what mineral is this

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Found this today slighty magnetic silver but glitters ???
1552463039_20190313_174818.jpg

I believe it might be chromite only if those octahedral crystal structures on the middle right of this photo (big rock) have a metallic lustre to them and are just covered in mud. Otherwise its very hard to tell off photos, doesn't appear to be any of the usual suspects. It would also explain if its slightly magnetic.

thanks , when i chipped it away from the main rock (big rock) the small silver glittery bits become apparent (looks like slag when your cutting steel with a oxy but glitter in in it best that can explain it) then i tested with a magnet an the little bits are slightly magnetic, can it be diamonds ?? ps ill try and get closer pictures when i go back there it looks like if the old timers have dug out of the hill then there left it ,and dug for gold further up the ridge but thanks

No not diamonds unfortunately. Diamonds aren't magnetic as they are Carbon based.

There's a handful of minerals that form octahedral crystal structure, diamond certainly is one. If you could cut a section of it, it might allow a better identification.