Detech 11" Ultra sensing mono vs. Detech 15x10 mono

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all -

Im currently trying to decide between Detech 11" ultra sensing mono and the Detech 15x10 mono.

Which ever coil i buy will probably end up being my primary search coil. Its currently my understanding that the 11" ultra sensing mono uses the newer spiral/flat windings while the 15x10 is using the older litz style? Please correct me if im wrong on that.

Based off of the sizes id expect that the 11" ultra sensing would punch slightly deeper on larger gold, while the 15x10 would have an edge in response to smaller gold, while also covering more ground per swing and being easier to pinpoint with.

With the newer spiral/flat winding in the 11" does it match the 15x10 in finding small gold, while still punching deeper on large gold?

Oh and fyi im running a GPX 4800 in Virginia, so the ground ranges from mild to very hot, and being on the east coast of the US emi is always a concern since civilization is never far away.

Thanks for any insights, they are greatly appreciated. I may have more coil questions in the near future.

Hi PG.

I am only getting my info from what I have been reading but it seems they both use the same Litz wire - it is just the way they are wound that is different.

Some good info here https://www.nuggetfinder.com.au/spiral-wound-coils

My reading would suggest the 11" Ultra will detect smaller gold than the 15 X 10 due to both a smaller coil size and the sensitivity of the winding.

Will the 15 X 10 punch deeper than the 11"? I am not sure. Phase Tech would probably be your best person to answer that type of question. If he doesn't pop up here you could try and PM him.

Cheers, NE.

The 11" Ultra will win on small gold, particularly under half gram bits, but also on specimens and prickly or hard to see gold.

The 15x10 being normal bundle wound runs very stable in heavy mineralisation. If the ground is on the mild side, the 11" Ultra will pretty much match it for depth, but in hot ground the 15x10 will have a slight advantage.

If you have a 4800, I'd probably lean towards the 11" Ultra. You can use Enhance in the hot stuff, and Sens Extra in milder ground. :pickshovel:

So i ended up picking up a used 11 inch coiltek elite from Rob Allison. So currently in my arsenal is the 11 inch coiltek elite, a 15x12 commander mono and 17x13 coiltek anti-interference coil.

So in my mind i will eventually need a larger and smaller coil, say a 14 or 15 inch mono and a 6 or 8 inch mono.

Right now im more so looking for a larger coil for big nuggets at depth.

So the area i have been detecting and finding nuggets in VA was found back in about 2011 by some friends of mine. They hit it hard for a few years till it got to thick to hunt. One of the patches they found at this place was 100s of yards from all other gold finds, and was initially found with a 9X12 nugget finder coil, when they found a 1.5 ounce nugget. The next trip out they used a NF 24X12 coil and found, i think a 3/4 ounce, an ounce piece and hold your breath a 7 ounce lunker at about 30 inches down.

But to my surprise that NF24x12 is the biggest coil they used. He has owned a 18inch and 24 inch mono coil as well but never really used them at this site due to EMI issues.

Now my understanding is, that a 14 inch round should out punch the NF 24X12 on large targets at depth, and that Detech coils seem to generally less affect by EMI when compared to NF and coiltek coils. However would a 14inch DD coil out punch a 24X12 mono? Please correct me if im wrong.

So the question is, is a 14 inch detech mono going to be a better option, or detechs new 15 inch Ultimate DD coil. Which would punch the deepest in fairly hot ground, with a good bit of EMI flying around.

I look forward to hearing everyones thoughts. Thanks

Here is some eye candy from my last two trips to this site.
1566933249_20190807_190732.jpg

1566933249_20190825_164303.jpg

A 24x12 is roughly equal to a 15" round for depth, but has good coverage and sensitive at the toe and heel to little bits close to the surface.

If you are after max depth, stick to the rounds. If there were nuggets found 3/4oz and bigger I'd be looking at a big Mono, but if you got bad EMI, a big DD will be better.

Q: "So the question is, is a 14 inch detech mono going to be a better option, or detechs new 15 inch Ultimate DD coil. Which would punch the deepest in fairly hot ground, with a good bit of EMI flying around."

The important factor in that equation is which Timing will be used with each coil. Does the ground allow you to run Mono coils in Normal timings here? If so, then a DD isn't going to offer you much depth improvement except for being less affected by EMI. If the ground is too hot though, and a Mono has to be run in Enhance or similar, then I'd say a DD should be on your shopping list.

Latest posts