Beach, Park, Relic hunting Shovels / Spades - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skexis said:
Ah, should have been more specific. I'm thinking of one of those serrated plug cutter spades, something like a Lesche. Was wondering what people here use. Have since found Greenhornet's post in the DIY section so I might have a go at that rather than buy one.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: As I frequently tell my wife, if you want me to understand, you will have to really specific.

If you can get the job done with something small, fits in a pouch on your belt, stick with it.

I really like the look of some of the Black Ada spades out of the UK, (Lance uses the Spartan) but if you are digging parks and other public places you dont need a big red spade advertising your adventures.

You could be the best plug cutter on the block, you will still get nasty looks and council groundskeepers chasing you off. Plus you have to lug it on your hip or shoulder for hours.

I guess its a different game in the UK, working permissions, every cow paddock has once had a Celt, Saxon, Roman, etc stumble across it at one point in time. Pulling a 12th century hammered silver from the ground for them lucky buggers is a fairly modern coin by their standards.

I was generously gifted a Tyger Cub digger from a top bloke, Smokey Bandit. He bought himself a new one, Ill tell you though the one he sent me will probably still be new looking in 20 years time they are made so well.

As far as coin shooting goes there is not much else you need, I did grab one of those brass treasure probes, handy for flicking out $1/$2 coins, especially for a Nox user.

On a budget, hard to go past the Fiskars Nyglass diggers from Bunnings, they can surprisingly take a good beating.

AussieChris said:
On a budget, hard to go past the Fiskars Nyglass diggers from Bunnings, they can surprisingly take a good beating.
Sadly every trowel type implement I've used hasn't made it very far. Maybe it's the way I use them

I just got the Fiskars trowel for ~$3.50 in Bunnings. It's going well so far and feels really solid.

and at that price it doesnt really matter if you break it .... or a couple!
I have 2.
1 is cut down a bit for sifting small amounts of dirt, the & other 1 I left as a full cup for spare.
they are pretty tough :power: :perfect:

I got one of those and cut the head down for doing parks. Never did use it though. Ended up making a small SS digger out of some scrap I had laying around.

I wouldn't recommend using it on any type of hard ground. The shovel head is real thin and light

I know the one you are talking about.

I would not use it for anything but soft sand myself, more linkages the weaker it must be, and they are not cheap.

I do have one of those folding army shovels that burnt the wooden handle off by jumping into a camp bonfire, I was too drunk to stop it.
Welded a 3/4 galv pipe socket to it and made a T bar handle from a bit of 3/4 galv pipe - good as gold and folding.

I did post a shovel design in DIY when I first joined the forum. My only claim to fame. ;)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=19869

Greenhornet_au said:
I know the one you are talking about.

I would not use it for anything but soft sand myself, more linkages the weaker it must be, and they are not cheap.

I do have one of those folding army shovels that burnt the wooden handle off by jumping into a camp bonfire, I was too drunk to stop it.
Welded a 3/4 galv pipe socket to it and made a T bar handle from a bit of 3/4 galv pipe - good as gold and folding.

I did post a shovel design in DIY when I first joined the forum. My only claim to fame. ;)

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=19869

Brilliant :perfect:

Im to time poor, so I just bought this - Anaconda NX6. It came today from the USA. None in Australia. Great tool Id say it will last a lifetime.

1564746421_5a80e622-b304-42de-b6ca-1df11146936d.jpg

THIS is the type off shovel I am asking about full length handle that screws together mean mother is one most 4x4 shops have them good for limited space to carry a normal long handled shovel
1564785624_bp90069167-yellow.jpg

So I was thinking, get things that can fit into I standard backpack. Searching for shovels, pans, metal detectors..I found this from Kmart for $8.50 in the camping section.
1571528496_223f1751-fcfe-4639-a45e-c09b583895e6.jpg

1571528497_5d8083fa-82c6-46eb-8ec2-09a3badb0193.jpg

1571528497_e07816de-4237-48be-aa67-1a259d5aa4c1.jpg

Anyone have one...good or bad??

Latest posts