Boosters and Headphones for SDC2300

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Correct ,The Gray Ghost Amphibian Headphones I have modded to suit the 3030 I prefer these to the Koch headphones as they sit far nicer and have their own vol control on them , so yes I'd like a lead that takes the 3030 headphone connection stepped back down to a 1/4" jack

M.

Hi Nenad,

As you I know I do a bit of travelling and often wear ear phones (ear plug type) rather than a headset. Would also be happier wearing these rather then the full on headphones in the summer heat. Are there any adapters for the 1/8" plugs on the ear phones? There may be others who would prefer ear phone for the same reason.

Cliff

Is there a range that would be ideal in HZ/kHZ for a speaker/headphone we talk about soft tones and signals but they must be produced at a level. If we know these levels can we not match a speaker/head phone with these capacities ? I have seen a big difference in speakers for the low tones and high tones. Or is it more to do with the impedance of the headphones etc...

If we can say it should have these tones/range ... and this impedance... then should they not provide the signals we need ? Or have I got this all about face wrong.

Westaus said:
Is there a range that would be ideal in HZ/kHZ for a speaker/headphone we talk about soft tones and signals but they must be produced at a level. If we know these levels can we not match a speaker/head phone with these capacities ? I have seen a big difference in speakers for the low tones and high tones. Or is it more to do with the impedance of the headphones etc...

If we can say it should have these tones/range ... and this impedance... then should they not provide the signals we need ? Or have I got this all about face wrong.

One of my reasons for purchasing a set of headphones was a review that my pair http://au.pcmag.com/headphones-reviews/5734/review/numark-electrowave

was reviewed as "it reproduces mid-high and high frequencies clearly and crisply" and "Compared with the pricier Technics RP-DH1250, the Electrowave seems similar, if perhaps slightly less boosted, in the sub-bass frequencies, and perhaps a bit brighterthe Technics pair seems a bit more focused on midrange content than the higher frequencies. Sonically, I'd give the Electrowave the slight edge here"

So if we are looking for subtle tones of "Gold" it would be good if someone had an idea of what range that tone is. My F1A4 M2 allows me to change the tone so possibly match a response to the headphones im using.....im no expert but in my head it makes sense.

Coyote said:
Hi Nenad,

As you I know I do a bit of travelling and often wear ear phones (ear plug type) rather than a headset. Would also be happier wearing these rather then the full on headphones in the summer heat. Are there any adapters for the 1/8" plugs on the ear phones? There may be others who would prefer ear phone for the same reason.

Cliff

Hi Cliff,

A lot of the earbud type headphones come with a 1/4" adaptor these days, or you can easily buy them.
Just a word of warning, most of those put out a very weak response through the detectors audio. I have tried 4 different ones and all were lackluster.

Yesterday I was out and I could've done with a good set of earbud phones as it was HOT, where I'd normally use a booster/speaker combo, but it was also really windy. My solution was a frillneck hat, with the flaps covering the ears, and then the Sunray headphones over the top. Got rid of flies, wind noise, sweaty ears and a burnt neck and managed to score a piece :)

LOL

Out with another yesterday for a little while for some R&R (been at least 6 weeks since had a min for a swing). And here in QLD, with my full covered ear pads... Sweet and full of sweat after a few min... Annoying, as not use to water sounds in the ear pads; when not in the water...

Must get some behind head ear pads and can also have the wide brim hat on...

A great cheep accessory to help with hearing etc is any number of the Mini guitar amps... YEP... About $20 is all you need....

And theh great thing is that most have have Gain / Tone / Volume control; while the ones up at $50 have USB to charge batteries and some have more functions. I use some no more gaps to put on the dials on the one I have; to help lock in the settings that I LIKE.

Depending on the headphones you have and what one you buy; you will need to play to get it set to your liking... What I have found is that it appears that on the 705 a number of items can come up in the 30 to 32 but not be a $1 or a $2... With the amp it seems to help me to separate what I am hearing and to allow me to quickly skip some, as the difference with the $1 and $2 Vs lids and other items appears to much more discernible....

Could be me, could be real but at some where between $12 and $60 to have Volume Gain Tone and other settings etc Would be great to see how they go with gold machines :cool: If you try and find it's OK... Let me know.

Features:
Get acoustic sound from your electronic guitar.
Aux in jack lets you play along with your MP3 player.
No matter where are or travelling, you can enjoy your music at any time without disturbing other people.

Specifications:
6.5mm Main input jack
MP3 input jack: 3.5mm
Earphone jack: 3.5mm

Phase tech id love to know ur opinion on headphone choice, I have no clue and am wondering if my impulse purchase was correct? They should arrive any day!

Well, two things stand out for me on your Numarks: only 24 Ohm, and 100 dB sensitivity. So by that, it should mean that they won't be particularly loud, and they won't give you much of a boost on faint signals BUT I have tested enough headphones to tell me that specs sometime mean nothing when connected to a detector.

In general, headphones with an Ohm rating of 40-70, and a Sensitivity of 106 or higher will generally be good at picking out faint signals. For gold detecting, you don't need good bass, you don't need good high end, you just need good clarity, and that comes from a flat response, or even better a boost in mid-range. Studio or Monitor headphones usually have this characteristic, but the negative is that the build quality is a bit on the delicate side, and they can be fairly quiet. That is one reason I decided to stock the Sunray pro golds - they are built for detecting, very robust, and their audio response is suited to detectors. I'm still on the lookout for a dj style headphone I can offer for around the $100 mark, but the challenge is finding something that sounds like the Technics or Sunray and has a good build quality.

So anyway, let us know how you find them when they arrive. What do you have to compare them with?

Nenad

Hey PT, don't have anything to compare them with yet....except for the external B&Z. Will let you know how it goes when i've done a bit of swinging with them, and hopefully I can offer an opinion if they are crap or ok. Ill try and do a swap at the PA meet to see what others are using and what they sound like! I reckon the big variable is peoples ears. I had a perforated ear drum when I was younger so that doesn't help, my detector has a tone control that may help get me get the right pitch that pings well in my ear.

As the SDC2300 is my first detector I have nothing to compare the performance with the
supplied UL 30 headphones with or to.
I understand that a lot of you would have another detector and would want to use
the same or favourite headphones between units , however a technical review from those
who have used them in comparison to others would be appreciated.

My only comment is that the Minelab test dummies must have very
large heads ! ;)

Cheers

Rick

do you run a booster on your sdc and what brand I have used a treasure mate v3 and I am not a fan

I'm a little biased but the steelPHASE sP01 enhancer is the best on the market and perfect for use on the SDC. You do need an adapter cable as the SDC has an unusual headphone socket, but as you are already using the Treasure Mate, you may already have this.

1533268433_steel_phase_amp_img_0989.jpg

Just another excuse to post a picture of my little nugget!!
Matt T

madtuna said:
Not blowing smoke up Pat or Nenads bum, I just use what works the best. By far it's the SPO1.
Not just sound quality but build quality also.

I work in the engineering design field, & I know first hand that when an Aussie business (most, but not always all) sets out to build ANYTHING properly, it usually is top notch. Stuff built properly in Oz is of world class.
Im always dismayed when I hear of another Aussie manufacturing business going under, but its hard to compete against cheaper imported (& very often inferior) products.
Hence I try to be as patriotic as I can.
So get on board people, (yes it may cost a little more) but BUY AUSTRALIAN MADE when you can. Our future generations depend on the jobs too.

I ended up getting a BOOTY BOOSTER it worked well and was clear would recommend highly
1533368360_img_1641.jpg

Latest posts