Advice on a pinpointer

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goody2shoes said:
Do you really need a pinpoint?

Could I get away with out one,,?

Goody :)
I am confident that with any of the SD GP or GPX machines i could get within 1 inch of a target using a coiltek 10 x 5 inch joey mono coil. Using the toe of the coil it's not that difficult.
Depends on the operator, just takes a little practice.

EVIE/BEE said:
1968falconxt said:
EVIE/BEE said:
The GPX5000 and most new detectors have a pinpoint mode which is very effective. These things are a gimmick, I wouldn't waste the money.

I don't see how you came to that conclusion. Using a pin point function on the detector tells you that the target is somewhere near the centre of the coil (or the edge) and could really be at any depth. It involves getting up and down constantly, digging a hole and getting up and swinging over it. Digging again and looking and then swinging over it again, followed by scooping dirt over the coil until you get a signal. And you cant tell really how close a target is either. A good pin pointer makes recovery times easily 5x faster for coin hunting.

Using a pin pointer for coins means that 9/10 times a tiny little plug can be cut to get to the target with almost no impact to the ground. We coin shooters cant go digging large craters with a pick and later just back fill (or even not back fill). I wouldn't even bother swinging without a pin pointer now.
I don't remember ever going coin hunting. Not many coins in the gold fields, i've only ever found a few. Most targets in the gold fields are at depth up to 2ft or more. No need of a pinpointer here but just one question.. What do you do when you get a deep target in say Hyde Park? You would have to walk away or end up behind bars. I could not walk away. Please remember i'm on a learning curve here.

Not sure where you detect Evie, but over here the majority of target are withing the first six to eight inches.

I agree you don't need a pin pointer if looking for gold, you can usually find a target in your spoils with you hand and the coil much quicker than you could with a pin pointer.

Where a pin pointer does shine, is on a large target in a deep hole. As you would know, when you place your coil into a deep hole with a large target your coil can overload and you often can't tell where the signal is coming from. A pin pointer can isolate it. Saying that, I haven't used a pinpointer in a bazilion years as placing the detector into cancel can achiev the same thing.

In your last post you mention using the 10 x 5 joey, so are you swapping to the joey after digging your two foot + holes in which case it would be quicker and easier to grab a pin pointer or are you saying you're detecting nuggets at two + feet with the joey?

You definitely need a pinpointer if detecting on beaches or paddocks for coins/relics imho.

In the goldfields, If you're using a small coil then you dont need one really as most of your targets will be shallow.. If you're using a larger coil they help a lot especially as depth increases.

Thats my 2c having done various types of detecting sure you can pinpoint with the machine and this is the first step but the ensuing target recovery is faster, much faster, with a pinpointer......unless the pinpointer is a dud lol

madtuna said:
EVIE/BEE said:
1968falconxt said:
EVIE/BEE said:
The GPX5000 and most new detectors have a pinpoint mode which is very effective. These things are a gimmick, I wouldn't waste the money.

I don't see how you came to that conclusion. Using a pin point function on the detector tells you that the target is somewhere near the centre of the coil (or the edge) and could really be at any depth. It involves getting up and down constantly, digging a hole and getting up and swinging over it. Digging again and looking and then swinging over it again, followed by scooping dirt over the coil until you get a signal. And you cant tell really how close a target is either. A good pin pointer makes recovery times easily 5x faster for coin hunting.

Using a pin pointer for coins means that 9/10 times a tiny little plug can be cut to get to the target with almost no impact to the ground. We coin shooters cant go digging large craters with a pick and later just back fill (or even not back fill). I wouldn't even bother swinging without a pin pointer now.
I don't remember ever going coin hunting. Not many coins in the gold fields, i've only ever found a few. Most targets in the gold fields are at depth up to 2ft or more. No need of a pinpointer here but just one question.. What do you do when you get a deep target in say Hyde Park? You would have to walk away or end up behind bars. I could not walk away. Please remember i'm on a learning curve here.

Not sure where you detect Evie, but over here the majority of target are withing the first six to eight inches.

I agree you don't need a pin pointer if looking for gold, you can usually find a target in your spoils with you hand and the coil much quicker than you could with a pin pointer.

Where a pin pointer does shine, is on a large target in a deep hole. As you would know, when you place your coil into a deep hole with a large target your coil can overload and you often can't tell where the signal is coming from. A pin pointer can isolate it. Saying that, I haven't used a pinpointer in a bazilion years as placing the detector into cancel can achiev the same thing.

In your last post you mention using the 10 x 5 joey, so are you swapping to the joey after digging your two foot + holes in which case it would be quicker and easier to grab a pin pointer or are you saying you're detecting nuggets at two + feet with the joey?
If i'm patchfinding in the goldfields i'll use a 20 inch nuggetfinder, if i'm on fine gold i'll use a joey, if i ever go looking for coins in Hyde Park i'll use a joey...I carry enough clutter without a pinpointer. People on this post have taught me a few things...Thanks to you all.
Each to his own.

I got the Minelab Pro Find, worked great for a few nuggets but then it decided to have a mind of its own. If I point it to the ground it beeps, turn it towards the sky it stops. Didn't last long, maybe 6 months at best. Sounds like there's something loose it it now too as it has a rattle when the vibration is functioning.

Its always beat me why Minelab has never developed a mini detector with say a 3" coil, would be ideal for working shafts walls, levy banks and pin pointing! I'd buy one if it wasn't a stupid price.

BigL said:
I got the Minelab Pro Find, worked great for a few nuggets but then it decided to have a mind of its own. If I point it to the ground it beeps, turn it towards the sky it stops. Didn't last long, maybe 6 months at best. Sounds like there's something loose it it now too as it has a rattle when the vibration is functioning.

Its always beat me why Minelab has never developed a mini detector with say a 3" coil, would be ideal for working shafts walls, levy banks and pin pointing! I'd buy one if it wasn't a stupid price.

Like an Ebay I King, waterproof PI. $130 (a year ago $30) still cheap? Ive watched some you tubers using them in salt water, they seem to go ok?
Matt T

i have one of these ones actually works really well i it has 3 lights that light up and beep faster as you get close to the target.
even picks up small gold i pad about $45 but now they are $39 and the sellers seems to have 20% pretty often making it cheaper
i cannot compare to better ones as this is the only one i have and it suits my needs.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Portabl...h=item51b5a3a0ba:g:OdoAAOSwfplcI4WN:rk:2:pf:1

stevenj48 said:
i have one of these ones actually works really well i it has 3 lights that light up and beep faster as you get close to the target.
even picks up small gold i pad about $45 but now they are $39 and the sellers seems to have 20% pretty often making it cheaper
i cannot compare to better ones as this is the only one i have and it suits my needs.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Portabl...h=item51b5a3a0ba:g:OdoAAOSwfplcI4WN:rk:2:pf:1
I have been out with a few blokes who have those ones if yours works well you are very lucky because the ones I have seen were crap and couldn't pin point with any accracy at all

savage bitter said:
stevenj48 said:

I have been out with a few blokes who have those ones if yours works well you are very lucky because the ones I have seen were crap and couldn't pin point with any accracy at all

i must have got a good batch i have two of them i suppose with those hand made Chinese ones its a raffle as to which ones work well.

Hi everyone i would like to just say thanks to everyone for there input on cheap pin-pointers . I ended up biting the bullet and getting a pro-find 35 and love it , Should have bought a pin-pointer years ago for coin hunting ... Thanks....

I bought two of the black Garretts and they were good for a while. Both became unreliable after a year or so. They would false at everything. Ground balancing sometimes worked but only temporarily. Very poor service from an expensive item but they did serve out the warranty period.

My first pro 35 just about rattled to bits, Minelab replaced it and now the one I have is also getting that rattle feel about it like the first one, so not sure how long it will last, I have never dropped it or banged it on the ground.

WalkaboutOz said:
My first pro 35 just about rattled to bits, Minelab replaced it and now the one I have is also getting that rattle feel about it like the first one, so not sure how long it will last, I have never dropped it or banged it on the ground.
did they tell you what was rattling I knock the crap out of mine and it has never rattled

anyone got a land and sea the yellow one it has a light that comes on when near the goodies i like it light on and vibrating good for old guy

savage bitter said:
WalkaboutOz said:
did they tell you what was rattling I knock the crap out of mine and it has never rattled

No they did not tell me, my friend also has the same one and there's is also getting a bad rattle, maybe we just got a bad batch because minelab replaced mine within 2 weeks I had a new one, just a shame this one is getting the same rattle :-/ although it is working spot on as of 2 days ago :)

I need to buy a Minelab Pro Find 35 Pin Pointer. Amazon have them for about $136. These should be safe to buy - ie not a knockoff?.

Amazon carries nearly as much fake knockoffs as eBay. Have to be wary of any of the online stores flogging big volumes of stuff out of China & elsewhere. AliExpress, Bang-good, etc .. some of what they sell can be ok, but electronic gear of any type is always a risk.
I think DHgate.com is probably the worst.
Buyer Beware ... open your wallet with caution
.buy local, warranty cover, & support Australian business

Latest posts