Gemstone enhancements/treatments and care

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some reading material for the current known gemstone enhancements/treatments available and their codes that identify the specific treatment/enhancement on certificates. Theres also a care guide to reduce any premature wear or damage. Note if theres a different treatment identified thats not on the list for the specific gem then thats a big red flag.

Feel free to add any other information that has been missed

http://www.palagems.com/enhancements/

Throw up any questions on treatments and I will do my best to answer with photos that clearly show what to look for.

I am getting together as much as I can as a side note to my untreated collection of stones that have been treated. Im also going to try get photos up of the treatments in threads for each well known gemstone. I will endeavour to put up clear photos of everything as well as put up a thread of the rarer gems and specimens I have

One treatment for clear quartz and topaz is putting a thin metallic film over the pavilion (thin-film disposition) of a clear stone so the colour reflects off the crown to show the colours as they reflect back to the eye. Heres a couple of photos, as you can see once the stone is turned over you can see its a colourless stone apart from the pavilion

1550494891_609c8c85-ef04-4652-b3a1-a9e5439b5083.jpg

1550494915_31acde8c-b731-4e6e-bf04-98d5ff447a71.jpg

1550494937_cdd08700-88cb-4aa4-b60f-ecb7cb0c0489.jpg

1550495033_63960333-4da8-4bb0-82a7-c98fababe4dc.jpg

Thats a different treatment by the looks of it I think its a high heat treatment with titanium and a couple other metals whereas the others are a very low heat to no heat treatment (like its a printed film over the top)

Ok now I know what you mean... :Y: I have some 'Cobalt' Quartz that always catches the eye of people looking at my Display Cabinets.... Till I tell them it's 'Coated', they think it's real... it does look nice in my tables tho... angle it so it catches the light... :perfect:

LW....

So after some reading the aura treatment is done by adding heat and the metals to the quartz under a vacuum

Latest posts