Metal detector advice over $1500

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Second hand GPX4500 would be my choice but hten I'm biased.

The reason being that you have a HUGE choice of coils and also the newer coiltek coils make the 4500 a very serious unit.

Given the 4500 has been around for many years you may get an older one with no warranty.. But watch the s/n some are stolen and turn up on ebay.
Check S/N with minelab good luck. Maybe put in wanted to buy on this forum. Its like going fishing. You never know what may turn up.

Cheers

Looking to buy my first detector. I'm wanting to find gold (not too deep).
Recommendations please up to approx $3k.
Thank you

Hi there Im after opinions on what would be a reasonably good gold detector, preferably minelab. Detecting for gold in the golden triangle area. Money wise Im thinking up to about $3000.

I have a GP3500 for sale on this forum with a wide range of coils & accessories to suit both small gold & deeper gold. The audio is clear & easy to discern. It is under your budget & would be a great starting point.

I would also be happy to give tuition in it in the Golden Triangle if that would be beneficial.

If you would like to know more let me know.

So I have been told a GP 3500, a 4500 or a SDC 2300. So what are the differences pros, cons, which works better, ease of use etc, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Trace
Hear is the link to the one Old Hand referred to. The 4500 is a great all round machine and at this price is a good deal.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=37687
The SDC is more suited to small gold which is more readily found. It depends on what you prefer, small regular gold with the SDC, or the less regular bigger gold with the 4500.

For ease of use, the SDC2300. Turn it on, noise cancel, ground balance, detect. It is like a vacuum for small nuggets. Handles mineralised ground quite nicely.

The GP3500 works almost as well as the 2300 with the Sadie coil on small gold. With the other coils, it can punch a lot deeper. It is a lot heavier than the 2300, but can be more versatile. The harness & bungy cord help to alleviate that heaviness.

The 4500 I have not used, but is a step above the GP3500, offering more adjustments to finer tune to suit different areas. It too can be used with multiple coils to find smaller or deeper gold. It will be a similar weight to the 3500 in that you will need a bungy cord. More complex of the 3 detectors if you are starting out.

Others will chime in with their thoughts

SDC is very easy to use for up to 4 hours at a time but is not the most ergonomic detector out there. It is the best detector for beginners in my opinion, because if it makes a noise there is almost always a piece of metal under the coil. If you get a GP or GPX series detector you have to learn how to set it up correctly or you will find yourself chasing a lot of false signals. If you're in it for the long run I reckon that you will find more gold with a gpx4500 than a SDC but the SDC will get you some colour quicker.

Thanks everyone for your help, its very much appreciated. Just one more question and this is way out in left field, plus Im not sure if I should go this high.Hubby and I were shooting the breeze over spending x amount, blah blah blah. Anyways views on the gpx 6000. Remembering i am a noob and all.

6000 is nice & light so you can swing it all day. Signals are very clear compared to other detectors. Ground noise seems an issue for a few people along with false signals.

Everyone is still putting the hours into seeing just what this detector can do. For me after a very small amount of time out with it I am extremely happy thus far

More time out with it when the ground dries will see a more comprehensive assessment.

All good comments. The SDC is a more specialized machine, so I would not recommend it as being the only detector to have. I would actually suggest to wait with the purchase until you are able to afford the 6000, rather than spending a significant amount of money in older technology. The 6000 is a quantum leap away from other detectors and it might just be best to save up for it, if possible.

Latest posts