Pink stones...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1384157205_image.jpg

Was wondering if anybody knew what these small pinkish stones are....
Thanks
Barney

Holy crap Barney where have you been? I dunno but....... they sure look nice, look like Sapphires to me. Nice haul mate, very nice. Nice Sapphires and Zircons in there regardless.

Yes it's a saphire area.. I do know they get diamonds as I've seen them, there is also a small ruby in there. Never heard of amethyst being there, and they look more pink than purple..

Nice haul.. I'd say you can get pink sapphires but would agree with Wal these look more like amethyst and by like the pinks I have seen.. Only one way to be sure have them tested.. Keep us informed they look amazing either way.

My own guess would be (purple) fluorite. Kinda what it looks like, to me!

The small lavender stones would be what is called pink sapphires.
Know it is a strange description but that is what they call them. :rolleyes:
Barrington Tops area or east of Glen Innes are two places you often get that colour mix. ;)

Very nice gems there Kingsolomon! The darker ones and maybe some of the clear ones I think are zircons, while an odd colour for zircons the pink/purple ones could be zircons too. I have found what I believe to be zircons and I am getting a red/pink colour but not pink/purple. They sure look nice!

Its mentioned here that they can come in a violet colour.
http://www.gemselect.com/gem-info/zircon/zircon-info.php#colors
And purple is mentioned here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zircon

1388139627_image.jpg
the pink stones...
1388139664_image.jpg
the stones under ultraviolet ..
1388139721_image.jpg
heatho showed me to test for Ruby's this way... Looks like they are!...

Pretty cool effect, seeing them light up was amazing, the pics capture it quite well but seeing them in front of you they light up fluoro hot pinky red and quite bright too, easy to see from 6 feet away.

Hope they are Rubies mate, looks promising.

Seems there is a fuzzy line between the definition of a Pink Sapphire and a Ruby after doing some more reading today, Rubies can come in any shade from Pinkish Purple to "Pigeon Blood Red", seems to depend on the Saturation as to whether it's classed as Ruby or Pink Sapphire, due to high Chromium content most Rubies will fluoresce un UV light except ons contain traces of Iron which absorb the light output. Both Rubies and Pink Sapphires contain Chromium.

From the strong fluoresence from these ones, they very well could be Rubies but..... probably need a Gemologist to have a good look to be 100% sure........

One article stated high fluorescence was more desirable as it proved high Chromium and another article said Low fluorescent stones were more desirable.

Confused, me too. :)

Hi All,

Your pink stones seem to be rubies which are pink sapphires. I have some nice dark red ones as well.

Sapphires that have chromium present are pink/red.

I had mine cut from a place in Thailand, Lambert Industries - Americans in Bangkok? a few years back. These ones came from Barrington area.
1388320220_photo_2.jpg
1388320179_photo_1.jpg

Nice stones!
Thanks for the info.... Had a try in the barrington area , found it a little difficult on info where , or you could have a look.
Nice work with the stones.

Barney

Latest posts