Dont die in the Outback

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jaros said:
How do you tell anyone that they aren't good/experienced enough to do something that they have possibly dreamed of for a long time.
:(
You can't. That is the sad fact, but common sense has to be learnt not given which that young feller will never have a chance to get now {when it comes to driving on those type roads }but still a lot of young people right themselves off on our roads.

Best thing the wife and I did a few years ago was a 4wd course, one evening of theory covering everything from tyres, 4wd systems and their use, recovery techniques, suspension etc and a days practical driving in sand, mud, rock faces, gravel, hill starts, water crossings, recovering a bogged vehicle, snatching etc. Drove away from this with a new appreciation of the vehicles capabilities and a new found confidence in driving it safely.

some parts of some roads in outback WA (& no doubt other states too) are simply just not suited to most 2WD cars & camper vans. A fair few of our tracks & some remote roads are signposted "4WD Only' for this reason. Some of these more commonly used roads should have some money put into them but, rather than ban certain types of vehicles.
Its very unfortunate that a lot of young people (from here & overseas) want to go exploring, but do not always have the experience & knowledge to do so safely. There's good reason why the 20-30yo age group ranks highest in the road statistics

LoneWolf said:
There is nothing better than being trained to use new tools the Right way :perfect: ....... 4WD Training should come with the purchase of a 4WD....
LW....

trouble is LW, not many people are prepared to fork out extra $$ for this training. "I will learn as I go" has a lot of fatalities.

i now it off the topic but i went to wa last year i was amazed how many didn't know how operate there metal detectors just the basics,( caravans,4wds), in my past life i ran a caravan park from seting up tvs to how to engage 4wd my missus just used to piss herself laughing, and the same in wa ,tour operators want to charge 1500 bucks to wine and dine 20 people 1500 x20=30,000 bucks 2 weeks work yes there is things u have over heads but teach them basics spend time with them but it,s way to much money for retirees so i partly blame sales people and peolple buy the gear i been in metaldetecting game for probly 25 years now i never had a saleperson ring me up and say how r u going with my product ?..?

Flatlander said:
i now it off the topic but i went to wa last year i was amazed how many didn't know how operate there metal detectors just the basics,( caravans,4wds), in my past life i ran a caravan park from seting up tvs to how to engage 4wd my missus just used to piss herself laughing, and the same in wa ,tour operators want to charge 1500 bucks to wine and dine 20 people 1500 x20=30,000 bucks 2 weeks work yes there is things u have over heads but teach them basics spend time with them but it,s way to much money for retirees so i partly blame sales people and peolple buy the gear i been in metaldetecting game for probly 25 years now i never had a saleperson ring me up and say how r u going with my product ?..?
I agree fully the site seers out this way have about 0 on there gear they bought it because a tv show said this is what you need I have seen 4x4s bogged and no hubs locked in this one nob carried a generator around for 3 weeks which he couldn't start and had no oil in it put oil in first pull the amount of people who have all the mod cons and don't even know how to use it but the worse part is the amount of them killing themselves on the bush tracks due to no idea on how to drive on them 9 times out of 10 there are no signs or recommended speed limits you have to deal with stock trucks dust and then the road itself which can be in any condition in the winter months I sometime wish they put a ban on travellers on some roads due to the constant calls to go out and help or fix some people who have no idea what they are doing and when I say this this is their 4x4 or first time on dirt roads

Rockhunter62 said:
A good way to teach people a lot of these skills would be a course called "National Service".

Cheers

Doug
I am ex army and national service is not the answer armed forces is not for everyone but start young scouts and grougs like that when I took my kids camping and so on even driving around the property show them stuff what to do what not to do quiz them about things make it a game test their learning skils I know my kids can sort things out if need be

sorry dude but national service would have to be the most backward idea ever put forward its almost like communist statment

savage bitter said:
sorry dude but national service would have to be the most backward idea ever put forward its almost like communist statment

Wrong thread to be discussing national service. I'm sure that the Israelis would disagree with you. I only brought the subject up as I learnt the majority of my bush and driving skills from being in the military.

Cheers

Doug

It has probably been said here, but snake bite initially involves the lymphatic system and only later involves the blood stream. The two most effective things are binding the area firmly but not so as to cut off blood flow, merely to stop lymphatic fluid flow (this slows migration of venom into the blood stream), and moving as little as possible. So things like Epirbs greatly increase your chances by letting you remain still (calmy waiting :)) while people come to you. Racing across the hills to your vehicle, then charging off to the station homestead to notify someone will decrease your chances. Other things increase your chances - such as a mate with you (some venom can have you unconscious in ten minutes and unable to contact anyone). Also, don't risk you or others being bitten again by trying to catch the snake for identification - that is no longer necessary as we have a universal anti-venine for almost all snakes, and if not they can do a test anyway for venom type on the bandage that was in contact with the bite (I understand even that is now virtually unnecessary).

Some ten years ago, I had to talk two adult European tourists out of hiring a car in Darwin, and driving to Ayers Rock / Uluru for 'a couple of days'...
And they wanted to take a quick detour to the Olgas in that timeframe as well.
When I described the conditions, and suggested they hire a 4WD and plan for the distances involved, they got miffed.
One of their lines: "But it's only a short distance on the map" (!)

Fortunately, they ended up not going.

several times over the years in our inland farmlands of WA I have been waved down or just stopped to tourists dribbling over a map (& some arguing), or scratching their head at signposts, or been approached whilst Im stopped in a parking bay somewhere, and asked for the most direct route or easiest way back to town X. Most hilarious are the ones who are heading to a 2 horse town to see some tourist attraction they seen mentioned somewhere, thinking its a city with 5 star hotels & all the mod-cons.
But the common notion with most of these people is that they "thought it was an hour or hour&half at most out of Perth". When I ask if they noticed the km distances marked on the map the common answer is 'no not really, just thought it wasn't too far'. I then usually ask them how much fuel they have, & remind them to fill up at the very next town, BEFORE 5pm as most small towns close.
Yanks seem to be about the only ones with any understanding of long roads with scattered small country towns.
But what really stuns me most tho, is when I come across an AUSSIE somewhere out of Geraldton in the Midwest in the middle of the night on the side of the road out of fuel. This guy had his wife & kids in the car. He then had the hard decision of leaving wife & kids out there whilst I took him to the nearest allnight roadhouse. luckily for him only about 15km up the road, but he didn't know that. I usually have a 20L can of fuel but on this occasion I didn't as I was only going 500km or so & I knew the roadhouse would be open.

Ded Driver said:
several times over the years in our inland farmlands of WA I have been waved down or just stopped to tourists dribbling over a map (& some arguing), or scratching their head at signposts, or been approached whilst Im stopped in a parking bay somewhere, and asked for the most direct route or easiest way back to town X. Most hilarious are the ones who are heading to a 2 horse town to see some tourist attraction they seen mentioned somewhere, thinking its a city with 5 star hotels & all the mod-cons.
But the common notion with most of these people is that they "thought it was an hour or hour&half at most out of Perth". When I ask if they noticed the km distances marked on the map the common answer is 'no not really, just thought it wasn't too far'. I then usually ask them how much fuel they have, & remind them to fill up at the very next town, BEFORE 5pm as most small towns close.
Yanks seem to be about the only ones with any understanding of long roads with scattered small country towns.
But what really stuns me most tho, is when I come across an AUSSIE somewhere out of Geraldton in the Midwest in the middle of the night on the side of the road out of fuel. This guy had his wife & kids in the car. He then had the hard decision of leaving wife & kids out there whilst I took him to the nearest allnight roadhouse. luckily for him only about 15km up the road, but he didn't know that. I usually have a 20L can of fuel but on this occasion I didn't as I was only going 500km or so & I knew the roadhouse would be open.
I see this nearly every day people stuck on the road I don't think some know how big and vast this country really is and in most areas how remote to with very little shops and accommodation even some small towns can be empty when it gets dark

Latest posts