How to find old building locations?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Id like to find some old 1800s sites and areas but have no idea where to start. Ive heard buildings that were knocked down are good but how do you find them? Is there some website that has historic locations?

Local libraries also hold a lot of useful info on the history of your area, just a matter of putting some time into some research, reading etc. Scouring Google Earth can also come up with some leads, then just a matter of gaining permissions from the landowners.

Just be careful trying to detect some listed historical places in Vic as they may be protected, and hence attract hefty fines if caught. Private property is a different matter, as the landowner has rights to any coins/relics found on their property (up to you to negotiate with the landowner on any potential finds).

Google the site with, "history" etc then click on images.
Eg. Hill End, history google. Then select images.
A lot of the time on the gold feilds, markets where just tents.
Showing no remains.
The big outside bends of creeks, where it will be flat and sandy is an obvious spot to pitch a camp in the old days.
Here there is rubbish of old timers, is also the gem spot for lost relics.
Dig everything.
Patience... lots.
You will win eventually.
Where they camped, is where they lost and tossed everything.
A few rums... a few fights.... a few buttons torn off in the process!
"Get out of my dig!" :lol:

just look for unusual aspects in the landscape like big trees in the middle of a paddock terracing once your eye is trained you can tell old building locations a mile off

1552204156_48a2c19b-ca1a-4970-9efb-98114c392c85.jpg

Does this look like anything to anyone? Surely trees dont naturally line up like that

Its a wind break if you look in front of the two trees you can see the outline of rectangular building platform

indi said:
Its a wind break if you look in front of the two trees you can see the outline of rectangular building platform
Maybe, maybe not. Doesn't make sense to have a windbreak amongst other trees

Look for a site that shows historical Aerial maps for your State in Qld i use Qld Imagery
1552278419_qimag.jpg

Then get Maprika
1552278461_maprika.jpg

Load Image into there and set reference points off roads and known buildings etc
1552278638_hemmant.jpg

I also use old maps and Toppo Maps
1552278704_murr_map.jpg

and cross reference using Google Earth for clear Sat imagery and sometimes on ground pics
1552278779_google_earth.jpg

That QLD Imagery site is amazing. Not heard of it until you heads up Wrecka.

Looking at my street through the last 80 years and seeing buildings come and go. Absolutely fascinating.

Latest posts