What USB charger to get.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gents the Nox 800 says to use full power chargers (2a 5v) which rules out even an iPhone 7 charger. So Im looking for a decent charger to leave on my desk.

No doubt Minelab are being paranoid cause it says u can use a labtop at .5a 5v or a USB powerbank (doesnt mention a rating) but makes note to say not to use a mid rate charger (which is exactly what a laptop is (well it could even be a low rate))

Ideally 4 ports or multiables will be needed.

you can get a 2.4 amp charger, plugs into normal 240v wall socket with 2 outlets of 2.4 amp each from Office works for $10.00, purchased a couple last week and an extra one for the caravan just in case I forgot to put one in when leaving.

Its is Keji. Have tried to put up info, but nothing wants to work this morning.

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop...-dual-port-wall-charger-2-4a-white-cowcde24wh

try that. had something to eat, brain working again. :Y: :Y: available in black or white.

Graham

Yer office works / Phone shops/Big W /ect ect.
I got a 2amp/5v for the cigarette socket in the car as well.Just incase. :beer:

You get 2 leads and need 2 x 2a outputs.

Ive been iPhone for years and they are not suitable.

Im wondering if I can get a charger that has 4x 2a output, many dual chargers are 2.4/3.6a shared which are not suitable.

That kenji one mentioned above IS NOT suitable as its 2.4A combined.

Now Im not exactly sure why Minelab seems to state 2A chargers only but they warn against mid rate (1a chargers) Maybee there charge circuit is pretty crud.

Ideally Id like a quad one or a wall plate.

Gros21 said:
Now Im not exactly sure why Minelab seems to state 2A chargers only but they warn against mid rate (1a chargers) Maybee there charge circuit is pretty crud.
They state 2A chargers or better to ensure 3-4hr max charge time.
Also some 1A chargers were found to be "timing out" on their own protection circuit & not fully charging the Equinox. Other 1A chargers with no protection circuit may overheat.
1552365604_minelab-equinox-battery-charging-recommendations.jpg.9bc61f677b1af7905db06df2ca656445.jpg

mbasko said:
Gros21 said:
They state 2A chargers or better to ensure 3-4hr max charge time.
Also some 1A chargers were found to be "timing out" on their own protection circuit & not fully charging the Equinox.

It even warns against apple/Samsung 1a chargers though which is why Im confused. I completely understand dont use crud chargers ect. But to advise against an apple 1A unit.

WARNING! DO NOT USE a mid-capacity USB charger. For example, using a reputable and certified USB charger (e.g. Apple or Samsung), rated at1A @ +5V, the USB charger will typically engage its thermal protection safety function and automatically shut-down - the detector may NOT charge fully. A non-certified and sub-standard USB charger, rated at 1A @+5V may NOT have a safety function and could overheat and potentially fail completely.

The Keji being rated at 2.4amp would be suitable for charging one item(my error on 2.4 a each outlet). As my equinox 600 is used during the day it is then placed on the Keji charger and left until the following day. It will either charge at 1.2 amp for a longer period or at 2amp for a shorter period which ever it chooses to do, which ever way the charge rate has been setup, as it is rated at 2.4amp there is no problem with the protection circuit switching the charger off for any reason. If I want to charge the second 600 I will use a second 2.4amp charger.

2lateagain said:
The Keji being rated at 2.4amp would be suitable for charging one item(my error on 2.4 a each outlet). As my equinox 600 is used during the day it is then placed on the Keji charger and left until the following day. It will either charge at 1.2 amp for a longer period or at 2amp for a shorter period which ever it chooses to do, which ever way the charge rate has been setup, as it is rated at 2.4amp there is no problem with the protection circuit switching the charger off for any reason. If I want to charge the second 600 I will use a second 2.4amp charger.

Yep yea thats fine.

The 800 needs 2 as it also charges the wireless module. Then wireless headphones as well. Plus anything else you use detecting (gps/phones/torch ect ect)

mbasko said:
Yes because it may engage the protection circuit in the charger & hence not fully charge your Equinox.

I would of thought it would self reset. Just sounds fishy to me. That they say dont use a mid rate.

Hell I dont care if it takes forever to charge.

Any other device just draws just what it can be supplied/needs. Eg you can charge a iPad on a 1A charger sure it takes longer but does the job.

iPhones are not also charger but cable dependant. Non certified cables will result in your phone trickle charging.

I don't use this for a detector, but as I have numerous Ryobi tools always keep one of these in the car with a 5ah battery.

1552382968_capture.jpg

Using the charger recomend for the battery is a good idea if you want to get the most life out of your battery.

Latest posts