaning they are not made of resin...... Im actually waiting on a shipment of small ones to use in my Gem Tables and they had to come from China....

LW.....

Latest posts