Woody-Foot. SDC Stand

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

A mate showed me his new SDC stand that he purchased recently. As soon as I saw it, I knew that it was a good bit of gear. Its called a Woody- Foot and is made on the central coast of NSW by a couple of mad keen detectorists.
1539225293_d6ced1ce-bb1c-4e21-81e7-db1c3b893ab1.jpg
The Woody Foot has a couple of features that really stand out for me. First of all it is all plastic. Made from PVC, it is both light and strong. The second and in my eyes its major feature is its stability. It attaches to the detector just in front of the control box AND DOES NOT MOVE.
1539225436_c75b4ad4-877c-4403-a0e8-f43d39fa460b.jpg
The existing foot that I use is unstable and moves all over the place (as it is directly attached to the canvas control box cover). I am sure that many of you have experienced a similar frustration. Went straight home and talked to Mr Google and quickly found a phone number. Spoke to a fellow called Scott Woodhouse and chatted about his stand and all things related to gold for quite a while. A really nice bloke, who with his brother Kurt, know their way around the gold fields. Anyway, he sent me a Woody Foot and it arrived in only a couple of days. The cost of the stand is $46 delivered which I believe to be quite reasonable considering they are hand made. On to the nitty gritty:

Weight: Removed the existing foot from the canvas control box cover and weighed it (with the attached Velcro that I added) It came to just over 61 grams. The new Woody Foot (with Velcro) came to just over 85 grams. I was surprised by this. Thought the Woody Foot would be considerably heavier than what was already in place. 24 grams is nothing really.

Footprint Comparison: The woody Foot has a slightly smaller footprint than the existing stand. (About 20mm less) The existing foot caused me few issues when pushing through thick scrub so I can assume that the Woody Foot would also have no problems in this area.

Attachment to the detector: This was both a simple and quick task. There is no modification required when attaching the stand. (Only a small piece of Velcro stuck to the underside of the control box). The stand takes less than 30 seconds to attach or remove. This means that the SDC can still be folded for storage or can be carried in a backpack if required.

Stability: The SDC sits still on flat country and does not roll over. On steeper ground such as the sides of mullock heaps, the machine sits well allowing the coil to lay flat when digging targets. As you would expect, there is a limit as to the gradient that will allow the machine to stay upright but a simple repositioning of the machine solves this issue.

1539225474_1836c08a-de9b-48e2-8d41-93a4b952f980.jpg

1539225822_de5e3db9-9e5f-4d7c-9b0e-ba57137aeba9.jpg

1539226393_464b0752-cc4a-46f0-a5c8-a8a83cf6ac76.jpg

Operation of the SDC with the foot attached: The Woody Foot doesnt catch on harness fittings or cause any issues when in use. It is tucked out of the way at the front of the detector.

I am impressed with the Stand. It does exactly what it was designed to do and at this point there does not appear to be any negatives in relation to its use.

Well done to the Woodies. They have produced a good quality product that will remain as a permanent fixture on my SDC. I have attached a pic of the Woody Foot sticker with the attached phone number for anyone who is interested.
1539225553_59c5ae23-57bc-4118-9790-4eab5301fd38.jpg

Cheers

Les

I have one on my SDC, got it at the beginning of my last GT trip and used it every day for 10 weeks. I'd agree with everything said by Lesgold.

I guess it depends on your height, build and how you swing, I noticed the slip in stand that came with the DD cover, as mentioned, not only unstable, but I kept knocking it on my leg, which caused it to move.

The Woodyfoot being a few inches lower on the detector (in front of the control box, not under it) doesn't knock my leg and if it did, never noticed. But it did not move anyway.

I Use a bungy on the 2300 and the Velcro strap the bungy hook is attached to sits below the woodyfoot on the upper shaft and works well......

Hi Sweeper,

Saw that one as well. Not as keen on the 3D printed stuff. More prone to breakage. I considered it but decided to go this way as I knew the quality was going to be good.

Cheers

Les

Les be interested to see also if foot print on 3d is as large as the woody one ?
3d type does come with 12 month warranty ?
Certainly not trying to detract from your post in any way. Just what I found whilst looking is all so put it out there :Y:

ps Happy to ask mods to shift to a separate string if you wish :Y:

No thats fine Sweeper. Im pleased that you put your post up. Its great that people have choice. When I saw the Woody Foot for the first time, I did exactly what you did and looked on eBay. Saw the other stand and then made a decision as to what I considered was the better product. I am sure that there will be people who end up with one or the other at some point in time. I also assume that there will be others who are not interested at all. Its all good. I am just happy that there are people out there who are prepared to have a go and design some good stuff to help make our hobby a little easier.

Cheers

Les

Hi Baldy,

Thanks for your comment. I understand where youre coming from and partly agree with what you are saying. I just found it annoying and was getting the sh#ts when the toy was placed on the ground and would then fall over just as I needed it. If I was working flat country, it would not be required to the same extent. A lot of the ground I cover is quite steep and I find it hard to locate and position the machine when digging a target. Will be heading over to the dark side (WA) in about a month. Will I use it over there? Maybe/ maybe not. Ill keep an open mind about that. It only takes about 10 seconds to remove it so Im not stressed about it. What I love about this forum is the variety of ideas and opinions you get from people. Makes you stop, think and make choices in relation to your own detecting situation.

Cheers

Les

Latest posts