Reedy Creek Victoria information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
moeee said:
Tathradj said:
Only we can "Block" a member.
Thats a shame.
Most of the forums I have frequented had a "IGNORE" option where you could click the box on a particular member , and their posts were not displayed to the member who clicked ignore.
It worked really well.
???
I started to wonder why it would would be necessary? And why you needed it?
But hell now I think maybe it would be a good :D idea!

I have taken a quick look at all the posts and don't think the answer to the original question has been posted before.
The Reedy creek that they are referring to is a creek East of Broadford it's name now is Dabamingi creek (wrong spelling) also on the exempted list. Ken.

ken2m said:
I have taken a quick look at all the posts and don't think the answer to the original question has been posted before.
The Reedy creek that they are referring to is a creek East of Broadford it's name now is Dabamingi creek (wrong spelling) also on the exempted list. Ken.
In fact the Reedy Creek the thread is about is the reedy creek that is a tributary that flows into the Ovens River.

Matt80 said:
Wouldn't it be great if there was a simple map with where u could go shaded in green, where u needed special permission shaded yellow and everywhere else red? Too much to ask it seems...
Dunno about the vico permit but where you purchase your nsw fossicking permit online all the designated fossicking area's are shown on a map

jethro said:
I think if I worried as much as some here do about the ins and outs of a list that was compiled and gazzetted over 130 years ago for reasons that are now totally iralavant to todays hobby fossicker I wouldnt bother going out at all. Just sayin. :/

Tread lightly friends,

I agree jethro, I personnly know a bloke who, in the late seventies and early eighties was a regular panner, high banker, and dredger of the Thomson River.
The Thomson was on the list then and is now, I recently caught up with him and mentioned the Exempt list to him.. And he told me that he and his mate had regular visits by forestry Rangers to see how they went, the first time the Rangers checked their miners right then never bothered them again.

He told me the list was in regard to mining claims along rivers and creeks, building a dwelling on that claim was exempt from taxes whilst the claim was being worked.
I don't know if he is right or wrong, but I do know he found a lot of gold, he even showed me where his claim on the banks of the Thomson was on a map.
So how a claim can be let through back then on a location on a river that is on the list... I only wonder.

RR

20xwater said:
Matt80 said:
Wouldn't it be great if there was a simple map with where u could go shaded in green, where u needed special permission shaded yellow and everywhere else red? Too much to ask it seems...
Dunno about the vico permit but where you purchase your nsw fossicking permit online all the designated fossicking area's are shown on a map
Personally l have access to plenty of private land these days, but lm in central Qld(not the gem feilds area) and l remember when l was just starting out that the biggest single hurdle l had was knowing where l could or couldn't go and what l could use. Figuring out what equipment l could use didn't take long, but working out what land or water was legally available was very difficult, indeed l still would see a lot of areas as Gray areas that are open to interpretation though lm lucky enough to have enough land available already so l don't need to worry about it now.

Rambling rude said:
jethro said:
I think if I worried as much as some here do about the ins and outs of a list that was compiled and gazzetted over 130 years ago for reasons that are now totally iralavant to todays hobby fossicker I wouldnt bother going out at all. Just sayin. :/

Tread lightly friends,

I agree jethro, I personnly know a bloke who, in the late seventies and early eighties was a regular panner, high banker, and dredger of the Thomson River.
The Thomson was on the list then and is now, I recently caught up with him and mentioned the Exempt list to him.. And he told me that he and his mate had regular visits by forestry Rangers to see how they went, the first time the Rangers checked their miners right then never bothered them again.

He told me the list was in regard to mining claims along rivers and creeks, building a dwelling on that claim was exempt from taxes whilst the claim was being worked.
I don't know if he is right or wrong, but I do know he found a lot of gold, he even showed me where his claim on the banks of the Thomson was on a map.
So how a claim can be let through back then on a location on a river that is on the list... I only wonder.

RR

It all depends on your interpretation of the definition of occupation, to stand on or to build a house on. Ken.

G'day ladies and gents,
Just wondering if any local to the area could tell me if the creek is running. I am planning to have a scratch on the long weekend. I think the weather forecast says it is going to be warm so might change plans if it's just puddles.
Cheers,
Beagleboy

Thanks mate. I was hoping you will chime in. I will be there from Saturday and leave Monday morning. Let me know if you in the area so we can catch up again.

Hi guys, can anyone tell me what the flow of Reedy creek is like now? I plan on testing my trommel this weekend

1968falconxt said:
Hi guys, can anyone tell me what the flow of Reedy creek is like now? I plan on testing my trommel this weekend

No flow there mate.
If you actually want to test it properly it would be better to take it somewhere that had clay etc, Eldorado is the easiest place to pan, sluice, it's kind of like sand and small pebble like material. I personally would just ignore any test you did there as it wouldn't mean much at all. (not trying to be rude there, just a fact)

Creswick has been hammered but that would actually test your machine properly with it's harder to process soils.

Maryborough has some big dams like the one at settling ponds track where you could use it, that material would also test it properly.

Pretty much everything around Beechworth is puddles at the moment. Puddles and bloody leeches. to test a trommel I would take it out on Snowy Creek just south of Mitta. good flow. might be hard getting a campsite on the creek as its pretty popular.

Thanks guys, I guess I wont be going to Reedy Creek. Snowy Creek is probably a bit far for a one nighter.

Slatey Creek in Creswick will probably also have bugger all water right now too. Perhaps a trip to Maryborough is worth a look

Hey Falcon If you still want to have a go in Reedy ck I can point you in the right direction. Its a place I worked a trommel in 15 yrs ago. I went and rediscovered and tested it yesterday. Averages about ten colours and a tablespoon of black sand / cassiterite garnet Zircon. to the dish. Plenty enough water to run recirculating back into the pool. Only downside is its a carry job to get gear in from the road couple of hundred metres. I was planning on hitting it with my little high banker. But theres plenty there for a couple of units.

jethro said:
Hey Falcon If you still want to have a go in Reedy ck I can point you in the right direction. Its a place I worked a trommel in 15 yrs ago. I went and rediscovered and tested it yesterday. Averages about ten colours and a tablespoon of black sand / cassiterite garnet Zircon. to the dish. Plenty enough water to run recirculating back into the pool. Only downside is its a carry job to get gear in from the road couple of hundred metres. I was planning on hitting it with my little high banker. But theres plenty there for a couple of units.

Hey Jethro - what's the flow like in Reedy Creek at the moment? Will be heading there in 10 days or so.

creek is very low up near the gourge and just a series of pools down at Mcfeeters crossing. I havent been over there since labour day.

Latest posts