MINELAB F1A4 ex military metal detectors - tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gunsmith said:
So I did the L2 gain mod and the first pot and resistor set must have been faulty cause it went full ape sh#t when you adjusted the resistance up and down, second pot and resistors works a treat blanks out on a 0.13 nugg at it's maximum resistance or minimum gain still fairly stable but it's always been chattery at home as there's 1 lot of 3 phase power lines on one side and another lot of 2 phase running the other side not to mention the electric fence :lol:
Will test it out in the stomping ground this weekend thanks for your help auman :Y:
Good luck with it!

Sent you an email, check your junk folder.

Gday AuMan was good talking to you thanks for your time I will get my F1to you as soon S I can get to a post office cheers Muk.

Ironrock, it is hard to fathom, but that is just the way it goes.
If that specci was crushed and pressed into a more solid lump, it most likely would be detectable and probably at much better distances than it currently is.

AuMan

Hey Firey , Don't use DD coil , i was just checking is you were using that for the test. Follow above advice, is your test piece a solid lump, a flat bit, what's it look like?

1549533082_1549532906657560.jpg

This is my test peice which I found with my detector a while back. Solid and a little bumpy on the outside and around .90g.

Gday just wondering if anyone can identify who did the mods on my machine Im also trying to find some info on settings and what sort of performance Im to expect thanks
1567920567_ffbe4208-95c0-4151-96bf-c3cdb5aee78e.jpg

I have seen only one other like this and it was claimed to be by link technologies in Melbourne.

Thanks for the welcome and the answer AU man
I was almost going to sell this unit but started playing with coils and settings a bit and found its not a bad machine I am only new to detecting but not gold fever as I used to slice around the Vic high country a bit Im hoping to find some info on set up and running settings for this machine or if Im really lucky a post modded user manual any tips ??
Cheers Jamie

I have just added a blue ant pump zone to my F1A4 with 3mm jack and a digitech audio transmitter and receiver obviously set to (TX) transmit and I have to say two thumbs up. I have trawled the PA site and have noticed that people have hard wired their headphones and I know that some of the posts are rather old but it was a very easy upgrade. Cheers Andrew

Does anyone know what the current cost of a F1A4 mod is to get it up to spec i think it may be level 3 and are they still a viable option?

Thanks

Thanks been in contact with Detectronics does anyone have a modded machine and how do they perform in comparison to something like a 4500?

HI, I've had one since the l3 was developed and run it with detectronics wireless battery.

They are great and quiet when run correctly. easily picks up sdc fly poo with a sadie coil. very good on deeper stuff with 15 evo or 17x13 evo, roughly same as 4500 but my testing of it was many years ago. the threshold is super steady and less fatiguing than a 5k or 4500. but really depends on the ground.