Stones I have cut

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Dihusky :D

Ovals in general bug me actually - they just seem to be prone to bugs. It's almost as if the potential for compounding error is built into the design or something :(

Small is beautiful - only 0.6 of a carat but a really nice shade of blue. The rough was like a light sky blue on light green - I knew this stone wouldn't be dark.

A bit small to worry about doing anything overly complex with, a simple square barion with a step crown worked well.

1550957070_52788319_196895704603032_4344984384890208256_o.jpg

Can't show it :(

Just finished a beautiful Harts range zircon in a pentagonal cushion. It finished at 8.3 carats and is a peachy-pink colour with slight brown tones. The high crown has really boosted the dispersion and it displays dispersion to rival a diamond!!! A mass of fiery, rainbow-coloured sparks and flashes!

But despite mucking around with white balance etc until the cows come home.....the camera sees a lifeless, dispersionless stone varying between dirty muddy brown and a grey smoky quartz tone :(

Video was slightly better but still can't even remotely do it justice.

Your Harts range zircon in the For Sale section is just lovely Lefty. I,m sure this one will be as well.

I never new anything about Zircons but after seeing that one, I have read a lot about them. I think the Harts range zircons are special!!

Lefty said:
Can't show it :(

Just finished a beautiful Harts range zircon in a pentagonal cushion. It finished at 8.3 carats and is a peachy-pink colour with slight brown tones. The high crown has really boosted the dispersion and it displays dispersion to rival a diamond!!! A mass of fiery, rainbow-coloured sparks and flashes!

But despite mucking around with white balance etc until the cows come home.....the camera sees a lifeless, dispersionless stone varying between dirty muddy brown and a grey smoky quartz tone :(

Video was slightly better but still can't even remotely do it justice.

Just need to invite everyone to a sunny day viewing Lefty. Took mine for a road trip to Glen Innes, they even surprised me again in the afternoon sunlight when doing a bit of show and tel. Harts Range zircons must be the best australia has to offer.

Aussie peridot, courtesy of SC. Weighs 0.9 of a carat and measures around 6.2mm in diameter in a Dutch Rose cut.

Beautiful material and I should cut it more often - such a shame the the best public peridot diggings in the northern half of QLD (Chudleigh Park) have now been closed due to public liability :mad: 8.(

1552806729_53903787_203334527292483_3482857609608822784_n.jpg

Finally finished what turned out to be a nightmare stone. As I work full time I don't always get a good block of time to work on a stone so this one had a couple of hours over quite a few evenings and took over two weeks to complete, including some solid hours on the weekends.

I have never had a stone exhibit so much orange peel on multiple facets and scratch... it was like I had a cat sitting on the 8k lap. ]:D I ended up re-facing the 1200, the 8k copper and my favourite 60k polishing lap a number of times as the facets fractured and embedded particles.

The pavilion was re-cut at least 6 times maybe more, all due to scratching but finally got it transferred last weekend and it took until last night to finish, but it was worth it in the end :)

1552810352_sunstone-3.3ct-aa-fruit-candy.jpg

The stone is an Oregon Sunstone, ended up being 3.3ct and 12 x 8mm, cut is Akhavan's Fruity Candy, just hope the client likes it.

(Sorry about the fluff)

Good one Dihusky. Looks like it was worth it in the end. I was looking through some old posts today and noticed that youve taken on a few stones that have misbehaved.
Lets hope your next project is less of a headache.
Martyz

Lefty said:
Aussie peridot, courtesy of SC. Weighs 0.9 of a carat and measures around 6.2mm in diameter in a Dutch Rose cut.

Beautiful material and I should cut it more often - such a shame the the best public peridot diggings in the northern half of QLD (Chudleigh Park) have now been closed due to public liability :mad: 8.(

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...787_203334527292483_3482857609608822784_n.jpg
Beautiful (like so many of your stones). Still can prospect for peridot here in Victoria but this might be better colour.

Lefty said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...787_203334527292483_3482857609608822784_n.jpg

Good to see my birthstone making an appearance in your lovely work Lefty!

It seems a darker green than I've usually seen. It's often a very light, wishy washy green, which I haven't particularly liked.
I like your one a lot better! So thanks for posting this and improving my opinion on it! :)

Cheers,
Megsy

Nice one there Dihusky :perfect: :) Did you approach it the same way you would approach Hogarth range/Springsure labradorite? I think they are chemically very nearly the same thing. A bloke from over that way told me that there is a public digging area that yields stones very similar to ours while those fantastically green and orange ones come from a private lease.

goldierocks said:
Lefty said:

Beautiful (like so many of your stones). Still can prospect for peridot here in Victoria but this might be better colour.

Cheers GR. Yes, it's just disheartening that privately-owned fossicking areas just keep closing down one after another. I never made it to Chudleigh Park before it closed. Fullarton river is on my list for this winter, hopefully it's still there by then.