Willoughby information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has ever had any luck finding a aluminium/stainless sieve that is wet rated and is larger than 450mm diameter.

My old willoughby sieve has given up the ghost and I'm having absolutely not luck sourcing anything bigger than 450mm. :brokenh:

Anything between 500mm and 650mm with a mesh between 4.5mm and 5mm would be ideal. Unfortunately I'm not quite handy enough to make my own.

We are taking the little ones fossicking for the first time at the end of the month but need to get the gear sorted!

Thanks!

If you have a Brickies or a Concreters Supply company in your area, they sell the large wooden Sieves for sieving Sand... Where are you located?
The larger 17 inch aluminium sieves are 420mm.. would that be big enough?

LW...

LoneWolf said:
If you have a Brickies or a Concreters Supply company in your area, they sell the large wooden Sieves for sieving Sand... Where are you located?
The larger 17 inch aluminium sieves are 420mm.. would that be big enough?

LW...

Hi Lone Wolf,
That is a good idea! I'm on Brisbane southside. The old sieve is approx 600mm so I was looking for something around the same size.

420mm may do though if a good price. The only one I can find is completely stainless, 450mm with a 4.5mm mesh and is around the $115 mark including freight. Ouch!

I just did a search for sand sieves but I had no luck. :mad:

Where would I find the 420mm ones?
Thanks for your help!

The only place I know is at Deepwater, near Glen Innes for the 17 inch ones at a store called Mr Tumbles.......... or Aussie Sapphire..
https://aussiesapphire.com.au/ .... Aussie Sapphire only have the 13 inch tho...

There is a Concreters supply store at Labrador that stocked them... I will call in tomorrow and have a look for you....

LW....

LoneWolf said:
The only place I know is at Deepwater, near Glen Innes for the 17 inch ones at a store called Mr Tumbles.......... or Aussie Sapphire..
Aussie Sapphire only have the 13 inch tho...

There is a Concreters supply store at Labrador that stocked them... I will call in tomorrow and have a look for you....

LW....

I just had a look on the website for Mr Tumbles and they have the one I'm after listed, but whether it's in stock is another thing. Might just be a sign though as we are travelling through deepwater when we go on our rock hunt at the end of the month.

You have been so helpful, I really appreciate it. :D

I'd be very interested to know how big the sand screens are and the mesh guage. Something to investigate further for sure! I wouldnt want you to go out of your way just for me though!

Have to go next door to them tomorrow, so no probs. :Y: ... Give Mr Tumbles a call after 10 am(late starters) and see if they have them in stock 0267 345313 or Email [email protected]............ They are getting Hard to find now... I will Let you know...
My Sand Sieve is 510mm Dia.... and 3/16 or 2.5mm mesh... but they come in different sizes..

LW...

Ended up getting a 450mm from CMT equipment in Tweed Heads. They have lots of sieves and were extremely helpful. Would recommend anyone who needs something similar to give Dave a tingle. Thinner stainless and mesh than the old sieve but they were the only supplier I could find in Aus. With a bit of reinforcing it should work a treat and last a while.

1549795457_screenshot_20190210-204002_gallery.jpg

Willoughby ideas for anyone Interested. Just finished knocking that one up myself. Ready for my next trip!

Cheers marksman. Will do! Did a test run with a bucket of wash... chucked in 10 small sapphire chips. Works a treat.

Latest posts