You are not logged in.

  • Register to access all forum features  

#1

Mojito
Member
Joined: 10 November 2018
Posts: 26
Member
17 January 2019 06:20 pm

Hi All,

I found this on my family block in Queensland a few years back and have been meaning to get it officially indentified. Before doing so I was wondering if you all could tell me what you think? It passes the magnet and rub test. It is also completely different to the rocks native to the area. I haven’t seen anything like it since. It also seems heavy for it’s size at 392grams.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Cheers,
Moj
1547708176_6aa450d1-86fa-4b21-b9a3-889a0686aac6.jpg
1547708232_49dbf738-9e88-4543-8eaa-bb4ea43b7ba4.jpg
1547708259_45b471a3-26dc-44e5-a100-3ec47c171467.jpg
1547709046_75415209-d785-493a-aaff-cc4fb19a1bfd.jpg
1547709407_648e7e7b-9d4c-4c2b-8242-1c1dff3961af.jpg
1547709554_cc83b614-768a-4aff-b101-a34ffe90f0d1.jpg


No Ring Pull Left Behind!!!

2 users like this post: Gravity, EVIE/BEE

#2

Gravity
Member
Joined: 18 May 2015
Posts: 563
Member
17 January 2019 06:25 pm

Looks the goods but could also be fossilized Dinosaur dun, I would be happy with both outcomes big_smile


GPX 5000 sPO1
Life's a garden Dig It.

#3

Mojito
Member
Joined: 10 November 2018
Posts: 26
Member
17 January 2019 06:46 pm

Thanks Gravity! I would be happy with either result too lol


No Ring Pull Left Behind!!!

1 user likes this post: Gravity

#4

unindexed
Member
From: , QLD
Joined: 17 January 2019
Posts: 12
Member
17 January 2019 06:51 pm

Beware, if this is a meteorite - do not get attack by alien bacteries! xD

1 user likes this post: Gravity

#5

dam it
Member
Joined: 10 January 2016
Posts: 1,458
Member
17 January 2019 06:54 pm

Gravity wrote:

Looks the goods but could also be fossilized Dinosaur dun, I would be happy with both outcomes big_smile

lol lol Looks more like a "Joe Dirt " poop lol lol wink


We have Lumps of it out the back ................

2 users like this post: Smoky bandit, Gravity

#6

MegsyB007
Member
Joined: 10 September 2018
Posts: 720
Member
17 January 2019 07:03 pm

I'm no expert, but with what I've read about them, this seems like it could be one to me. thumbsup
I'd be getting it tested.


The Australian bush - love it - take care of it.

2 users like this post: Gravity, grumpygold

#7

Ward69
Member
Joined: 16 May 2018
Posts: 304
Member
17 January 2019 07:11 pm

Agree get it tested

1 user likes this post: Gravity

#8

Gravity
Member
Joined: 18 May 2015
Posts: 563
Member
17 January 2019 07:13 pm

MegsyB007 wrote:

I'm no expert, but with what I've read about them, this seems like it could be one to me. thumbsup
I'd be getting it tested.

I hope so for Mojito, be worth quite a few bucks thumbsup


GPX 5000 sPO1
Life's a garden Dig It.

2 users like this post: MegsyB007, grumpygold

#9

MegsyB007
Member
Joined: 10 September 2018
Posts: 720
Member
17 January 2019 07:28 pm

Yes, fingers crossed for a good result. I wouldn't sell it though. It would be such a blast to own something that came from outer space! Very cool! big_smile


The Australian bush - love it - take care of it.

1 user likes this post: Gravity

#10

goldierocks
Member
Joined: 10 January 2015
Posts: 1,383
Member
17 January 2019 09:04 pm

Don't like to be a wet blanket but it does not look like one to me. Seems to have a weak fabric in it and to be intensely weathered. What is the SG?


Robert Benchley...
I have kleptomania, but when it gets bad, I take something for it.

2 users like this post: grubstake, Syndyne

#11

Ded Driver
Member
From: West of the Border, WA
Joined: 27 May 2018
Posts: 917
Member
17 January 2019 09:30 pm

try here
http://www.meteorites.com.au/found.html
I have been told before that you cant keep meteorites
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-15/ … ty/7091562
Ive also seen ironstone like that before, just heavily weathered


APLA member, ML GPX 4000, ML SD2100, ML Xterra 705 Dual Pack, ML GM1000, sP01 Enhancer, Garmin GPSMAP 64S, kti PLB, a map, all sorts of coils & a cupla buckets full of hope & enthusiasm

1 user likes this post: grumpygold

#12

MegsyB007
Member
Joined: 10 September 2018
Posts: 720
Member
17 January 2019 10:25 pm

Interesting reading there Ded Driver.
You learn something everyday...

But I'm still not writing off that rock on this thread. It looks similar to one on that information - just very weathered.

1547724297_meteorite.jpg


The Australian bush - love it - take care of it.

1 user likes this post: Ded Driver

#13

Smoky bandit
Member
Joined: 05 April 2016
Posts: 3,937
Member
17 January 2019 10:30 pm

You have to put it back where you found it. lol lol lol lol thumbsup


No pain No gain..

#14

Ded Driver
Member
From: West of the Border, WA
Joined: 27 May 2018
Posts: 917
Member
17 January 2019 10:38 pm

MegsyB007 wrote:

Interesting reading there Ded Driver.
You learn something everyday..

But I'm still not writing off that rock on this thread. It looks similar to one on that information - just very weathered.

yep Megsy, its still possible!
its makes interesting reading sometimes, the unique minerals that some meteorites hold


APLA member, ML GPX 4000, ML SD2100, ML Xterra 705 Dual Pack, ML GM1000, sP01 Enhancer, Garmin GPSMAP 64S, kti PLB, a map, all sorts of coils & a cupla buckets full of hope & enthusiasm

1 user likes this post: MegsyB007

#15

Mojito
Member
Joined: 10 November 2018
Posts: 26
Member
18 January 2019 09:17 am

Thanks very much for all the advice everyone. It's much appreciated big_smile
The thing that got me is the apparent fusion crust. You can see it has a burnt black layer on the outside that I suspect has changed to a red/brown colour due to being exposed to the environment for a long period of time. Back in my initial research I found a picture of a small stone meteorite found in Australia with a very similar colouration. And it also has no sharp edges which is another indicator.
Also, unless the laws have changed since I last checked a couple of years ago, I should be fine to keep it as found it in Queensland on my own land. I believe in WA and SA they are property of the Crown. The laws differ for each state.
So with that in mind, the next step is to get it officially identified, and any recommendations you have on the best place do that would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks again,

Moj

Last edited by Mojito (18 January 2019 09:19 am)


No Ring Pull Left Behind!!!

3 users like this post: Smoky bandit, Rockhunter62, RM Outback

#16

Smoky bandit
Member
Joined: 05 April 2016
Posts: 3,937
Member
18 January 2019 09:34 am

Mojito wrote:

Thanks very much for all the advice everyone. It's much appreciated big_smile
The thing that got me is the apparent fusion crust. You can see it has a burnt black layer on the outside that I suspect has changed to a red/brown colour due to being exposed to the environment for a long period of time. Back in my initial research I found a picture of a small stone meteorite found in Australia with a very similar colouration. And it also has no sharp edges which is another indicator.
Also, unless the laws have changed since I last checked a couple of years ago, I should be fine to keep it as found it in Queensland on my own land. I believe in WA and SA they are property of the Crown. The laws differ for each state.
So with that in mind, the next step is to get it officially identified, and any recommendations you have on the best place do that would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks again,

Moj

You cant remove meteorites in Qld either it's on your prospecting licence. ops
But Seriously who's going to leave a potential meteorite sitting there lol. lol lol Not me..Good Find hope it's real. thumbsup


No pain No gain..

#17

Mojito
Member
Joined: 10 November 2018
Posts: 26
Member
18 January 2019 04:56 pm

Thanks Smoky, I appreciate your support and comments. I hope it's real too. Also after some research online I don't the think rule you mentioned above applies in my case as I was not fossicking at the time of finding the rock. I was actually walking my dog and thought the rock looked unusual. I believe the laws your mentioned above relate to what you can and can't do when you undertaking the act of fossicking. The screen shot below of the QLD Fossicking Act 1994 (current as of 1 July 2016) explains this. Section 2 highlights that a person does not fossick if they merely pick a specimen by chance when doing something other than fossicking. I thought this might provide some clarification.

1547790404_f1.jpg

Last edited by Mojito (18 January 2019 05:23 pm)


No Ring Pull Left Behind!!!

2 users like this post: RM Outback, Wishfull

#18

Smoky bandit
Member
Joined: 05 April 2016
Posts: 3,937
Member
18 January 2019 06:02 pm

Mojito wrote:

Thanks Smoky, I appreciate your support and comments. I hope it's real too. Also after some research online I don't the think rule you mentioned above applies in my case as I was not fossicking at the time of finding the rock. I was actually walking my dog and thought the rock looked unusual. I believe the laws your mentioned above relate to what you can and can't do when you undertaking the act of fossicking. The screen shot below of the QLD Fossicking Act 1994 (current as of 1 July 2016) explains this. Section 2 highlights that a person does not fossick if they merely pick a specimen by chance when doing something other than fossicking. I thought this might provide some clarification.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com.au … 404_f1.jpg

Mate j would keep it to.. :)Fingers x it's real. playful Nice clarification to..I could use that playful

Last edited by Smoky bandit (18 January 2019 06:14 pm)


No pain No gain..

1 user likes this post: RM Outback

#19

Baldy
Member
Joined: 09 July 2015
Posts: 525
Member
18 January 2019 10:31 pm

1547810660_fdf2a4c6-ff82-425c-8645-39b3f26127dd.jpg
1547810661_9a310b19-e523-4399-b1b3-a06888e577e2.jpg
1547810662_da1f5143-3bc7-4c82-b77b-e0b22c6abe83.jpg
1547810663_eacb5723-6e64-4f07-8351-c30b7daa374e.jpgFound this in the West last year..It was on top of a hilly range, and there wasn’t a piece of ironstone within 3 km of it..It is heavier than you think it would be..It’s got thumb prints, and the back is dished out..I recon it is a meteorite..?The top and third photo are of the bottom which is dished shape..


Swinging a 4500 , 2300 .Digging a Keen 140 Dry blower, Smashing dolly pot, Laying back in a Chair..

2 users like this post: stoyve, EVIE/BEE

#20

Pat Hogen
Member
Joined: 02 January 2018
Posts: 157
Member
20 January 2019 08:28 am

Meteorites and Ironstone blobs are very similar, particularly iron vughs that are deteriorating. I like this page - http://www.meteoritemarket.com/metid6.htm


Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder

#21

Mojito
Member
Joined: 10 November 2018
Posts: 26
Member
21 January 2019 12:09 pm

Hi Baldy,

It definitely looks very interesting. The colour and surface texture seem to indicate a fusion crust. Have you tried the magnet test?

Cheers,

Moj


No Ring Pull Left Behind!!!

#22

Baldy
Member
Joined: 09 July 2015
Posts: 525
Member
21 January 2019 01:39 pm

Monitor, no it’s non magnetic..What made this really stand out was It’s was on top of a hill and no Ironstone within 3 km of it..and it is quite heavy..Smooth glazed and thumb prints..?


Swinging a 4500 , 2300 .Digging a Keen 140 Dry blower, Smashing dolly pot, Laying back in a Chair..

#23

Skexis
Newbie
Joined: 20 January 2019
Posts: 8
Newbie
11 February 2019 10:10 pm

I believe all meteorites in Australia are classed as the property of the state in which they're found. You're supposed to hand them in but tbh you may as well just leave them where you find them as it's less troublesome.

FWIW I think I saw one land once - a small pebble sized whatnot fell fairly close to me and as it fell it left a small smoke trail. Trajectory was too steep to have been thrown and in any case there was no one around at the time. Didn't bother picking it up as I remember seeing the film The Blob hmm

2 users like this post: Mojito, Gravity

#24

Sandta
Member
From: Newcastle, NSW
Joined: 04 June 2014
Posts: 4,026
Member
12 February 2019 06:25 am

Maybe just a 'dark crystal' wink smile

1 user likes this post: Mojito

#25

Adrian ss
Member
Joined: 08 December 2018
Posts: 46
Member
16 February 2019 05:40 pm

Appears to have a fusion crust with some flow lines.
May be a chondrite of some kind that landed a long time ago.
You need an expert to take a look at it.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1AO … 42&bih=768

We are living on a space rock that will become a meteorite when it spears into the sun or Jupiter or something.
Our galaxy formed not all that long after the beginning of the universe and the earth formed as part of the galaxy. So the whole deal probably started when Big G lit up a cig and we are just a part of his match flash. sad

Last edited by Adrian ss (16 February 2019 05:52 pm)

1 user likes this post: Mojito

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site

Top