Here is an interesting one for you all...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found this little brass item metal detecting an 1870-1910 location in york, W.A . It says HOOLIGAN STEDWARD
From all my research I found out that there was a Edward Hooligan in England who was very famous in the late 1800s and who made the word Hooligan famous.
The other thing that i think it might be is something someone on face book advised me of, could be a book pin from a book in 1899 called Hooliganism was written by a St Edward . St Edward together is Stedward as there wasnt much room in the plate to fit the writing.
There is also what looks like 1 in on the back.
Measurements are ....55mm x 16mm .

Many thanks for any info in regards to this item.

Untitled by Marc Russo, on Flickr

1552284737_img_6180.jpg

reply from WA museum...

Hello Marc
Thank you for your inquiry about the brass metal item. We are not certain what this is, however, when I first saw this I immediately thought that it looked like something from a horse harness. Ive seen similar items that were fixed to horse winkers or saddle corners (and this could still be one of those). However, in this instance it could be a crude home stamped halter name plate, Hooligan could be the owner and St Edwards/Stedwards the horses name or vice versa. There are multiple images of halter name plates online (see what you think).

Latest posts