Homemade Lapidary Gear..

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, after a bit of a delay(clean up), I thought I might show what a bit of 'imagination' can make... :cool:

Here is my Flat Lap that is actually made from an old Victa Lawnmower... The Fellow who made it used a lawnmower base plate, bearing and a few pulleys and mounted it on a frame....He has made a great little machine and I have used it heaps...
I have an old book printed in 1968, that has about 30 Plans of Lapidary Gear and I have made a few things from the book... Some good, some not so good.. {)
If anyone wants something and they are handy with tools, let me know as I might have a Homemade Plan for it... :koala:

Who needs to spend big bucks on Lapidary Gear... :)
1548324779_img_0220.jpg

1548324804_img_0221.jpg
1548324835_img_0222.jpg

1548324860_img_0223.jpg

LW....

Neat job there LW :D :perfect:

The iconic Aussie Victa - is there anything it can't do? :lol:

After seeing this thing in action I had to have it... :) I do feel the electric motor is a little too big... Might have to have a hunt around for something a little smaller but just as efficient.... The new motors these days are much better in power usage...

LW....

What size do you want mate, have a spanking new 600w 3 speed motor here all set up with the switch gear if you're interested. Too big for what I bought it for and came without a wiring diagram, that sorted though.

Thanks Dihusky, might have to have a look.... I have a mate who deals in Large Electric motors and he feels something might be better than what is fitted... But then again it has to spin a 5mm thick steel plate at pretty high revs...

LW,,,

Mmmm interesting... I will look into it further and get back to you (I still need to cut that Mookaite ;) ) ...
I have been 'advised' that something in the 1/2 to 3/4 HP range would/should be better but I think the torque of these motors is not up to scratch... I haven't used it much in the past 6 months as I need some new laps that are now back in stock at Aussie Sapphire. Large laps with a centre hole have been hard to find lately in Australia.. im keen to start doing some things soon as I have some Northern NSW Thunder Eggs that would polish up real nice.... :koala:

LW....

LoneWolf said:
Mmmm interesting... I will look into it further and get back to you (I still need to cut that Mookaite ;) ) ...
I have been 'advised' that something in the 1/2 to 3/4 HP range would/should be better but I think the torque of these motors is not up to scratch... I haven't used it much in the past 6 months as I need some new laps that are now back in stock at Aussie Sapphire. Large laps with a centre hole have been hard to find lately in Australia.. im keen to start doing some things soon as I have some Northern NSW Thunder Eggs that would polish up real nice.... :koala:

LW....

3/4Hp = 550W so about the right size. Anyway it's here if you want to take a look, we're around over the weekend.

Here is a quick guide to Thundereggs...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderegg
And a couple of pics of Australian ThunderEggs... Im lucky, I have a very local dig for these, but unfortunately its a Pay-to-dig site, there are ways around that tho... I have a mate that has some Eggs on his property that weigh around 6 ton... He has had a smaller one cut in half and now that is his outdoor dining table...
1548547850_375184_1374545222.jpg

1548547898_images.jpg

And you can never tell what is inside till you cut them... Different areas have a different filling ... Not one of mine, but a nice little Surprise...
1548547968_3.jpg

LW...

You would never thing they could even look that nice inside of them...

I have picked rocks and sparkling things up,

But have always put them back on the ground...

Is there any value in them?

Goody :)

Yes and no... Depends of what is inside.. Although the 'Leaseholder' of Thunderbird Park would think they are as valuable as Gold..... :rolleyes:
Some have crystals, some have no pattern at all ... As I said Natures little surprise... You cant tell till you cut them open... There is quite a few locations in Australia, with quite a few in Northern NSW.. Mt Warning area would be your closest... They are associated with volcanic activity...

Yes Jaros they are... {)

LW...

Now here is something very rare these days...
Back in the 60's you could find these in Doon Doon ck, near Mt Warning everywhere... But they are very fragile and if you had a look now you MIGHT find tiny bits of them...

They are the Quartz inners of Thundereggs found at Doon Doon ck after the outer has weathered away...
1548550703_img_0224.jpg

LW...

goody2shoes said:
Any at Coffs harbour area?

Thank you for the info on them...

No worries... As I said closest to you would be Mt Warning area , near Murwillumbah NSW... If ever you come up to the Con-Coast (Gold Coast) I will take you out to my secret spot.. ;)

LW....

Do you still find theses Quartz inners of Thundereggs ?

It's amazing what Australia has laying around on and underground,

Secret spot LW....would like that..

I would take you to mine if I had one :lol:

Latest posts