Dont die in the Outback

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I woud like to know the cause of course, but 500 metres from the Caravan park, in this case, could be at the bottom of a cliff, as the CP is at the bottom of Nameless. Could also be snake, foul play, and heat of course, if she was on her way back after climbing Nameless in the heat.

Never the less, what a sad loss.

Rob P.

Ded Driver said:
working post now. much the same as my 1st post!
very sad outcome
sounds a bit suss tho. Only about 500m from the Caravan park!!

The thing is you should be able to be heard screaming from 500 mtrs.-unless gagged/knocked out.

I got the heat wobbles last friday. I went fossicking after work and am very used to operating in hot and humid conditions however
didnt hydrate properly during work hours and then when I went fossicking I wondered a bit further then normal and drained
my camelbak before heading back to the car. The last 100m took at least 20min to walk as I had to keep stopping and cooling down.
Was a big eye opener for me to stop pushing the limits. At sunset it was still 40deg and almost 70% humidity.

Jaros said:
Ded Driver said:
working post now. much the same as my 1st post!
very sad outcome
sounds a bit suss tho. Only about 500m from the Caravan park!!

The thing is you should be able to be heard screaming from 500 mtrs.-unless gagged/knocked out.

The folks in the caravan park did hear the rescuers once they located her. ""she's down here".

A fall? There's some craggy areas with in 500 mtrs of the park.
Anyways. Quite sad. Poor kids.

Apparently she had her phone in her possession, it continually rang out for the first 24 hours she was missing, then went flat.
Does point to a sudden end.

savage bitter said:
a lot of what I have seen out western qld is know your limits no your vehical and what it can do and if the worse your car breaks down stay there do some reading on survival and bush craft a skill set that never a waste of time ask stupid questions a lot of travellers I have seen carry over priced useless junk that they don't know how to use and causes more problems
I have done a lot of searches looking for lost or hurt people and simple mistakes are the biggest cause for them to be put into the situation which could of been avoided
basic skills can help and be prepared
Very true mate
What a lot of people dont realize is that those of us that do a lot of prospecting are gdually re ote and by ourselves
At my age i cant handle silly buggers out with me and getting gold fever .
Also like to piont ouf that you can spend as much as gou want on sat phones etc but many real remote areas there is no reception .
Com on sense is your main line of defence .
Know the bush well is your best thing you can do

Bit of a reminder & lesson from the history books ... I was scanning thru old ABC stories when i came across this one from 4th July 2011.
Its a good idea to have at least 1 emergency item (PLB?) handy at all times even when in the vehicle so it can be grabbed when you have to get out in a hurry.
From this I've decided to make a dedicaded holder on my dash for my PLB
https://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2011/07/04/3260729.htm

yep. the Ford Ranger (& another brand I dont recall) had an issue last year with a guard on the exhaust/DPP collecting grass & catching fire. A friend of my brother had his Ranger go up in flames with that problem.
Always good to be thinking about your exhaust when driving over long grass (or spinifex)!
In my 4WD i have a small extinguisher & a fire blanket under my front seat, & a large extinguisher in the back.

I think this story is very relevant to many of us who travel long distances into Never Never Land, especially on gravel roads.
take care everyone. Drive safe.
"Mother of backpacker killed on outback WA-NT Tanami Road wants greater awareness of the dangers"
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02...plea-after-son-killed-on-tanami-road/10812252
further down the page it goes into "Call for limit to suitable vehicles"

Ded Driver said:
I think this story is very relevant to many of us who travel long distances into Never Never Land, especially on gravel roads.
take care everyone. Drive safe.
"Mother of backpacker killed on outback WA-NT Tanami Road wants greater awareness of the dangers"
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02...plea-after-son-killed-on-tanami-road/10812252
further down the page it goes into "Call for limit to suitable vehicles"
I don't think banning types of vehicals will work the big issue which they don't teach drivers is DRIVE TO CONDITIONS I live on these roads and I have seen 4x4s trucks bikes and al sorts of cars wrecked city people drive like its a highway on our dirt roads with the attitude no cops here go for it and dirt roads can change with in hours from dusty to slop big wheel tracks from the last person so its sad he died but nothing will stop this from happening again unless you DRIVE TO CONDITIONS

Latest posts