maps for tab

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
bought a new android tab A yesterday first one i have ever had still scratching my head and working out how to drive it . what i would like to know is what would be the most useful maps program to put on it for our hobby . i will be putting wiki camps on it cos its handy and the tablet has google maps of course but for the eternal search for shiny things whats is a good value useful maps .
NSW , QLD mainly at the moment further afield maybe later .
johno

Hi Texta, i use memory map, and australian topo maps, both are free to download via the play store app,just type the names in the search function. Another good gps app is waze it even has all police cameras as well and is free. I hope this was a big help to you, Cheers Noel. :Y:

ok thanks very much for that i will check them out . i had a heap of problems today trying to download and install a trend micro android security thing i bought from hardly normal . i ended up clicking on a site that turned out to be very dodgy to say the least .they were pretending to be trend micro site but when the fellow on the phone told me he needed another 199 bucks to sort out my issue i realised the phone number on the dodgy site was even more dodgy and after an hour or so in chat with telstra got it sorted so all good now , but i have had enough of the tablet for one day .
johno

I use google maps for all my nav. I have a handheld gps for backup. Just view the area you plan to go beforehand and it is retained for about a month in memory. Out in the field the detail is great and it works off gps so you can always see yourself as the blue dot on the screen

I am only depending on google map at this moments as I have just started my treasure hunting... but going to get a handheld gps soon as a backup :|

I have a Samsung Tab A and use it as primary offroad moving map in my car

For QLD it is simple - download ORUX Maps from Google Play (free) and download the topographic maps from the government QTOPO site. These are geo pdfs. You have to download them 1 x 1 which is a pain but since they are also free it is hard to complain.

I download the 1:100k topo maps for everywhere I want to go (fishing driving etc) and also download the 1:25k topo & phototopos for areas I want to detect.

You will probably want to load the maps onto a micro SD card as each QTopo is 15-20M & each ITopo is 20-30M, last count I had 7GB ( 400 files) but that is overkill - you just get the ones you want for now & add others as you need them.

Point Orux at your SD card ( Global settings / App storage/ maps directory) and then load them ( Maps/Offline/initialise)( press the circular arrows icon) and you are good to go.

your location is shown on the map & moves with you but you cant search or Goto map features, only to user waypoints. No biggy

I have Orux + QTopo on my phone as well as VERY handy when walking around.