QED Info Thread.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good news for all QED owners and prospective owners..... Howard has decided that due to the fact that customer problems with the QED have been practically nil, he has extended the warranty to five years. This applies to the electronics only on all units regardless of time of purchase. Obviously this does not apply to coils which have their own manufacturers warranty. This should instill confidence in owners that their investment is now more secure than ever. Happy hunting folks.

Reg Wilson said:
Good news for all QED owners and prospective owners..... Howard has decided that due to the fact that customer problems with the QED have been practically nil, he has extended the warranty to five years. This applies to the electronics only on all units regardless of time of purchase. Obviously this does not apply to coils which have their own manufacturers warranty. This should instill confidence in owners that their investment is now more secure than ever. Happy hunting folks.

Thanks Reg for the update, what a great move by Howard and shows his confidence in the QED :perfect: Have mine on order cant wait to try it when it arrives :Y:

Maldon Gold Centre said:
We sell the QED on a per order basis. If you want one we'll order it for you and ship it.

We have one in stock at the moment.

We have decided to discontinue the QED from our range.

It's a great detector, I have one I use myself and it goes everywhere with me.

Once existing ordered machines have been delivered and the new and ex demo ones we have left in stock at our shop are sold we won't be stocking them any longer.

To buy one we recommend heading over to Detech Australia and order a package from Pete.

The QED is a fantastic detector, highly recommended by us, we have only decided to discontinue them because our profit margins are too slim to make it worthwhile.

I am currently in Vietnam where a QED is being used by an Aussie expat as a beach detector. He has a collection of Russian coins, as there are many Russian tourists here in Nha Trang. The sand mode allows great depth and the machine behaves itself even when moving from dry to wet sand.
Most interesting, as beach detecting is all new to me.
The sand mode is most surprising.

Reg Wilson said:
I am currently in Vietnam where a QED is being used by an Aussie expat as a beach detector.
The sand mode allows great depth and the machine behaves itself even when moving from dry to wet sand.
Most interesting, as beach detecting is all new to me.
The sand mode is most surprising.

Since mode 16 beach mode or sand mode as you've name it which operates with no ground balance so it is surprising that his QED behaves itself moving from dry to wet sand especially as wet sand is supposed to be noisier due to more salt concentration. Therefore without requiring to GB in beach mode the QED may be operating somehow different in mode 16 to the other modes?

Tathradj said:
We normally do not engage with "Forum Wars " but myself and another person went on a full scale
attack to defend Reg against the absolute vile and disgusting diatribe that I have ever seen.
I have met both Reg and BugWhiskers in person and they are truly delightful people.
I now have a QED myself and owing to also " The Detectorist " actually demonstrating the machine showing it's
potential, I am happy to say that please, DO NOT read any thing negative that you find against this machine.
I really hate crap being thrown around when a lot of it is nothing more than Bull :poop: .
There is a bit of a steep learning curve but when the penny drops on how to run a QED, You will be rewarded
I assure you.
Now, Please, don't involve other forums in here. We keep a very tight reign on such things and I would really like
any one to discuss their findings here in our haloed walls. :gemstone:

The human being can be a very distructive beast for reasons i cant understand.

Im only new to detecting. Reg has been so kind to offer to give me some guidance in person if and when i purchase the QED. Cant deny an offer like that.

It has been very difficult to make a decision on the QED with the squabbling that has taken place. From a neutral beginner, that particular forum is doing more harm than good. Astounding.

Now, can those that have now had experience with the QED give me some feedback on how a beginner would cope with operating this unit?

I have been playing with a GB pro and im finding working out the likes of the gain, thresh, ground balance etc to be straight forward and making sense.

Cheers all.

Al.

My first detector and after a demonstration from reg and a few hours on the ground I picked it up no problems
And I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed
Works a treat

Agree on that one. :Y: :Y:
You won't go wrong with the QED.
" The Tester " and myself are about to embark on a few good articles about the machine.
Supposed to go today but the weather put a stop to it.

Aussiedigs said:
Tathradj said:
We normally do not engage with "Forum Wars " but myself and another person went on a full scale
attack to defend Reg against the absolute vile and disgusting diatribe that I have ever seen.
I have met both Reg and BugWhiskers in person and they are truly delightful people.
I now have a QED myself and owing to also " The Detectorist " actually demonstrating the machine showing it's
potential, I am happy to say that please, DO NOT read any thing negative that you find against this machine.
I really hate crap being thrown around when a lot of it is nothing more than Bull :poop: .
There is a bit of a steep learning curve but when the penny drops on how to run a QED, You will be rewarded
I assure you.
Now, Please, don't involve other forums in here. We keep a very tight reign on such things and I would really like
any one to discuss their findings here in our haloed walls. :gemstone:

The human being can be a very distructive beast for reasons i cant understand.

Im only new to detecting. Reg has been so kind to offer to give me some guidance in person if and when i purchase the QED. Cant deny an offer like that.

It has been very difficult to make a decision on the QED with the squabbling that has taken place. From a neutral beginner, that particular forum is doing more harm than good. Astounding.

Now, can those that have now had experience with the QED give me some feedback on how a beginner would cope with operating this unit?

I have been playing with a GB pro and im finding working out the likes of the gain, thresh, ground balance etc to be straight forward and making sense.

Cheers all.

Al.

G'day everyone.. I'm thinking of grabbing a QED as a second unit to my 4500

Couple of questions..

How many models have been produced up till now
Is there a favoured model, if so why
How does it compare against the 4500 on heavily mineralised ground
How does it compare against the 4500 on deeper larger nuggets

Not interested in any comments from air tests, in ground tests only please.

Thanks AL

BigL, to this date only two models of the QED have been produced. The initial model PL1 and the PL2 are internally the same except for the auto ground balance and extended mode which has been introduced for the PL2. PL1s can be updated at little cost to PL2 specs if required, although in my opinion this is hardly necessary. The layout of the PL2 is slightly different from the earlier model, with the readout and control buttons in front within easy thumb control, and the electronics and two lipo battery system beneath the arm rest, which makes for a slightly better balance. The PL2 is of course the current model being offered.
The PL2 although having auto ground balance is not an auto ground tracking detector. It is manual ground balance, and being such, can be adjusted to handle most mineralized situations. Many GPX operators prefer to run in manual GB using the auto quick balance button to retune. The QED is therefore not all that different in such situations. I have found the GB to be quite 'forgiving' in that in most situations it requires infrequent adjustment.
As far as depth is concerned the QED compares favorably with far more expensive machines, having the ability when used with small coils to hunt out tiny gold, but still having the power when used with larger coils to get serious penetration for the bigger stuff.
My observations are from extensive field use, and the recovery of many ounces of gold in various situations.

Outback said:
Redfin said:
Outback said:
The QED is assembled in Australia :Y:

All other detectors are not made here !

Jack

Fixed it for you

Fixed for me ? Reg has found more gold then anyone on here , maybe you have done better then ? :playful:

Cheers
Jack
Think he means this bit not the bit about Reg.
The QED is assembled in Australia from internationally made components including the shaft & supplied coil/s. :Y:

Latest posts