Lachlan river failure

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngusKeene

Formerly (StinkyPete1977)
Reaction score
Went out to explore some new prospects today. I'd heard that gold had been found along the Lachlan river by the old timers. Went out to test at Newarra Bridge and at first glance it looked perfect. Lots of crevicing areas, lots of quartz and black sand and most importantly... Not one single hole or tailings pile to be seen. To good to be true I thought and it was...four hours of test panning and not a single speck of colour. I'll have to do some better research next time.

On the bright side...Tuena was only 45 minutes away.

Don't get too down on finding nothing this time, you just never know what you may find unless you try.
And with Tuena 45min away your laughing ;)

the lachlan holds plenty of gold just do more research ( cowra boy born and bred ) there are places only old timers remember but lost from the paper records

raygooley said:
the lachlan holds plenty of gold just do more research ( cowra boy born and bred ) there are places only old timers remember but lost from the paper records
Anything out Reid's Flat way?

110% gold country in Reids Flat area all will tell you i hunted this are as a kid for ten yrs plus found many old mines hidden away and NOT on maps or regd, they kept this a local secret even i was told mines were for gun blueb by locals , i nv realised until 20yrs later they lied !!!. the geology is same as entire basin to hill end , from there to hill end read ya maps geology study is vital im into paleontology so i know the stuff hold the yellow mate , keep lookin these areas are still maiden .

Reids flat to frogmore crossing , I can remember when i was 17 started shooting bunnies out that way hundreds of them so there may be a few 22 calibre shell laying around lol now i is 67 the hills were steep with large granite boulders never found any mines or tracks off road but the old fella from clarence gap reckoned there was tungsten in them there boulders

Bushranger said:
raygooley said:
Anything out Reid's Flat way?
. Yes mate I remember early 80's hunting area with my shotgun , my step dad argued no gold , told him stop the car ,got out the frypan , was all I had , panned dirt in furrow beside the road into Reid's , got three specks of gold !. He was shocked nv said a word all day !!. I found several mines that ARE NOT REG ON MINE REG SITES , Exactly where sorry that's confidential, But The Lachlan holds. Gold from sources HIGH UP , The area was under an early ocean evident by rounded boulders up on hills I took an hour to walk up !. Not all our NSW gold has B ten found gov says 80% remains , Vic has been hammered and still gives up a kilo chunk every year or less , Its still about , Potatoe nuggets of a pound in weight , They nv got it all but the Chinese were very very good and exp from China made them leaders in the gold rush. Water races lead to gold , Geo maps lead to shear zones , Learn what I say here and you will get gold , But keep the good spots to self , Its not easy,many miles and $$$ in fuel , Snake ,hidden mines, no help make it high risk so it comes from blood sweat n tears mate ...

Latest posts