Stones I have cut

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yippee, little box in the PO Box, home... unwrapped and a beautiful piece of Horst's engineering :inlove:

1549624035_new-hall-2000-quill.jpg

New quill for the 2000, beautifully made and now collet clamping, all I'm waiting for now is the new spring and I'll be good to go once more.

Back in action! :D :Y: Looks really nicely made :Y:

Think I met him once at the Sapphire markets - old German bloke like Max, though not as "mad" as Max :p

Dihusky said:
Looks great, unusual for glass to hold that depth of colour, found it often kind of washes out as you cut. Happy Father-in-law = happy wife = happy life :)

Cheers Dihusky :) Yep, he was happy with it. Yes it did hold the colour well, you can see the swirls though. Definately some type of glass. Polished very rapidly with cerium, though very prone to scratching - I gave it to him yesterday and told him to be sure never to drop it on concrete or tiles, it probably :D won't just bounce off unharmed like a sapphire :D

Lefty said:
never to drop it on concrete or tiles, it probably :D won't just bounce off unharmed like a sapphire :D

Unfortunately not always unharmed. Last year went to re-polish a 2ct Lava Plains square cut sapphire after some heat treatment I had done. Somehow landed on the tiled floor with dop attached. Huge chunk of corner, gone. 8.(
Disposed of in disgust.

Mr Magoo said:
Lefty said:
never to drop it on concrete or tiles, it probably :D won't just bounce off unharmed like a sapphire :D

Unfortunately not always unharmed. Last year went to re-polish a 2ct Lava Plains square cut sapphire after some heat treatment I had done. Somehow landed on the tiled floor with dop attached. Huge chunk of corner, gone. 8.(
Disposed of in disgust.

Oh no :( :( :(

The only damage I've ever seen done to one was when a mate gave someone an 11 ct yellow (faceted) from his old lease - bloke took it outside to look at it in the sun and dropped it on the concrete while holding it in the grabbers, so it was sort of smacked between hammer and anvil, putting some little chips on it that are a little too big to polish out.

Pat Hogen said:
Lefty said:
Back in action! :D :Y: Looks really nicely made :Y:

Think I met him once at the Sapphire markets - old German bloke like Max, though not as "mad" as Max :p

He's got a nice BMW Roadster for sale, could see you in it.

Needs to have offroad capabilities for what I do :D

Lefty said:
Oh no :( :( :(

The only damage I've ever seen done to one was when a mate gave someone an 11 ct yellow (faceted) from his old lease - bloke took it outside to look at it in the sun and dropped it on the concrete while holding it in the grabbers, so it was sort of smacked between hammer and anvil, putting some little chips on it that are a little too big to polish out.

Mmmmmm. It was certainly one of those 'you've got to be kidding' moments.

I was surprised to say the least. Perhaps there were some internal stress's created by the cooking. But it was a big chip.
Fortunately I had bought the original rough from Coolamon mining many years ago so the financial loss was not so impacting.

I'm sure your mate would of nearly been crying over such a beautiful stone getting smashed and the other bloke hasn't been invited back since I'd imagine.

I've stopped handing mine over to be looked at unless they're in something, bag, box, whatever. All my old collection have been dropped on the conc by folks checking them out and then hearings "Ooopps, sorry!" Which is why I'm just getting rid of them.

I'm sure your mate would of nearly been crying over such a beautiful stone getting smashed and the other bloke hasn't been invited back since I'd imagine.

I didn't ask if the bloke who dropped it is still alive :lol:

I remember my Dad hitting a 40-odd carat one with the point of the pick while the stone was resting up against a billy boulder in the concrete-hard wash band. Brother and I were playing with our toy trucks in a mullock heap and we rushed over to the hole to see what the stream of screaming expletives was about :lol: :lol: He reckons he saw it and registered what it was - but was already committed to taking the swing. He ended up getting all the pieces back from the bottom of the hole and got 3 smaller stones cut from them. Would have cut a really nice single stone if he hadn't made a direct hit on it :D

Cheers guys :) Still got a few more that should turn out similar, I'm hoping.

There's nothing quite like beautiful sapphire blue. :)
Another lovely one Lefty! Love your work!

Cheers,
Megsy

Thanks Megsy :) Coming up next (don't think I'll finish it today though), a yellow topaz from Far North QLD, courtesy of Sneaky Cuttlefish :Y:

A very nice 2.55 carat yellow topaz, hailing from Far North Queensland, courtesy of Sneaky Cuttlefish :) Cut in Akhavan's "Lassitude" - an oval but not an oval brilliant (ie, not a "stretched out" round brilliant as such, the crown facet arrangement is a bit different). The stone itself cut and polished nicely but the design gave me some grief in getting everything lined up neatly. In the end I brought it all in nice and sharp but by that time I was indeed filled with lassitude. Have to be careful trying designs with names like that, the designer usually named them for a reason :D

To the eye, this topaz is a nice champagne colour, very similar to Springsure labradorite, but brighter and more sparkly since it's topaz not feldspar.

1550273782_51895195_194704574822145_8959459675338702848_o.jpg

1550273802_52087512_194704858155450_2517947606894641152_o.jpg

1550273821_52516516_194704391488830_1222192356359405568_n.jpg

Latest posts