Real Camping

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ctxkid said:
as a motorcycle ralliest since youth (army coat and green ginger wine) i am to body fecked to rough it , i take what keeps me comfy
rough it is for those that are young or cannot afford to have good things

I call bull on your statement,I have plenty of money and have heaps of good things, but I prefer to roll my swag out on the ground, it does not phase me at all, snakes and spiders dont give them a second thought, I go camping to get away from all the crap in town,not take it all with me,might as well stay home,its called getting old and/or getting soft

Peko said:
ctxkid said:
as a motorcycle ralliest since youth (army coat and green ginger wine) i am to body fecked to rough it , i take what keeps me comfy

I call bull on your statement,I have plenty of money and have heaps of good things, but I prefer to roll my swag out on the ground, it does not phase me at all, snakes and spiders dont give them a second thought, I go camping to get away from all the crap in town,not take it all with me,might as well stay home,its called getting old and/or getting soft
Power to you :power:

You must have been kinder to your body in your youth ;)

Peko said:
ctxkid said:

I agree bit of a dumb ass statment

Peko said:
ctxkid said:

I guess that you are entitled to your opinion Peko, but others are as well, and we do ask for a bit of respect for the opinions of others.
Me I also have heaps of "good" things as well, and that includes a 4x4 campervan, but also I have tarps for camping, 2x swags, several tents of different styles & weights, etc, and each is used as appropriate for the particular outing that I am undertaking. Trying to shelter all day or sleep in a swag, when it is pouring rain, and where there is a few inches or more of water on the ground, is not my idea of a swag being the best to be using. Yep >500mm in a couple of weeks 2 years ago and no fun, but no worries in the camper.
So each to there own and their circumstances, and it may be "bull" for you, but take care, when, where and how you travel and camp.

Rob P.

the biggest thing is all of us camp in many different ways and as Pablo said all depends on the day u go a tarp between 2 trees of a 80000 caravan who cares go out and enjoy your time in the bush camping should not be about money or who has what a nice weekend away or just triping around its all about what you are comfortable with :perfect:

Peko said:
ctxkid said:

Snakes phase me :( as do most things that can kill me :skull: How about crocs ?
As has been said , where your camping, how long the stay etc are but a few of the factors that determines the set up for the trip ;)

Are you all I N S A N E.......... I camp out in my lounge room looking out the window at a tree, surrounded by the busy buzz of the city..... one day someone will drag me out to camp forever in a silk lined box.... that'll be enough camping for me ;)

Dog Ranger said:
Peko said:
ctxkid said:

Snakes phase me :( as do most things that can kill me :skull: How about crocs ?
As has been said , where your camping, how long the stay etc are but a few of the factors that determines the set up for the trip ;)

I too don't like creepy crawlies getting at me when I am sleeping.
One case I didn't put in my previous entry was that when using a swag or tent is I will only use one that has full zip closure on the entry points. I was using a swag at Niagra dam (WA) a few years ago and when I got up the next morning there was a large snake riggle trail through the dust right beside my swag. I still shudder at the thought of what the snake may have done if I wasn't in a zipped up swag.

Rob P

When I drove around Australia and slept in my sleeping bag on the ground, some time's you would hear strange noise,

Open your eye's to see water rats right next to your head :lol: :lol:

No wonder my partner and the cat slept in the car :lol: :lol: :lol:

Goody :)

PabloP said:
I guess that you are entitled to your opinion Peko, but others are as well, and we do ask for a bit of respect for the opinions of others.
Me I also have heaps of "good" things as well, and that includes a 4x4 campervan, but also I have tarps for camping, 2x swags, several tents of different styles & weights, etc, and each is used as appropriate for the particular outing that I am undertaking. Trying to shelter all day or sleep in a swag, when it is pouring rain, and where there is a few inches or more of water on the ground, is not my idea of a swag being the best to be using. Yep >500mm in a couple of weeks 2 years ago and no fun, but no worries in the camper.
So each to there own and their circumstances, and it may be "bull" for you, but take care, when, where and how you travel and camp.

Rob P.

good and wise words Pablo !

My wife and I camped in tents for years, all around the UK and Europe but then upgraded to a camper trailer when we had kids. We find it nice to have a few comforts like a sprung mattress to sleep on as well as having nearly everything already packed and ready to go. Having the camper trailer also gets us out more than the tent seemed to as well.

Now that the boys have started to get a bit older I have started to get them out in the tent to rough it a bit which is also good. It's nice to get back to basics but I wouldn't get rid of the camper trailer either!

My view is that there's no right or wrong way to camp as long as you get out there and respect your neighbours and the place you're camping while you're there.

Well guys and girls.

Last weekend was the camp of my 8yr old Daughter, her choice where to go and what to do.

Previously I explained that I have bonding weekends alone with my kids, wife no at work and takes care of the others.

So Miss 8 decided on Victor Harbour, fishing, caravan park pool and water slides, parks and maybe something of my choice for her.

Sat - travel down, set up camp (in the caravan park) and tent up, gear in, off to the pool. I forgot my swimmers !!
An hour on the water slides after 1/2hr of shyness, first slide and she made a friend - as kids do.
Off to MacDonalds for late lunch - her choice.
Later went fishing and caught a squid, she pulled up heaps of smaller fish which fulfilled her needs.
I chatted with the local boys club at the Bluff, we returned home to the tent and then enjoyed a hearty frozen dinner meal from the microwave. :awful:

Sun - after a 2am wakeup for the loo we talked until about 5am, she had her own air mattress and sleeping bag, but had decided that my double mattress
was hers too, and my double quilt - LOL We sms'd the wife at 3am as a joke, BUT the wife was awake too, the 3yr old had woken her and she wasnt falling asleep.
Got up and went for a quick fish, small ones again, now it was boring her. Went for a cooked breakfast, the young ones desire, and then headed off to Goolwa Beach
to do some 'cockling' and maybe get to the Murray Mouth.
She found the cockles, I was to low on the beach, got about 300, in size, and then we headed down to the Murray Mouth.
I'm not very experienced with 4WDing at all but it isnt rocket science and there were over 100 vehicles along the Beach, we had some minor thrills and
arrived at the Mouth to find others fishing. Mainly Mullet was caught and we fished a little, she hammered me again catching more and we were almost the last to leave.
Headed back down the beach and back to Victor.
She wanted to go to the Movie Theatre we found the previous night, so we got back to the tent, she showered while I ordered pizza, then I showered and we rushed to
pick up the pizza and get to the movie.
Tickets in hand along with 2x pizza, popcorn, cheeto's, ice cream and huge drink we made it to the seats - total 6 people to watch 'Alita'
Pizza was crap, and she had to get another huge cup of drink, 2hrs of movie we did not really enjoy, but it was good quality non talking time.

Mon. (pupil free school day) we woke up late, had some really nice pork ribs for breakfast, she had a swim while I slowly packed up, then she had a shower and
helped me pack the tent. We went for another fish and then headed home after a small explore of the area.

A good weekend, she felt like a queen, and we did bond more ;) :) :perfect:

1550829995_cam00971.jpg

1550829995_cam00972.jpg

1550830055_cam00979.jpg

1550830055_cam00985.jpg

1550830133_cam00989.jpg

1550830133_cam00990.jpg

1550830133_cam00991.jpg

I feel ya there Stoyve, I have 4 girls and they all love camping, even the youngest at 3yrs.

She is hanging to go to Mannum for a camp, just the two of us. We had a mixed family camp there in Jan so thats what she wants to do.

I should be able to mix that with some fishing, canoeing, yabby nets, spotlighting Roo's and other animals (not shooting, just observing)

all that and a Pub dinner should make her feel special - along with some stories and a pony or Barbie video :)

Best to be somewhere there are toilets and water available for her.

My two girls now love the bush and have degrees in environmental science because of that. Mostly loving the flora and fauna out there in Oz.
They're good in basic swags and tents in all terrains, and now call me a wooz with my Penguin Outback van. Let's see how they go at 64?
So be it, but whilst they can dress to kill (like my ex), they're still my "bushies": have learned much history of the GT, and their partners have a hard time keeping up :Y:

Latest posts