New to Prospecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey my names Jessica and I am in NSW, after watching various videos on both metal detecting and prospecting I feel like I wanna give either a go. Im 19 and am interested in coin, beach and definitely some good fever ? any knowledge you can share with me would be greatly appreciated either through my email or kik if ya use it ? just ask and yeah ? looking forward to this hopefully becoming a main hobby and hope to learn as much as I can.

Hi Jess welcome (again) ;)
if you dont have a detector yet, then do a bit of research before you buy. There are many detectors on the market, but 2 basic 2 types. VLF & PI.
have a read thru the 'For Sale' section & you will find some examples of what various machines sell for 2nd hand.
For gold detecting you generally need a PI, a VLF for almost all else, but a PI will work on coin, relics etc if setup correctly.
be very cautious when buying due to a lot of fakes around
good luck & have fun :goldnugget: :goldpan: :pickshovel: :Y:
DED

Ded Driver said:
Hi Jess welcome (again) ;)
if you dont have a detector yet, then do a bit of research before you buy. There are many detectors on the market, but 2 basic 2 types. VLF & PI.
have a read thru the 'For Sale' section & you will find some examples of what various machines sell for 2nd hand.
For gold detecting you generally need a PI, a VLF for almost all else, but a PI will work on coin, relics etc if setup correctly.
be very cautious when buying due to a lot of fakes around
good luck & have fun :goldnugget: :goldpan: :pickshovel: :Y:
DED

Hey DED, was hoping there would be someway I could contact you so I can send you potential detectors that I might buy, understand if you dont want to but would be appreciated as Ill have no clue as t how its a fake etc ? thanks

Welcome Jessicaaa, .... As what DED said, Beware, there are a lot of fakes out there... There are a few topics on here about Fake Detectors... If you go to buy a used Minelab, get the serial number first and you can do a search through minelab to see if it is a fake or worse Stolen... No serial number don't buy it... Or if the seller seems reluctant to give you the number.. Don't buy it...
It also depends on what you want to do with it or more to the point, Find... Certain Detectors are good for Gold, Certain Detectors are good for Coin and Relic hunting...

Plenty of advise on here and take your time in your purchase... Don't rush into things... Some Detectors are quite hard to learn... That's about all I can offer you as im not into Gold... Rocks, Minerals and Gems are my Fetish... :D ....unfortunately they haven't invented a Detector for Gems yet... :(

LW.... :koala:

C'mon guys, just a newbie looking for some advice ;)

If you're in Sydney there are plenty of beaches that see some big numbers. Plenty of things get lost.

Equinox 600 would see you well on the way.

Buy new from a reputable dealer (PhaseTech or ToysNThings on here for example) and then you'll have no issues with fakes.

Best of luck :Y:

This forum can be a strange place to navigate at first, we do get scammers on here and asking for personal contact shortly after joining does make alarm bells ring.
Welcome to a great hobby , read through some of the forum and you will see its full of helpful topics and great people.
Good luck.

Moving on, what detectors are you looking at? and what are you looking for?
This will usually determine your detector.

For example a gold detector is fundamentally different to a coin detector. Along with the price.

Loads of post already on the forum just use the find button.

1552600928_find.jpg

Or ask. As Northeast suggested a nox 600 would be a really good start for under a $1k.
The next stage is research. It is hard to find good areas with a lot of research or local knowledge.

Cheers

HH

She just sounds like she is super enthusiastic, shot out of a cannon and just needs a push in the right direction. Kids these days do everything by social media (Kik) We might not understand them but I dont think Jessicaaa is a scammer.

We are turning into a bunch of jaded old buggers. Gotta remember what it was like finding your first silver or first nugget. I still get giddy finding old silvers, I must find $50 in $1/$2 for every silver so its still a big deal for me.

Best thing for her to do is save up grab a Nox 600 and hit a popular beach, see what turns up. Work the towel lines and cuts after rough weather.
Parks and sports fields, just be caureful of local council rules. Disturb the ground as little as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts