MINELAB F1A4 ex military metal detectors - tips, settings, questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone
Just wondering if anyone has tried the 12"nugget finder mono coil on a F1A4. If so how did it perform and what were the settings that were used.
Help someone can advise me of this.
Thanks
Firey10_0

Gday firery is your f1a4 modified I have a moded f1a4 and use the original coil also have a detech 11x6mono and 17x11 nugget finder they all work really well on it if you want to cover ground 17x11 or in tight spots detech is the go cheers Muk.

Hi muk
Yes my f1 is modified to level 3. Thanks for the coil info, I'll keep it in mind.
Thanks
Firey10_0

If you have FB

Search F1A4

There is a Facebook group , they should be willing to help

I tried one on my f1 and found it hard to use my f1 is moded by woodie I found I could not turn the gain up at all other wise it would signal on everything tried every setting combination still no good I was going to buy the coil from a mate he let me try it first Im glad he did I didnt buy it I now have a nugget finder 17x11 advantage I use also a detech 11x6 and the original army coil and they all work well on it cheers Muk.

Hi everyone
Just wondering if anyone has any xxxx settings for a 11" commander mono coil on a minelab F1A4. Just can't seem to get much depth with it. Hope someone can help. Thanks
Firey10_0

Hey Firey , you got the Modded one? - Depends on ground and what you mean by depth, large targes /small targets? what sort of ground

A gp extreme with certain mods by a certain person i think would be a ripper machine, But Auman has tested......

Hi eski
Sorry forgot to mention, level 3 model F1A4 and I was only picking my test peice of nearly 1g up at about 3-4in deep. I was hoping I could get a bit more depth with this coil. The ground I detect on is mild in most places but there are the odd hot spot. Hope this helps thanks

Hi Firey,

Some coils work great, others not so great.
I always found that the commander coils left a bit to be desired on the F1.
They are ok for standard settings, but once you start to increase frequency and gain, they can cause the filters to overload and make the detector seem somewhat deaf.

For a start try it in std frequency in Fine timing with the gain from FP to 3 o'clock and see if that improves anything.
If your ground is really quiet, try running in General with both channels..

Auman

Hi auman, thanks very much for the reply, I'll give that a go. Got the commander coil really cheap and it's brand new so thought I would give it a try. I'll let you know how I go. Cheers
Firey10_0

Gday AuMan I would love to talk to you about my F1A4 moded by woody I have a few things I need sorted out hope this is ok if you can give me your number I will give you a call cheers Muk.

Hi Muk,

PM sent.

Eski, these F1's still amaze me!
Was testing out a modded(by someone else) 45 that was sent to me for repair.
After the repair and some adjustments, the 45 was running quite nicely, however, the f1 level 3 still had it over the 45 for ground handling, sensitivity to smalls and depth on the bigger target, without fiddling with settings.
Your extreme should not be too far off now ;)

AuMan

Hi Firey,

I've got a F1a4 with a 11" mono coil. I don't seem to get a lot of depth with it, but my unit hasn't been upgraded, other than changing the coil plug. It'll pick up a ring at about foot deep, but the small stuff i've only found shallow. It'll find bird shot easily enough, but not at any great distance, probably 3-4 cms.

Interested to see what depths you can get.

Thanks

James

Aumans advise is right on!, i would try as Auman suggested, dbut run over the ground and see if it is stable with the 2 channels and gain/frequency as described. then up the frequency and gain till it is not stable, then go backwards a bit.

that is the general way of running, for a general coil.

you don't by change have the DD coil do you?

Latest posts