Conqueror 490

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1549052148_2fb3ae6f-bd8b-4948-ba09-569ae2ee7d1c.jpg

Been drooling over these campers for a cuppla years but affording one was the problem,this popped up in WA for a descent price so we thought bugger it.
Got it home yesty,she needs a bit of a goin over and some tlc,was used on the beach a bit so a bit corrosion startin in a few spots on fittings and a few brackets but nothing major.
Has 2 old flexi panels glued to the roof that look stuffed down to a $30 ebay regulator,batteries are sittin on 11.6 which aint surprising,thats all goin in the bin today and i may end up rewiring the whole unit id say.
Let the fun begin,hopefully all sorted the next 8 weeks or so......

Good pick up :Y: Just watch how you load as their a fat little unit and once water tanks full only about 400 kg to gvm
I'm sure you'll give it the "toughen" up treatment going by your previous builds :power:

If it's been on the beach and salty, google 'SX50 Salt Remover" or Buster50, Buster50 has a detergent in the mix so it's a cleaner that you can put through a pressure blaster. Get some and give the whole rig a good going over. This will get rid of the salt and halt any corrosion.

I've been using it for years on boats and vehicles and the stuff is brilliant, I also use SX50 on the airconditioners at work as the building is beach front, extends the life considerably.

Batteries at 11.6v should be fine depending on their age, 10.6v is the 'dead' voltage, try giving them a deep cycle charge before chucking them.

1549079874_326ead37-5a0c-4372-8f62-a533ededfabc.jpg

1549079874_e9aad4dc-9135-403f-be6a-e6e8fc15d235.jpg

Near fell over backwards when i found this nest of wiring behind the panel,plus a transformer bolted under the seat,it must be 2kg.
All this will go and ill make a new panel,240 volt power will be minimal in the refit,ill get a sparky to help with that though and make sure its to standards and safe.
Got half the lithiums here for it,had 100ah of 3.2 cells here for ages,were meant to go in my new ute but been struggling with the thought of these under a tray,gonna grab another set and theyll be perfect for this thing.
Redfin i havent weighed it but they quote about 130 i think.
Doesnt need much toughning up dog ranger,shite set of shocks on it though,itll get some konis. Will watch the weight,i want to keep it as light as possible.
Dihusky will chase that stuff up,cant find sand in the chassis etc so reckon he washed it if it was on beach,all double gal etc underneath just a few powder coated brackets etc lifting the coat in a few areas.
RM wiring looks like the biggy sadly :mad:

Good luck, please post progress and any problems you come across. Does it have the original National Luma 90 litre?
The conqueror forum is a good source of information.

Redfin said:
Good luck, please post progress and any problems you come across. Does it have the original National Luma 90 litre?
The conqueror forum is a good source of information.

No he had a companion in it but we have 2 fridges and our waco 80 i just semi rebuilt so he kept his and i saved 1k,yeah i joined that forum a while ago redfin,was gonna ask a cuppla questions today but it wont let me post,email verification alert,i redid all that a cuppla weeks ago but not sorted still,some good info on there thats for sure.....

Well this has turned into a bit of a project,i found some surface rust under the powder coat in a few spots on the roof after strippping the flexy panels etc off,ended up taking it off and attacking it properly,thought conquerors side gussets were flimsy so made a cuppla new ones in 2mm gal i had here,side and front roof braces are bolted back on with ss 6mm bolts now,bolts threw the joins underneath now to,had to repaint the whole roof,panels are on and cuppla mates comin over to get it back on top the next few days,i offered free beer,there all keen :D
Where about 90% through replacing all the corroded nuts and bolts on the van with ss,there is shiteloads,we just bought boxs of them,cuppla pics showin b4 and after below.
Startin to run some wiring here an there,rewired from from front plug to lights etc,new led tailights and cuppla small work lights goin on the back for reversin at night,gotta speak to a sparky now and get a plan goin for the new control panel inside,mainly the 240 volt side of it,just received the votronics solar reg and battery monitor gear,all lithium friendly and bling bling,will be nice to know whats goin on with the display panels.....
1551399018_0a8a538e-2099-4608-8888-69886a6856a8.jpg

1551399053_8238a8af-c6ee-4aa5-9e3c-c98531cedf9f.jpg

1551399090_f1bd1209-a147-4f03-b5f2-eb097d355dc6.jpg

1551399113_c1209396-a4e7-4dca-ad73-9dc1b66bf5df.jpg

1551399190_497526a4-5c4e-4f8a-8d5e-a8228b484309.jpg

1553901030_a7548307-b15d-423b-bd9c-0784dd8c7bd2.jpg

1553901030_8b32c062-267b-4b0b-a90f-f87f4cbd9cd9.jpg

1553901031_7d2c21b7-33fc-45ce-a46e-ee9906b14e9c.jpg

1553901031_88f04123-edb9-4d0e-9921-c3682c7c5d54.jpg

1553901031_e6357a3d-cba6-4f64-afa3-91fbddf1f1d5.jpg

Camper is still in bits,where doing a bit more then expected really,while its apart i decided to do some mods i planned for later,just finished the control panels and tested them a cuppla days ago,all seems ok,wiring was a headache and im waiting on a busbar to finish.Theres spots for 4 speakers in the van so that was easy.
Hinges on the roof and body now plated with 4mm,you could see the roof flexing at the hinge area,dont know why this isnt done at the factory.
Persplex front windows that crack and conqueror dont fit anymore replaced with gal sheet.
Large gas and electric hot water system in the front box thrown in the bin,probably didnt work and well buy a portable unit as backup but bucket on the fire has allways worked well for us.
Had the front bed frame out and seemed impossible to put it back in one piece where it goes so 2 days went on that,it can unbolt in 2 pieces now and feels stronger then original.
At current ride height the limiting straps were maxed out,spoke to tough touring in vic and they sent new straps over 6 longer,koni heavy tracks are going under it but i have to make new lower mounts,suspension and hubs will be getting more work done next summer.

50 meters of pinchweld seal turned up the other day,i wasnt happy with it so it went back,thats holding me up a bit to start putting it back togethor now,hopefully the next week itll start resembling a camper again......

Loving this thread as I am absolutely useless at anything mechanical or electrical. Your work looks superb Goldchaser.
It is for this reason that I will never buy a caravan and go bush because if something happened we would be stuck.
Guess I am just soft.
Looking forward to the next instalment.
Cheers
Mackka :Y:

Youd be right maccka,and thanks,anyone can do it,ive got better over the years fiddling with bits an pieces but im still a backyarder,sometimes it takes me a cuppla goes to get things right,weve been alot of places and never been stuck so far,the 12 volt stuff mostly i find pretty easy these days,go get yaself a camper or van and get into it and out there,life is short...... :D

If your interested in lithiums these new ones at ev works i reckon are worth a look,that 72ah would equate to about a 120 agm,4 linked up theres ya 12 volt system at $464,check the weight out,the battery would be about 8kg.....

That's turning in to a work of Art, I can do all the fitting and fixing but that wiring is my Kryptonite, Lovely Camper, Indeed, :Y:

J.

Latest posts