Myrtleford, Bright area information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
going for a week trip to bright with the family, any one know where to pan up that way?

Hi all ,getting round to the annual couple of weeks off and this time the wife would like to visit an old childhood holiday spot , so we are off to Bright for a week or so in May .

All I know about Bright /Wandiligong is that theres no point bringing the gpx , all the gold is fine , and the Ovens and Morses Ck are on the exempted list !

Ive got the old pans and sieves out and a shiny new mckirk recon 2 and hoping to find some water close to Bright that I can duck out to for a couple of hours ,without incurring the wraith of Mrs bbrook . Growlers ck looks interesting but I wont know till I get there .

I see that Reedy creek is quite popular (listed as a fossicking area and also on the exempted list !) though it is a bit far away for a sneaky trip !

I've also got a copy of "gold fossicking around Bright" but all the spots are in the Ovens , Morses or Buckland R and I hate looking over my shoulder in case I get caught in the wrong spot .

Any advice would be appreciated, or even a chance to meet up , as the area is a long way from my usual haunts .
Thanks Brett

I was at the Ovens river last week at Smoko and the ranger came past our camp looking for people doing "Illegal prospecting activities". Some guys had been reported dredging in the river. So just a heads up they do care :)

Thanks for the replies .

I know that all the tourist promotion stuff pushes fossicking as an attraction , and I saw they even do panning tours on Morse's ck but I would rather stay inside the ( outdated ) law .

thanks Brett

Oh sorry I was fly fishing there not prospecting, just saying I think its best to do the right thing so we can still enjoy the places we are allowed. :Y:

No worries ,never been one for jumping fences and being where I shouldn't .

I guess I will have to wait til I get there and see where the water is . I might have to take a day off from holiday duties and go to Beechworth in the permitted fossicking areas at Reedy ck
I'll give a shout out closer to the dates and see if anyone else is heading up that way

thanks brett

Up at bright now , out to growlers for a couple of mornings and got a few fine specks with the pans and sluice . The mackirk works a treat for the volume I'm putting through and it's a pretty bit of creek. I'm not digging deep so I guess it's just flood gold but it keeps the interest up
Thanks ,brett

Bright was an important goldfield, was even a gold mine operating near there into the 1990s (Murmungee), still one last year further up the valley at Harrietville - good luck

Bright area is generally pannable gold but there are or were patches of detectable gold, theres some efficient detectorists in that area that have more than likely taken the cream but if your smart and do your homework a nugget is possible . Goodluck and it is a absolutely beutiful region so even if theres no color you will enjoy your time :D

Thanks for the info, its all about the enjoyment getting out there but my partner doesnt understand so if find some there is a chance might get a ring made from it Im sure she will come around. No plans yet got a couple of weeks to explore might head to GT. :)

onegram said:
Even so you may want to check out Morses at the Caravan Park (or elsewhere) if you are still interested in this kind of activity.

Do it very carefully, though....'cause Morses Creek is on the dreaded "Rivers and streams where you can't fossick" list....dammit!!

Latest posts