Grabben Gullen information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Small area each side of the bridge is public fossicking and camping, pay attention if fire bans are in place.

The people that own the land each side are super nice people and will let you camp and fossick on there property if you ask them, just go and knock on there door.
I was on there property for 1 day over easter, only for 1 crapy stone but it was good to have a look around and plan for another trip.

Anybody been out to Grabben Gullen in the last few days? I am just wondering how the area fared after the crazy weather we had over the weekend. Plenty of water fell in Sydney - I'm not sure how much fell out that way. Does anybody know if the creek is flooding?

I was considering heading out this weekend and brave the cold for a quick dig.

Cheers

Pete

Hey phantom,Crookwell has had 80 mm of rain in the last 4 days,so I reckon the creek would be fairly flowing.Not sure it would be worth the trip mate.Why don't you head to Sapphire Bend near Black Springs in the Vulcan State Forest? You would have to start a new dig though as any of the old holes would be full of water.

Hi all,

I am thinking of heading out to Grabben Gullen on the weekend with the family.

Is there any place where the kids can have a splash in the water?

Also, being new to fossicking all I have is a 1/4 sieve, pan and some digging tools. An I able to find sapphires with these? I have seen two sieves being used so not sure.

Cheers.
Eric

I wouldn't be swimming in the creek there, some pretty big tiger leaches in there and they can be ravenous. :) Yeah you can find stones with just a 1/4 inch sieve, will take a touch longer to wash but that's no worries.

Watch out for snakes too, plenty there this time of year, very very snakey spot. Don't be too worried though, just keep it in mind.

Not trying to scare you off, hope you get some stones.

We were out at Grabben Gullen last Thursday/Friday, the leeches weren't too bad (2), there's a couple of spots to cool off, which was a welcome relief. The shallow rock bars with running water are good spot as we've found the leaches are in the slower, well vegetated sections. We didn't see any snakes this time and we were on the lookout as we're both keen/keep reptiles and wanted a few pics.

We were using double sieves 1/4 & 1/8 inch and found enough to keep it interesting and wanting to go back. A number were in the 1/4 inch sieve. We got sapphires, tourmaline and a few others which as beginners we're still trying to identify. Also found a lump of rock with what appears to be fern or cycad fossils.

Watch out for Roo's if you're driving from late afternoon.

Have fun.
Jeff

Hey guys, been awhile on these forums as we know life can get busy haha.

Anyway I'm planning on bearing the cold and heading down to grubben gullen and was wondering what its like down there atm, the last I went there was about 1 -2years ago now and was curious to know what its like there today. im assuming the same but is it overgrown etc whats the water lvl like, can u cross over and walk up or is it flowing strong with no access to the other side.

Regards,
Tim.

ended up heading sapphire bend, didnt know they had some logging in the area hole are been dug up haha. did find a few so cant complain. cheers anyway

I've been to the bridge and panned around in the creek below and found nothing. Not even a spinel.

I'd like to go back and maybe walk the creek for a better spot, but I would really appreciate some help please.

Would anyone be so kind as to private message me a better place to look and sit quietly with a pan and garden trowel?

I just go to get away from the grind and the noise of people. Good for my mental health.

Many thanks,

Baz.

Br4uSyg.jpg

I've driven past heading north on my way home and met 3 young guys from Canberra. They'd be up the creek (towards the south side) until they reached a waterfall of some sort and we're digging and sieving the gravel in the river.

Showed me probably 30 Sapphires and a handful of Zircons, all cutter size and good clarity for about 4 hours work.

But much the same as other areas, you need to be digging down into the older gravel washes, this can usually be seen in the big holes people have dug into the side of the riverbank. Sometimes 1-2ft down.

Hi All

Just curious, previous posts about this area talk about digging near the bridge and a little bit on the side where the house is. I was wondering if the area on the east side of the bridge like I have marked in the photo produces any stones and if so how far down are you allowed to go. I've never been there before but looking to go there soon but don't want to waste my time around the bridge or hassle the guy in the house on the west side. :beer: :beer: :beer:

1572314655_grabben.jpg

Latest posts