SDC2300 aftermarket coil information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

I have actually pre-ordered the 14x9. I love everything about the SDC with the exception of that silly rear knuckle arrangement. I have never folded mine up and it is always fully extended (no pun intended). I love the idea of the elliptical coil as my go to area is in heavy bush and the 14x9 evo works for me on my 4500. I do want some depth advantage over the standard 8 inch and the 10x5 coil so we shall see.

Will it go any deeper?? we wont know till they come out, but here on the NSW south coast most gold I find is at an average depth and not that deep (3 - 7 inches). My mate has pre-ordered the 11 inch coil so it will be interesting to do some testing comparison on our gold field with a standard SDC before making comments good or bad.

I note that these new coils are 'water resistant'. So any water proofing of the SDC down to 3 metres could be compromised. This doesn't effect me but others might need to look at that.

Jack

I wonder if the coil/shaft connecter in the accesory pack will fit a NF coil/Minelab coil. if so i reckon the accessory pack is the bit to get.

On the weekend just gone Coiltek Gold Centre had on display at the Wedderburn Token Hunt an SDC with the new 14 x 9 attached .

Whilst I have never used an SDC , I picked up the one that they were showing , it did seem well balanced although that may mean little for now .

Only things that were being said was Coiltek ( the coil manufacturer) would be releasing bits n pieces about it each week leading up to its release .

For those local to Coiltek Maryborough ( the Gold shop ) perhaps if you call them they may still have it all set up to see...

Eski said:
I wonder if the coil/shaft connecter in the accesory pack will fit a NF coil/Minelab coil. if so i reckon the accessory pack is the bit to get.
There's been plenty of people that have modified SDC's to take other coils but the problem with these has been finding one or some that worked consistently well on the SDC.
Most general PI coils seem to have given the SDC issues with noise, loss of sensitivity etc.
From memory the best coil tried on the SDC was the Mineab Commander 8" mono which pretty much made the effort to modify it redundant other than being centre mounted.
Coils aren't coils it would seem when it comes to MPF PI tech? Even Minelab MPS PI's can be finicky with coils if not within tolerances.

MikeB05 said:
Any chance of Colitek publishing photos or a vid of the shaft conversion kit and its installation?

I cant see that this would be very easy given the SDC is a sealed unit.

A simple 5min conversion. The end cover is removed and the lead is unscrewed.

Rather than threading the new lead etc. You wrap and bring it up and reconnect. The kit includes a new style cover to facilitate the lead running externally rather than as per the orgional unit.

I have to remove that cover off mine for cleaning after beach and water hunts. Simple as.

AngerManagement said:
MikeB05 said:
Any chance of Colitek publishing photos or a vid of the shaft conversion kit and its installation?

I cant see that this would be very easy given the SDC is a sealed unit.

A simple 5min conversion. The end cover is removed and the lead is unscrewed.

Rather than threading the new lead etc. You wrap and bring it up and reconnect. The kit includes a new style cover to facilitate the lead running externally rather than as per the orgional unit.

I have to remove that cover off mine for cleaning after beach and water hunts. Simple as.

Thanks mate, appreciate the advice !!

A little bit of extra information.

Rumour doing the traps that Minelab has an arrangement with Coiltek and provided a chip required for the new coils. False.

Ex Minelab tech is now employed by Coiltech and been extensively involved with new coil development. True.

Minelab to do a media release prior to April 4 declaring SDC warranty will not be affected
True.

As per Anger Management post new contact for coil line at the control box with a replacement plate provided with cap and ball cover for original line. Replacing original coil a little harder than a gpx changeover but still easily done.

I cant wait to cover old ground with the 14 x 9
Bloody Oath !

Rockwall said:
Trash said:
There is now a video up on Coilteks FB page of the new Coiltek 11 round on the SDC in the field

Can see a photo but can't find a video.

Howdy , definitely a video there ,
Possibly 2

On Facebook - Coiltek manufacturing

Nightjar said:
Bacchus said:
Minelab to do a media release prior to April 4 declaring SDC warranty will not be affected True.

18/03/2019
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/doc/member-docs/1414/1552974591_minelab_coilteksdccoils_warrantynotice-sdc2300.pdf

Certainly not as bipartisan as I was told it would be , any damage from changing of the coil not being covered is probably to be expected, excluding that the machine is otherwise covered as I read it. Good video but would have been nice to see a standard SDC waived over the top .

Just looking at some pictures of an sdc with the new coil fitted. Why can't the lead go inside a shaft ?
Also from what I can understand you are supplied with a bit of chain to get the old lead back in if you want to put it back to standard. Seems like a rush job to get something onto the market that is cheap enough for some sales.
I'm not saying it's a bad thing to have a choice of coils though and I do hope they work ok.

I just edited this. I had more in here that really wasn't relevant.

Wishful, I had a closer look at this setup at the APLA field day here last week, & the centre mount adaptor that fits into the end of the standard shaft is a solid piece, preventing the coil being run inside. My guess is the adaptor needs to be solid for strength

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the standard sdc shaft is carbon fiber and so would be expensive to manufacture. So that is most likely why as you say they have opted for a solid piece. Pitty it is lke that.
Why are the new coils not waterproof ?

Latest posts